PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews:::Man ON Fire:::

SinisterProbeGt
04-26-2004, 12:36 PM
At The Movies

Man on Fire (PG) * * *

Kidnapping is one of the most heinous of all crimes. Just ask innocent civilians caught in the crossfire of radical Islamic terrorists who abduct and kill without batting an eye. Latin America has often been a haven for abductors. Master action director Tony Scott (Top Gun) returns to the fore with an Oscar winner no less to unleash us into a torrent of danger in Man on Fire, a case study of friendship and power from 20th Century Fox now gripping audiences at Vancouver?s Tinseltown (on Pender, free parking), Colossus and Famous Players Silver City Theatres.

Let?s just say Mexico City?s a rough town and leave it at that. Successful people need bodyguards to safeguard their interests and happy couple Lisa and Samuel are no exception. Lisa?s slim American blonde good looks please wealthy Mexican scion Samuel to no end. Both covet their young daughter Pita more than anything. Wise beyond her years, little Pita takes a special liking to her new bodyguard - Mr. Creasy. Somewhat of a recluse, Creasy comes across like a giant bear but hides deep dark secrets including certain closet addictions. No matter, the family embraces the wayward American with open arms.

Being a former military man comes in handy as the nation seems engulfed in a war with local opportunists who make millions taking hostages. While a bond develops between Creasy and Pita friction abounds in the streets with no one truly safe, no matter what level the protection. When a normal outing goes terribly wrong and bodies start to pile up Creasy dives into action, making use of all of his special talents to get the job done ? at any cost.

Violent, unpredictable and full value for its point of view Man on Fire tells the tale of a wronged man coming to terms with his inner demons and facing down a scourge on a country. Academy Award winning Denzel Washington (Philadelphia) fits snugly into the role of a reluctant bodyguard pressed into lethal service for the love of a child. Rising star Dakota Fanning (I Am Sam) displays both bravery and childhood innocence as a girl trapped in a deadly game of kill and seek. Parents Lisa and Samuel show their true colours through Radha Mitchell (Phone Booth) and Marc Anthony. Bad boy Mickey Rourke (Nine ½ Weeks) typifies your sleazy lawyer as Jordan with charismatic Christopher Walken (Catch Me If You Can) charming as ever as American contact Rayburn. Completing this multicultural cast is Giancarlo Giannini (A Walk In The Clouds) wearing a badge of honour with pride as Manzano.

Expect a gritty atmosphere of Mexican favellas colliding with fashionable villas to make this thriller high voltage fun. Heinous desperadoes run smack dab into a law and order type with his own unique way of cementing justice in this terrific homage to Dirty Harry?s style with its own panache. Slick all the way fun for 146 minutes that?s where Man on Fire earns its stripes.

pinoyhero
04-26-2004, 12:54 PM
I'll keep it quick so people will actually read this...

If you liked Training Day, you'll love this. I did so my rating for this flick 8.5/10