PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews:::The Punisher (PG):::

SinisterProbeGt
04-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Nothing is more important than family. Losing a loved one can cause undue emotional stress. Imagine the catastrophe of losing all one?s special people. Holocaust survivors certainly know that somber feeling. A special operative whose closest connections gets destroyed provides the perfect motivation for revenge in The Punisher, an action spectacular from Canada?s own Lionsgate Films and Odeon Films now unleashing just retribution at Vancouver?s Tinseltown (on Pender, Free Parking), Colossus and Famous Players Silver City theatres across B.C.

By now filmgoers know the importance of comic books as ideal source material for movies. After Superman and Batman reached the silver screens upstart Marvel Comics have provided a realm of film potential from their pleasing pages. Comic fans will be glad to know that the classic Punisher comic series finally gets top treatment through ace screenwriter Michael France, the man most responsible for reviving the James Bond series in Goldeneye, the first showcase for Pierce Brosnan. Now it looks like this latest France creation will surely be made into a profitable series.

Sunny Tampa Florida offers perfect fodder for the inspirational goings on in this story. When a ?routine? crime bust somehow goes astray crack agent Frank Castle gets caught up in the middle of a blood feud with dire consequences. Happily retired, Frank sees a family vacation turned into a horrific bloodbath when gangsters stateside come a calling. Left for dead, Frank miraculously recovers from death defying wounds to literally ?live twice?. Upset and madder than hell, the presumed dead federal agent returns to his stomping grounds to put the knee to those responsible for ruining his life.

Number one target on Frank?s hit list is Florida gang czar Howard Saint. Never to travel alone, and surrounded by scores of highly trained richly rewarded guards, Mr. Saint is no easy mark. Always out to shield him from potential trouble is number one troubleshooter Quentin Glass, a jack- of- all- trades and master consigliatore played to the hilt by Will Patton (Armageddon). Love of his life Livia adds lots of sizzle to the routine bound Howard who likes to make time laundering money for his Cuban connections. Everything changes when a bitter feud develops between Saint and Castle. Like scorpions trapped in a jar these two war machines use every nasty trick in the book (and then some) to do the other in. Blood flows freely at it seems the Florida authorities are asleep at the switch when it comes to cleaning up the streets. Viewers certainly won?t sleep through this action extravaganza which is somewhat reminiscent of the early Dirty Harry or Charles Bronson epics, only now we have bigger guns and louder booms. More fun and less seriousness rises to the fore in this tour de force thriller.

Usual good guy John Tavolta (Get Shorty), gets down and dirty to play mobster Howard Saint, whose sir name is anything but. New action hero Thomas Jane (Face Off) really gets put through the paces as Frank Castle, an innocent man who sees his world turned upside down by a simple mistake. Heaven help anyone that gets in this man?s way when he gets angry.

Fights to the finish abound in this film that rests momentarily with some comical characters and a few romantic liaisons. Temporary good girl Maria Castle gets rather short-shift through Samantha Mathis (Broken Arrow) before making way for Rebecca Romijn Stamos (X Men). Other fun characters to note in this crime spectacular include Laura Henning (Mulholland Drive) as sexy Livia Saint and Roy Scheider (Jaws) as Frank Castle Jr.

Co-writer Jonathan Hensleigh (Die Hard With A Vengeance) makes an auspicious debut as a first time director. Folks looking for explosive entertainment will have their dreams fulfilled by The Punisher, a man whose time has truly come.

403Gemini
04-26-2004, 02:32 PM
they screwed up his origin, i still cant get past that. i heard the movie is cheesy at parts too, another -1 for the movie. and rated PG for a movie about a guy who kills everything and everyone in his way? *shakes head*

comics just dont appeal to the 10 yr olds, punisher is one of the most morbid characters ever created. nothign is pretty about him, i dont understand why they feel the need to fuck up such a good character.

made him a DEA agent instead of vietnam vet
have his family diliberatly killed instead of killed in a crossfire of mafia shooting

man they bunked it.
heres the punishers origin straight from marvel.com

A born soldier, Frank Castle enlisted in the Marines. He rose quickly to the rank of captain – collecting two Bronze Stars, two Silver Stars and four Purple Hearts for his exemplary service in Vietnam. A family man, Castle sought to make the world a safer place for his wife and young children. Given this level of personal attachment to his military career, he was well on the road to becoming one of the nation's finest Marines.

But fate had other plans. While on leave, Castle took his wife and children to New York’s Central Park for a picnic. There, the family happened upon the scene of a mob hit. Finishing off their intended mark, the mobsters then turned their guns on the only witnesses to the crime. Only Castle escaped. As his family died in his arms, he was changed forever.

Castle disappeared for several months, going AWOL from the Marines. During his time underground, he gathered resources and weapons. When the former Marine resurfaced, he had adapted his fighting skills to wage a one-man war on crime – a war that took no prisoners. Castle made his first mission the murder of the criminals who had killed his wife and children.

Castle repeatedly has run afoul of New York’s other costumed heroes, including Spider-Man and Daredevil, whom he regards with a mixture of disdain and annoyance. In his eyes, he is the only one making a difference, performing the radical surgery required to root out the criminal element. The others, he believes, merely are placing bandages on gaping wounds.

While Punisher occasionally has cooperated with Spider-Man, he and Daredevil are polar opposites in their respective views of crime and punishment, and frequently clash when they meet. On some level, Castle enjoys antagonizing Daredevil, who steadfastly believes in the merits of the nation's legal system.

Punisher has served time for his violent acts, but always manages to escape imprisonment – either on his own or with the aid of sympathetic guards. Even in jail, Castle has continued his one-man crusade, leaving many prisons with fewer inmates than when he entered.

Through the years, others who harbored similar feelings or lost loved ones to comparable circumstances have assisted Punisher. Police officers and prosecutors, frustrated with the legal system’s shortcomings, have aided Punisher by providing him with information on criminals or turning a blind eye to his actions. Punisher prefers to keep such interactions to a minimum, however, going so far as to kill several copycat vigilantes. His mission and his philosophy are simple, but his alone. The Punisher does not seek followers or teammates.

Having long ago expanded his mission from one of personal revenge to the extermination of all criminals, Castle fully acknowledges that his crusade will never end until the day he dies. He is as disciplined now as he was as a Marine – gathering intelligence, setting objectives and always planning his operations down to the smallest detail. It is virtually impossible to catch Castle off-guard.

While the authorities and New York's larger crime families know of his existence, Punisher remains shrouded in the mystique of an urban legend. To most criminals, he is the ultimate nightmare – single-minded and utterly unstoppable.

im sorry, a DEA agent just doesnt seem to come off as hardcore as the REAL origin of the punisher does *sigh* thats my (tied for 1st) favorite hero bunked in a movie... and my 2nd one is about to be BRUTALLY slaughtered. Ghost rider. Played by... NICHOLAS CAGE?!? what the FUCK are they thinking?

sputnik
04-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
they screwed up his origin, i still cant get past that.

The screw up the origin of most superhero movies... here are a couple recent examples

- Hulk (where did his Dad come from?)
- Spiderman (Gwendolyn Stacey was his first girlfriend)

RiCE-DaDDy
04-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Spiderman and xmen are the only good comic movies so far, even if they arent completely true to the comic

accordboi_02
04-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
Spiderman and xmen are the only good comic movies so far, even if they arent completely true to the comic

I really liked the first Batman movie as well

Hakkola
04-26-2004, 05:08 PM
I hated spider man, lots of things bothered me about the movie, especially their retarded choice of using Mary Jane, and using an ugly actress to play her.

RiCE-DaDDy
04-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

I really liked the first Batman movie as well

forgot that one as well. original superman is good too

eckostyle
04-26-2004, 05:28 PM
punisher is r ... not pg ....

three.eighteen.
04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
especially their retarded choice of using Mary Jane, and using an ugly actress to play her.

i think kirsten dunst looks amazing :banghead:

SwitchBlade
04-26-2004, 06:23 PM
I really liked Punisher. Im pretty sure that he was a Marine then DEA agent in the film. They might have messed up the death of his family but i thought it was a good movie. I can not fathom this to be one of the most creative or original movies. However it was filled with some pretty brutal kill scenes and some sweet one liners. I would go see this movie again.

Thats my $10.95 :poosie:

hjr
04-26-2004, 06:54 PM
this is what im worried about in many screen adaptations. Writers/directors getting too creative and FUCKING everthing up. I was hyped to hear "troy" was being made (basically Homers "Illiad" and the begining of Virgils "Aeneid"). Im pretty sure it will be major fucked from the actual story (yes, the ones that lasted over 2000 years on their own). Many were worried about this with LOTR (1,2,3) as well but luckily they turned out well. I guess its totally hit and miss.

CKY
04-26-2004, 07:46 PM
the only comic to movie conversion movies that i liked was batman (everyone of em before arnold as the ice dude), to me comic to movie conversion movies are nothing but computerized graphics with an altered storyline and shitty overall movie presentation.

cman
04-26-2004, 10:01 PM
i thought it was a pretty good movie, other than the death of family but i thought the new method was alright.

Wildcat
04-26-2004, 10:06 PM
alien vs. predator will be awesome, thats a comic adaptation if im not mistaken. (the seperate characters came from film, but them battling each other is purely comic inspired).

edit: they have yet to make a feature film about my favorite Marvel character: "Silver Surfer" :) . BTW, I predict "Ghost Rider" will be a flop. :thumbsdow

RiCE-DaDDy
04-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Silver Surfer is a hard one to sell. Crazy-ass story and limited appeal.

method
04-27-2004, 12:56 AM
that was a horrible review.

403Gemini
04-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
Silver Surfer is a hard one to sell. Crazy-ass story and limited appeal.

i dunno... something about seeing galactus on the big screen.... sends shivers down my spine lol

and yes ghost rider will be a flop, i bring up the point again: NICHOLAS CAGE?!?!?

RiCE-DaDDy
04-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

i dunno... something about seeing galactus on the big screen.... sends shivers down my spine lol

and yes ghost rider will be a flop, i bring up the point again: NICHOLAS CAGE?!?!?

Hopefully we wouldn't see his face anyways cause he becomes the flaming skull

403Gemini
04-27-2004, 11:44 AM
hopefully they choose somebody else to be him when he is the "ghost rider" as oopposed to johnny blaze. cause hes supposed to grow like a foot when he becomes ghost rider