PDA

View Full Version : Buying Laptop Back from SAIT

Talies R
04-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Now that i'm finished my courses at SAIT I'd like to buy the laptop that I have been using, but according to they're policy they must wipe the HD completely before selling it to you... I'm wondering if anyone has got around this before, or if someone could tell me how I would go about copying all my files first. Thanks.

Gonthro
04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
just beg/borrow/steal/or buy an external HDD or and external dvd writer, plug it into your usb and copy it all over

962 kid
04-26-2004, 02:21 PM
just hook it up to a network and copy the files onto another comp

Talies R
04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
just beg/borrow/steal/or buy an external HDD or and external dvd writer, plug it into your usb and copy it all over

Originally posted by 962 kid
just hook it up to a network and copy the files onto another comp

Actually, is there a computer place where I can take my laptop and they'll do that for me? I'm not good with these things.

koopkoop2
04-26-2004, 07:04 PM
You should shop around before you buy out the laptop.

I graduated from SAIT two years ago and I had the same option. Are they still charging a grand for it? Are they still Toshiba Satellites?

I don't think it's worth it considering the laptop is used, it's two years old and it doesn't come with any software. You can probably find a newer computer with better parts and programs installed for the same price. Remember that buying the OS is around $150 just by itself if you do decide to buy the SAIT laptop.

As for your question about taking it to a computer shop, you won't be able to do it. It would be paying someone to pirate software for you, which is illegal. I'm sure there was one guy in your class who knows alot about computers and he/she will be able to do it for you.

bit-inc
05-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Use the Norton Ghost Program that will make an image of the hd. After you wipe it pop the disc in and presto all your stuff is back on.

Ashkente
05-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Or do what I did, and just have a linux install on there, change the LILO config to only boot linux, and just tell them you wiped it already :rofl:

Weapon_R
05-04-2004, 01:27 PM
I think its $500 to buy out. That's what my sister is going to have to pay for her Toshiba Satellite. It's not too bad of a unit.

Strider
05-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by bit-inc
Use the Norton Ghost Program that will make an image of the hd. After you wipe it pop the disc in and presto all your stuff is back on.

:werd: Norton Ghost is your friend

Melinda
05-04-2004, 02:29 PM
I bought mine back last week from SAIT. I had downloaded and burned all of my stuff onto disks and they wiped the hard drive and handed me a copy of XP with it to start fresh. I put my own windows on there (I hate xp) and then reloaded everything...now I have a computer free of all the crap that the school put on there and only what I wanted on there...cost me $280 when all was said and done, plus whatever the deposit was...still a good computer, does what I need it to and I'm happy :)