PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a capacitor

slaya15
04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
i have a pioneer head unit, 2 10" audiobahn subs in a dual ported box, and a jl 500/1 amp.

Should i get a capacitor??If so which size??

i havent hooked the amp up yet, but my car battery dies when i run the battery with the engine off for only like 5 min, which worries me, im not sure if that will affect it or not though.
I wana make sure the amp is getting enough power and prevent clipping.

EarthWake_Audio
04-27-2004, 02:40 PM
ugrade your battery, and/or purchase a one farad cap...
for best results buy a battery and a cap if it is in your budget

slaya15
04-27-2004, 03:33 PM
ok thanx earthwake

rc2002
04-27-2004, 03:49 PM
1 farad is the correct size, but it won't save your battery. It sounds like you need a new battery.

And good choice on the amp! :thumbsup:

BumpinTalon
04-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Don't ever get caps ... they do nothing. Amps already have capacitors built in and adding an external one does no good. Spend the extra money on 4ga wire, a new battery, and a new alt.

EarthWake_Audio
04-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
Don't ever get caps ... they do nothing. Amps already have capacitors built in and adding an external one does no good. Spend the extra money on 4ga wire, a new battery, and a new alt.

actually...you are incorrect about one thing....a power cap does take alot of the strain off of the alternator...its a power reserve so when your amp needs power...it takes it from the cap instead of your battery...think about it this way...if caps do nothing why does anybody buy one... if they are hooked up incorrectly then they do not perform...but they definately take alot of strain off the charging system...a general rule is for every 1000watts you run a 1 farad cap...:thumbsup:

BumpinTalon
04-27-2004, 09:47 PM
A million and one reasons to not run a cap:
http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42570&highlight=capacitor

Hard to understand but a pretty convincing argument, to support the side that caps (which cost $5-10 to make) are mostly just a marketing ploy.

EarthWake_Audio
04-27-2004, 10:32 PM
cock & balls...
you got me on this one....
but then, tell me why lights stop dimming after you install a cap...
they seem to work alright in that department...they must save your power supply and charging system a little bit! other wise it would be false advertising...

substance_x
04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
I was told that a cap doesn't do much either except for helping with the dimming. www.7thgencivic.com has the arguments.

EarthWake_Audio
04-28-2004, 01:08 PM
so if it helps with the dimming...than it obvioulsy works...thats what a cap does(apparently)...
takes the strain off your cars charging system...
well fuck...i'm confused now:banghead:

D'z Nutz
04-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Yes a capacitor can help with the dimming, but it doesn't take the strain completely off your system because your alternator still has to recharge the power to the capacitor that was taken from the amp. In actuality the capacitor is just another load on your system for the alternator to handle. But in some cases it can be helpful.

Zero102
04-29-2004, 12:12 AM
The cap deals with all the high frequency loads on the charging system, and turns them into a constant(ish) load. Makes it much easier on the alternator to adapt to the load.

I don't know for sure if they extend the life of your alternator or not, but they do eliminate the dimming.
It's the high frequency voltage drops that make your lights dim.

When I say high frequency, I mean 30-40Hz+, not like 20kHz or something like that.

So, technically, the alternator does have to recharge the cap, and, as would be expected, adding a cap does require slightly more power (just another inefficiency added to the system), but it helps even everything out.

Scat
04-29-2004, 04:11 PM
I do not have a cap and I am running 3 10 inch subs with no cap. When I crank up the system, the voltmeter bounces with the bass due to the power being taken. The lights dim slightly, but not that much. When I have my lights on and heat on full with the stereo, I sometimes run less than 12volts. Would a cap help in that case to at least even out the power being taken from the alternator?

porker39
04-30-2004, 09:18 AM
earth quake u were not wrong the main function of a capacitor is to make biuld up a charge on the negitive plate of the capacitor. then this charge is discharged through another circiut. or in other words when the bass his its takes the extra stored charge from the capacitor and puts it into the subs thus making it so the battery doesnt get used alot. instead of the the charge coming from the battery making it so it runs out faster and that causes ur lights to dim and other stuff.(which im sure u alrdy new!)

npham
05-03-2004, 04:23 AM
A cap is a bandaid for a weak electrical system. Upgrade your alternators, and do the big 3 upgrade too you cheap bastards.

SwitchBlade
05-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Try a gel call battery you can run them all the way down and recharge them up faster. It is also beneficial as they are more resisitant to vibrations. Just a thought i think i am gonoing to try that before i invest in a cap.

npham
05-04-2004, 04:21 AM
deep cycle batteries are great.

porker39
05-04-2004, 01:52 PM
not alwys true u may have a great battery and alternater but instead of buying more batteries depending on how big ur system is its just a way of making it so ur battery lasts longer.

npham
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
are you talking about a cap there poker? a cap puts more strain on a electrical system because the alternator must charge the battery and the cap now.

slaya15
05-04-2004, 05:50 PM
ok the alternator recharges the hole shibang but it does not have to recharge the battery if the cap is on. b/c the cap is running off the battery but the alternator only has to charge the cap b/c it is the only thing being used to hit the subs

npham
05-04-2004, 05:54 PM
NO, you are getting this all wrong. With a cap, the alternator must charge both the cap and the battery, hence the extra strain on your electrical system that a cap does. If you did not charge your battery, your battery will die. The cap can only release a small amount of juice to handle sudden voltage drops. Over a prolonged amount of time, it cant keep up. Just buy a bigger alternator, or get is rewound and upgrade the Big 3 and get a new battery. Can't afford it all, just do the upgrades in the order I listed. The first being priority.

porker39
05-05-2004, 08:37 AM
dude u arnt getting what im saying. the fucking cap is used to take the stress off the battery. instead of the bass hitting off te battery which causes this stress u r taking about it takes the stress of the battery as i alrdy said. :whocares:

npham
05-05-2004, 02:07 PM
wow, I can't believe you are so naive to believe the things that you have said. Do you understand that a cap is only good for sudden voltage drops?

A cap may take the stress off your battery for a short amount of time, ie maybe seconds, not minutes. Now after the cap is drained, it must recharge, and now the alternator is trying to charge the cap and battery. This will take life off your alternator and possibly your battery because it is not seeing enough current to charge it.

If you believe that the cap is where all the current for your "bass" is stored, :thumbsdow

BumpinTalon
05-05-2004, 02:22 PM
porker read that link I posted. He explains why caps are pointless. Amps already have a capacitor BUILT IN, and their built-in capacitors are designed and matched to the amplifier's purpose and power. This is the only capacitor your system needs. Adding another one doesn't do anything. It taxes your battery even more. Read the link, and listen.

porker39
05-05-2004, 04:15 PM
alright whatever im tired of arging. :clap: so lets just say if u want a cap go get one and if u dont thnik u need one dont get one. end of disgusion.:closed:

hondarunner
05-05-2004, 08:36 PM
all a cap rly does is provides an easier feed of power to your battery (only if its wired closer to your amp). Most wireing instructions say to place a cap within 5 feet of your amp. This than allows a faster responce, which than gives a better timed base line.

spike98
05-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Its amazing how many people dont know what the hell they are talking about.

npham is the only one that knows what is up. Sorry guys but the rest of you are wrong. Bumpin is 99% right though. There are special instances where caps will work and are effective. But in that case they must be installed for the right intentions.

go to www.carsound.com and do a search for ESR and you will have more than enough reading for the next week or two.

Chadxton
05-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by EarthWake_Audio
but then, tell me why lights stop dimming after you install a cap...
Or do they?

slaya15
05-10-2004, 09:06 AM
wow:eek: did not expect this to become a massive capacitor brawl.

i have decided to set up my system then if the headlights start to dim i will buy a cap if not then i wont, so :rolleyes: this didnt accomplish much for me.

wow this shit is confusing :dunno: :dunno:

usafskater
05-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Just some insight, take it as you will, I have 2 batteries, 1 Lightning Audio Strom 2700Ah and a Optima Yellow Top in the trunk, All 1/0 ga wire. 2 Monster Cable 1F caps. That powers 2 Alpine MRD-M500 (1100W Peak) Without the caps, 11.6 V, With the caps, Pegged at 14.4 NEVER drops. Hard evidence I'd say, no matter what people think/know they do, they work. I DO think the extra battery for the caps help. Oh yeah Alternator is 220A.

Frequency
07-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Everything ^^^^^^^Above is right. hahaha teaches all you people who think they know what there talking a bout. A cap Does work because it has the ability to provide a larger amount of power a HELL of a lot quicker then a battery. I use them In my Electro/Design course i take at High School. Lets put it this way if you have a wet hand and you touch both terminals of a charged Power Car it has the ability to kill you, now lets see a 12V battery do that..... Theres your proof and faster power can provide quicker larger Hits! and as for that thery that power caps are just another load on the battery ....yeah its true but its a small load and when they gain power it does not suck the juice as fast as a sub does, when it hits. It also recieves power on a more level and constant basis.

Stonewall
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Frequency
Lets put it this way if you have a wet hand and you touch both terminals of a charged Power Car it has the ability to kill you, now lets see a 12V battery do that.....
Got news for ya kiddo the voltage is not what will kill you. 15mA across your heart is enough to stop it. Ask any TV repair man why he always keeps one hand in his pocket. Current will take the path of least resistance and if you have both hands on something the current will go right through the heart. Now as for the cap debate the battery in the trunk and the high output alternator is making the world of difference. The caps may help but do the math on the discharge rate of a 1farad cap at 80+ amps and let me know if you think that time interval is going to make a difference.