PDA

View Full Version : Want to put a power source in trunk.

bratprince12338
04-27-2004, 03:19 PM
i was wondering if a possible ther is any way to hook an extra battery for the amp supply to my speakers? and if so how would i hook up the ground to the positive battery?

turboMiata
04-27-2004, 04:34 PM
You don't "hook up the ground to the positive" unless you want to see fireworks.

If you are looking for a parallel setup, you connect the + to the + and the - to the - . This is the most simple way to go.

If you only want the battery to power the amps, then you'll need an isolator. One option is to go with the Hellroaring isolator setup. It's not hard to do, but it sure makes for a mess of cabling under the hood.

I'm doing a dual battery setup shortly with Optima yellow tops but I'm not going the isolator route. Whichever way you go, make sure you run at least 4 AWG, preferably 0/1 if possible.

bratprince12338
04-28-2004, 03:08 PM
cool ill half to check this out

Zero102
04-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah, if you're using an isolator, you probably won't be charging the battery in the back at over 50 or 60 amps when the car is on, so I would run #2 back there, just to be safe. But, if you're running dual battery, with no isolator, the situation could arise where you would start your car entirely off the battery in the back (strange battery issues I suppose), in which case I would run #0 or 0/1, because it's such a long run.