PDA

View Full Version : Rusty tank

Speedracer73
04-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Anybody know a good cure for a tank with some serious rust inside? The bike was obviosly stored improperly for several years and the inside of the tank is coated heavily. I'm thinking of filling it with some sort of a rust remover and mabe some marbles or nuts or something to knock the scaling loose. I also thought I might try sealing it truck bed liner afterward to seal in any remaining scale. Do these sound like dumb ideas??

turboMiata
04-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Once the rust starts, it's pretty hard to stop. You can try using Naval Jelly to remove the rust, but you'll have to clean it out good and recoat the inside of the tank.

If you want to seal in the rust, you can try Por-15.

These products are all meant to fight rust on steel body parts. I'm uncertain if they will work for gas tanks in case they react with the gas and fubar your motor. You should check with the manufacturer.

Ducati
04-28-2004, 05:14 PM
A shop can clean out much of the rust by putting an aggregate material like walnut shells (I'm not kidding this time) and shaking the shit out of it. Walnut shells can also be used with sandblasting equipment to get much of the rust out.

When you get the tank back from the media blasters, buy a product called CREEM, which consists of an etching acid, and a plastic polymer to pour into the tank and shake, so that it lines the tank with a gas-impenetrable lining.

Remove the fuelcocks first.
Get the media blastinf done before you use the Creem, or the Creem may flake off and clog up the fuel lines.

I did this to my moderately rusty 250 Ducati tank in 2000, and it is holding up exceptionally well.

Speedracer73
04-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Where can I source Creem, if not the actual chain of stores, at least what type of store would carry it, hardware, auto supply, comercial paint supplier, who? I work in an industrial park so I should be able to track it down.

p-j
09-06-2004, 09:12 AM
i've got the same rusty tank problem....did you find a cure?

iceburns288
09-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Holy smokes its from ducati's time...:eek: