PDA

View Full Version : Question for the computer gurus

3G
04-27-2004, 08:19 PM
So i bought this laptop today, it all seems to work good except the sound card isnt installed and when i plug my shaw modem into it the ethernet card lights light up but it says "no conection found". How do I fix this? I dont know what card it uses (brand). Is there any way I can fix this? How do I format without a floppy? btw its running XP

thanks

roopi
04-27-2004, 09:11 PM
To format without a floppy just change the first boot device to CD-ROM (in the BIOS) throw in the XP CD and restart.

Davetronz
04-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Well, ... Lets answer these in order.
1) The sound card in the laptop is directly on the motherboard. Chances are Windows XP should be seeing it and load the default drivers for it. However you might have to use the system disk which came with the laptop and load the sound drivers and software. Either that or you will have to find the appropriate driver on the Internet for this laptop and load it.
2) Chances are the laptop uses a sound card and a NIC card which are using the same set of drivers. The first solution should also fix this problem.
3) Place your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD drive. When booting enter the BIOS settings and change the boot sequence to boot off the CDROM drive first. Re-boot the computer and the system will boot off the Windows XP disk and allow you to format and re-install the OS.

3G
04-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by roopi
To format without a floppy just change the first boot device to CD-ROM (in the BIOS) throw in the XP CD and restart.

How do I do that? Which button do I push while it's loading up?

3G
04-27-2004, 10:44 PM
anyone?

Weapon_R
04-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

You have to enter your bios on startup. When you load it, does it say "Hit Del to enter"?

Once you enter the bios, you can set the loading sequence of the computer. You can set it so that it checks the Floppy, CD, or Hard Drive in any order you want it to be. So for what you want to do, you'd set CD as the first, and the others as 2 and 3.

Weapon_R
04-27-2004, 11:16 PM

You have to enter your bios on startup. When you load it, does it say "Hit Del to enter"?

Once you enter the bios, you can set the loading sequence of the computer. You can set it so that it checks the Floppy, CD, or Hard Drive in any order you want it to be. So for what you want to do, you'd set CD as the first, and the others as 2 and 3.

Xtrema
04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
So i bought this laptop today, it all seems to work good except the sound card isnt installed and when i plug my shaw modem into it the ethernet card lights light up but it says "no conection found". How do I fix this? I dont know what card it uses (brand). Is there any way I can fix this? How do I format without a floppy? btw its running XP

thanks

What brand of laptop? Go to the vendor's website and get driver updates. The bios entry key could be Del, F1, F2 or F12 depending on vendor.

But I guess you have to fix the NIC first, make sure the hardware driver is ok in device manager is recognizing it. Is this an onboard NIC? It may not may neogiating properly with the modem. Set the media type under properties from auto to 10Mbps. This is force it to a determined speed.