PDA

View Full Version : Bought girlfriend an 86' Accord. Who knows these cars?

Ducati
04-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Who has owned a 1986 Honda Accord LX before? What was (or is) your experiences?

Hash_man
04-27-2004, 10:00 PM
I own an 89 Accord, however mine is an Se-i. and it fuel injected. It is a pretty good little car, but i wish it was a 5spd. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have about it, and be sure to check out 3geez.com for anything about the 3rd gen accords.

xkon
04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
I had an 84... LOVED that car, it was indestructable!!! no one would get too close for fear or body panels falling off!! I used to plow it into snowbanks, and it wasnt until it was rammed at high speed by an excursion that it went to the wreckers :(

3G
04-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I think you paid a bit too much man. My dad had an 86 with like 194*** km, it had a bit of surface rust nothing deep for $1400. My friend has an 89 Ex-i he's had it for almost 2 years with NO problems whatsoever. Great car nonetheless

Speedy
04-27-2004, 10:41 PM
I had a 86 Accord EXI...it was a super reliable car. Only problem I ever had was the alternator (which is a bitch to change out) and despite several brake changes the front ones always squeled. It had over 300,000K when I sold it. Would love to have one again for a winter car.

CelicaST-162
04-27-2004, 10:45 PM
I had one...well still have it. It was the biggest POS I had ever owned. Whenever it would get low on gas, and going up a hill it would stall (carb), the auto tranny was gone also, it would change gears, so what you had to do was let your foot off the gas for it to upshift. So in a way it was a semi-manual LOL. For example driving on HWY 1 (dont know why I did)....cruisng at 100 w/cruise control it had slipped back into 1st gear! Rpms shot all the way to 8500 and till this day I dont know how or why the engine did not blow. One day when I have time to pull it out of the yard, I am going to take it to waiporous and beat the hell out of it, or give it to someone that needs some parts :thumbsup:

topher91
04-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Speedy
I had a 86 Accord EXI...it was a super reliable car. Only problem I ever had was the alternator (which is a bitch to change out) and despite several brake changes the front ones always squeled. It had over 300,000K when I sold it. Would love to have one again for a winter car.

Ditto......awesome car!!! Only major problem was the damned skin deseased paint!!! It was flaking off like dry skin (ewe! :barf: ) I drove it hard in hi-skool so it didn't last us much longer then it could have.......oh those hi-skool memmories I have in that car!!! We sold it with 350k km + for 1g after my dad replaced the timing belt. :thumbsup:

We also had the EX-i so power everything and sunroof. Good luck with the new car!!

Chris

Ducati
04-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys. I am aware that cars cost far less in Alberta. We get raped here in BC.

I just wanted to get her a good beater, and being that this one looks like the original owner maintained it by the book, and the car was very clean. The small rust perforations look localized, and not indicative of a larger problem, and I have 28 years of experience as an amateur bodyworker, and have produced some good results. I think I will be able to fix this up good and she will like it and stop whining.

If anybody has some real familiarity with that car and knows other weaknesses or areas of note to check out ar maintain, I welcome their input.

Hash_man
04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Rpms shot all the way to 8500 and till this day I dont know how or why the engine did not blow

haha... thats hilarious... these engines seem to be pretty bulletproof. There is a guy on 3geez.com who was running 14 lbs of boost on stock internals for a good 6 months and somehow the engine didnt blow up. :dunno: :burnout:

barmanjay
04-27-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm glad you got a honda, very good cars,... hmmm 86 eh?

I had an 86 honda once,.. 5 speed, excellent car, loved it, If it's a 5 speed,.... check the service records, see if the tranny had been worked on,..... mine had a prob with the throw bearings.

Too bad it got killed by a bronco, but not before she flipped it across an intersection, and she still wanted to go (engine was still running),...... r.i.p.

Excellent car tho, Was soooo long ago, I can't remember what the tell-tale signs were of the bearings going.

CelicaST-162
04-27-2004, 11:09 PM
14 lbs! Wow. Well in my case the time I had it, it did not burn oil. For two months I did not have to add engine oil to it, surprising huh? But one day driving....POOF! since then a huge cloud of blue smoke follows me!

CelicaST-162
04-27-2004, 11:16 PM
The only thing I liked about it....Keyword ONLY cannot stress that enough lol. Was the backseats, cot dyam were they spacious! They are partially reclined if you think of it that way..good leg room.

Hash_man
04-27-2004, 11:50 PM
I like my accord, and it has 231,xxx KMs and still runs strong. And I have never had to add a drop of oil between oil changes.

CKY
04-28-2004, 01:03 AM
they seem great, my friend's brother drive one of these. decent machines, only problem i can really see is the rust and corrosion around the rear wheel body panels

abc1
04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
I use to own an 89 ex. At times there were problems with the choke. There would be times when starting it up is a pain in the rear. It would idle funny, stuff like that. But go to the link posted by Hash_man, since it lists most of the problems you will find.

EnRich
04-28-2004, 01:15 PM
I had a 91 Honda Accord LX; that car had over 250XXX KM and the engine was seriously like brand new when I got into an accident... That one car alone sold me on Honda product... Since then I've purchased a 2001 Prelude SE, and a 2002 Accord EX-L, all because of that one cars reliability...

Rich

sputnik
04-28-2004, 01:20 PM
My parents owned an 88 Accord EX and it had 420,000 km on it before it got smoked by a drunk driver. Luckily no one was hurt.

Ducati
04-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Great link, Hash Man.

It is a bit older than she wanted but anytime you buy a used car (that isn't some kind of collectable or project) you are buying the utility of the remaining use left in it. This old Honda seems to have only been half used up for 2K. It has probably got another 175000 k left in er'.
This weekend I replace every fluid in it. It is an automatic, so I wonder if there are any specific things I should know about Honda A/T's?

Tell me Hash-Man - do you prefer "Blonde Lebanese" or "Black"? :D

yes, I miss the ole' Hot Knives...Many a burnt lip from those fuckers.

O_J
04-28-2004, 05:19 PM
86-87 transmissions suck shit...they alway have problems, and 88-89 are a tad better with some imporvements, theres an extra tranny mount...umm just change the oil more often and buy a transmission conditioner etc cause that stuff works, if it starts to slip a little get a Trans Medic from GUNK, i used it and it doesn't slip anymore...not now atleast.

i'd say thats the only weak point about these accords besides the rust and i've owned 2 of these, just great cars.