PDA

View Full Version : overheating

Master D. Bater
04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Is this my head gasket overheating? When I'm driving in traffic, my temp gauge is fine but when I come to a stop, it starts to climb towards hot! The car is a K car so if any of you have any input that would be nice.:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
04-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Search overheating on here. Otherwise check that you have coolant in the system, your thermostat is working properly or that your cooling fans (if you have any) are working properly

Velox
04-28-2004, 01:01 PM
check and see if your rad is leaking and if the reserve has anything left in there... this happened to me in my old accord and it turned out there was a small 1/2 CM crack on top of my rad and it would only leak when it was hot ... eventually all the antifreez would be gone thus causing it to overheat when you are at a stand still ...

HTN SWCHS
04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
id say egr, but that causes overheating all the time, not just at highway speeds

DBFORDTECH
04-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi

If the vehicle is ok when moving, but overheats when stopped,
check the coolant level first, but then the fans(s)

If you have Air conditioning, start the engine and turn the a/c on max. open the hood and wait, the fan(s) should begine to run in under 30 seconds. It should good and fast as well.

if you do not have a/c, just check that the fan(s) are running when the engine is getting quite hot.

if the fan is running, check that the rad is not blocked with cardborad, mud, dirt, ect... if you have a/c, you must look between the condernsor and the rad.

oh yeah,

I have never seen an egr valve cause overheating, it can cause
poor idle, stalling, hesitation, and lots of drivability symptoms.
The EGR valve does reduce combustion temprature to reduce
pollution, but a missing egr valve is nothing the cooling system cant easily handle. Plus, the EGR valve is supposed to be closed
at idle, so its not even supposed to reduce combustion temp at idle.

apollo guy
04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
couldn't have said it any better myself ..... those are the preliminary checks you need to do and egr info is correct .