PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio

TrickBoi
04-28-2004, 02:40 PM
I've been looking around for that nice system and still no luck. the best I got was a Clarion 500W RMS AMP, 2 -12" Type "R" subs and 400W amps for type "s" speakers all for over 2K. I think that's a little too much, what do you guys think. Is that system worth the $$$$?

Any Ideas, comments and suggestions would be really good...
Thanks

BumpinTalon
04-28-2004, 04:40 PM
The Alpine stuff is worth it. I would recommend you look into buying last year's stuff from Phoenix Gold, which will have Tantrum and Titanium stuff going at doorcrashers, or Rockford Fosgate's stuff. Fosgate has a really extensive line, so you could get deck/speakers/subs/amp for probably around $2,000 for a decent system, $900 for a crappy one, or $3,000 for a really loud one.
I would look into HE2s with a 501bd, an Alpine deck from last year (you would probably like the 7995. it has no built in amp but tons and tons of other features to make up for it, and you can get it for like $400. since you want external amps, it is a perfect match for you), and Type-S speakers since they are amazing. If you want components up front, look into Octane-Rs (only $198 and they sound amazing) and out back try some Type-S coaxials. Rockford has so many amps in so many different configurations I guarantee you could find one to fit your budget.

Try looking at Soundsaround, since it sounds like you were at A&B judging by the brands. They usually will work you a good deal and they will be having lots of stuff on clearance because the new model lines are all coming out right about now.

One last thing. You can either buy my Phoenix Gold Titanium 12s (better then Type Rs ;) ) in a box for $400, or you can get the subs at cost ($350 ea. i think) since Soundsaround is dropping that line, and they will be far superior to any of the fosgate or alpine stuff.

Big_C_racing
04-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Man.....that' is way to much to spend on that set up IMO. Some decent equipment but a little pricy. Personally I do not buy any stereo equipment new except for speakers. The prices that you pay at retail are stupidly overpriced. If you want to get good stuff for a reasonably price, buy used equipment. Although stuff can be damaged or abused, the price drop from retail is well worth the risk. I currently have a $1500 system in my car that I only had to pay about $500 for because I bought it used. Everything is mint and none of it is stolen. Just my 2 cents........

npham
05-04-2004, 04:27 AM
Wow, bumpintalon the advice you give ppl, IMO, is some of the worst on this board. With 2K, I bet I could throw together a crazy system, that 4k worth of crap bought in store, in calgary could put together. hell I bet with 1K, I could do up a nice setup that would own PG Ti's, Type R's, etc.

If you want some help and willing to buy off the internet, pm me. PS, don't buy that crap you listed above.

Oh yea, mainstream sux, do the rich and famous buy Hondas and Fords? Probably not, they buy Porsches', Lambos, etc. Think about it.

BumpinTalon
05-04-2004, 10:35 AM
A lot of people don't want to dick around with the internet. I would rather support local stores and get a good warranty then save a few bucks up front and then get left high and dry down the road.
How could you get deck, speakers, subs and amps for less then $1,000? Buying used? I doubt it. Let's consider subs that beat Titaniums and you end up with W6v2, elemental O and A, Resonant HC, SX and XXX, and so on. All of those subs cost more. To push them to their fullest potential you need a good amp. Even a Tsunami or Avionixx, which are really cheap, will eat up $400-$500 of your budget right away. One sub, another $400. You are out of money already. Factor in a deck, four speakers and another amp and you are going to just barely tuck under $2,000, and you will only have one sub, so then you end up with a system that isn't as loud for the same amount of money. But then I guess you could say you passed up a good deal on mainstream equipment to get some rarer stuff instead.

Let's hear your advice.

npham
05-04-2004, 03:03 PM
In the above post there was nothing about a HU, so

subs - pair of the new eD 12kv2's for ~$300 CAN (preorder price, starts soon)

amp - Soundstream EGA2440, does 440 x 2 RMS at 2 ohms ~170 US, so lets say $225 CAN

comps - CDT CL-62 $330 CAN shipped

rear fill - CDT Cl-6 (midbass driver, not full range) $100 shipped CAN

That's a total under 1K, plus a little shipping for the amp, and you have a system that will own any 2-3K system bought locally. Plus the wow factor of owning something besides alpine, PG, etc.

PS. without the right install, anything can sound ghey.

BumpinTalon
05-04-2004, 09:27 PM
What if something blows? You can't even get those subs yet. 60-90 days is a long time to wait. You forgot on amp. He was going to get one for his subs & his speakers. You forgot a box. You forgot an install. You forgot wires.
And then warranty. Soundstreams, if you buy them from a legit dealer, are a lot more then $225. He is going to get shafted on warranty there. You also forgot duties on the amp, which makes it closer to $280.

npham
05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Those subs are shipping real soon, they are just finishing the website and then they will be ready to ship. Can't ppl do their own installs? Jesus, materials for a box outta 3/4" MDF is like 50 bucks, wiring is like 50 bucks for a 4 gauge wiring kit. Where in his post was anything about an amp to run the comps? Get your facts straight and then come back and make some comments.

Check these amps out, they are clearing them out for their new line.

http://www.millionbuy.com/souega2440.html :eek:

omega613
05-05-2004, 08:36 AM
I JUST GOT MY CAR AND I WAS THINKIN OF GETTING A SOUNDS SYSTEM AND I THOUGHT OF THIS... JUST GET THE SPEAKERS AND THE SUB WOOFER AND THEN INSTEAD OF BUYING A CD/TAPE/RADIO OR WHAT EVER I WASNT GONNA CHANGE THE RADIO AND JUST USE MY IPOD WITH THE FM TRANSMITER TO PAY IT THROUGH MY RADIO. THAT WAY I HAVE THE BEST SELECTION OF MUSIC.

rc2002
05-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Yo TrickBoi, check PM. I want to track my car this season so I'm pulling my system out. Some components are quite similar to what you were looking at (500Wrms amp, 300Wrms subs etc. etc.)

It's not going to crap out on you because it's only 1.5 years old and I bought the 3 year extended warranty on it (I have all receipts).

halbey
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow, I can't belive how much u all spend on a system. wait... is that in canadian or US dollars? cause that does make a little bit of a difference of how much i see on the screen :D Well, here's a little advice, go to your local dealers of car audio. I mean all of them! and talk, talk, talk! talk the salesperson's ears off till they drop. start getting to know them. just let em know you're interested but don't let em think you're going to buy "RIGHT NOW" cause then they'll just sucker u into something crappy. Believe me, they try all the time. What i did was go around and get to know some people, maybe buy something else that i needed while i was there, and then you become thier friend, and they'll hook up with deals you won't even believe. Everything i've bought has always been drastically discounted (Down to invoice price of what they get it for) or else they throw in a bunch of other crap for free. anyway... just tellin' you what i do to get my car audio. have over $3k's worth in my car but only spent $800 (US Dollars).:tongue:

BumpinTalon
05-05-2004, 12:00 PM
That's what I did. I got my Xmax 12s for way below cost way back in the day, new, with warranty, from a local store. Get to know one of the salesmen, make friends with him, and you can get yourself some sweet deals. Don't go in saying you are going to buy a system. Just look.

npham. I don't think they are an authorized dealer. You will not get a warranty from them. And kaosmoon said himself, in the original Kv2 specs thread, the subs will be shipping 60-90 days from now. 2-3 months. July or August. And I think "and 400W amps for type "s" speakers" means he is getting an amp for his speakers.

A lot of people can't do their own installs and a lot of shops and warranties will not cover self-installed products. Although it's hard for them to find out, there's a pretty good chance you might talk to a salesman that doesn't like you and won't cut you some slack.

npham
05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
yea his post isn't very clear, but they subs are shipping out july 1st. preorder is now, so you guys better get on it.

with warranties, you probably get about a year, but it's shipping back and forth between the states that is going to kill you. buying from the net is a better opportunity to see some great products for hundreds less.

and small 4 channels are a dime a dozen. 150 CAN for a decent one, ie Tsunami 4440

BumpinTalon
05-05-2004, 02:18 PM
July 1st? I thought it was later then that. :D I am getting a 15Kv2 so I should prolly get one soon :) Those custom subs need way too big a box for my car.