PDA

View Full Version : How do you use a computer power supply for car audio???

Big_C_racing
04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
I am wondering how to use a computer power supply at home to run my car audio stuff. I have searched the forums and haven't been able to find anything on how to actually do it. First off....I have a relativly new computer and it has power connectors with 4 female connector inputs. Can this supply be used at all?? Can it be used with the cpmuter hardware still hooked up??? and finally how do i do it??? I also have an old computer sitting around somewhere that I could use if this is not an option.

Big_C_racing
04-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Also....what would i use for a ground wire???

bol
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't do it - you'll fry the power supply. Most computer powersupplies can only supply about 5amps for the 12v circuit. It's enough to run a headunit but that's about it and amps are out of the question completely.

Big_C_racing
04-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Crap.......well guess that's the end of that. Thanks for the help

bol
04-28-2004, 05:34 PM
You can get decent 12vdc power supplies at electronics shops but depending on what you're trying to power you'd need to get one with high amps - and those get expensive. Plus you'd need a high amp AC circuit too(most need 35amp 120VAC) and those aren't cheap to run either.

Gonthro
04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
i just use a power adapter from a coleman cooler, works great

Zero102
04-29-2004, 12:17 AM
35amp 120VAC, what is a very high amperage power supply indeed, would probably put out 250-300amps @ 12V, depending on the effeciency.

I use a computer power supply to run an amp and 12" rockford sub in my closet, I can get about 100 watts to the sub before the power supply overloads and shuts off. Which is more than enough for my little computer room (a.k.a my walk-in closet).

If you're just powering up decks and stuff, use an old AT style computer power supply, yellow and black wires.