PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an economics major?

dugrant153
04-29-2004, 01:49 AM
Dunno if I'm really business minded.

Was thinking of working for Transport Canada, or some sort of car manufacturer or something.

Just wanna know what's out there, that's all :) I'm kinda lost in terms of career.

accordboi_02
04-29-2004, 02:04 AM
You can do anything that someone with a MGMT degree can do, and you can probably do it better. :devil:

Seriously though, any job looking for a BComm that isn't Finance or Accounting related you can apply for.

I have a BA Honors and have had people with BComm's working for me!! :D

SwitchBlade
04-29-2004, 06:56 AM
If you want to get into the buisness/management aspect of the transport industry i would suggest Buisness Administration Automotive Marketing at SAIT. I am taking it this September and i know that redline_mr2 has taken it as well as some of our other mmebers. If your interested in the course drop by the SAIT campus or schedule a meeting with the counselers or the head of the program, i found that help.

Weapon_R
04-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Bcomm=BA Econ...

Pacman
04-29-2004, 09:46 AM
For the most part, companies want to see if you have a degree, regardless of the major.

For example, I sell pharmaceuticals and have a finance degree, and some of my collegues have science degrees. WHen pharma sales jobs are posted, they usually require either Science or Commerce, however, there are more people with Art, History, English, 6th Century English Poetry degrees doing these jobs than people with science degrees..

I know quite a few fresh students that have beat out candidates holding Bcomm degree for management jobs, and they had Arts degrees.

A degree shows that you have the capacity to learn.

04-29-2004, 03:52 PM
You could get into trading Futures and or Options in a Small Marketing company or get an entry level position in a large company's Marketing department. That's if you are smart and want to make millions of $$$. I would suggest trying to get in with the banks as they give you the most freedom to rip of everyone else out there but if you do I suggest not doing it in Calgary because I'll find out about you and spread the news and you won't get a good trading job in this town again.

;)

You could get a job entering trades in to an Analytics system like the one I support for the Traders of a company...eventually working your way up to a trading position and then on to management.

Think big!!!

maximus
05-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Big money economics = Econometrics!!

Another way to make big $$$$ in Econ is energy trading. U of C has an energy stream that you can take.

dugrant153
05-06-2004, 12:59 AM
As much as I'd love to make big money, I'm more into something that'll make me happy (yet be able to pay car monthly payments, and later, pay for a house mortgage... way down the line).

Not really sure if I'm into banking yet. I was thinking of maybe applying my economics and working for Nissan's head office or something. ... or... ICBC?

dugrant153
05-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Okay, so I looked at cars and guess-stimated how much I really need in order to survive for the next 3-5 years.

Considering that I may consider a 26k car (plus insurance, plus gas) and I'm planning on living at home, I was looking at a $15.00/hour job atleast. Planning to either move up after that OR try to find one that pays more than $15/hour.

As I said, I'm an economics major. I'm doing retail right now, but I know if I want my dreams to come true (WRX *droooool*) I'll have to:
a) Finish school so that it stops being my money pit.
b) Eat out less, so it stops being my money pit.
c) Find that $15/hour job.

I haven't really done a lot of job searching, and most jobs that I've looked at that pay $15 and hour or more are jobs I'm not really into.

Suggestions?

VTEC_Junkie
06-11-2004, 01:24 PM
what exactly is econometrics??

Wildcat
06-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by VTEC_Junkie

a one way ticket right to the front of the unemployment line.

:D jj

Weapon_R
06-11-2004, 03:49 PM

The most profitable area in economics, and by and far, the most difficult area to learn.

Gainsbarre
06-11-2004, 09:49 PM

In short, it's the analysis of economic data using various statistical techniques. As if statistics wasn't dreadful enough on its own -- throw economics into the mix and you've got ECONOMETRICS. Econometrics is pure HELL...ECON 315 (the intro to econometrics course offered at the U of C that all econ majors must take) is by far the worst econ course I've had to endure.

Skyline_Addict
06-12-2004, 12:32 AM
try out something in real estate.

dugrant153
06-26-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm not into commission sales much. I've done a bit of it and I don't like having deadlines and an inconsistent wage.

What I'm looking for in a career/job is something that's flexible enough that I can autocross (wheee!), play roller hockey and spend time with friends and family... but also pays enough that I can afford to buy a car and pay a house.

I'm more of an artsy person. I find econometrics and accounting something I don't like very much. Social economics, marketing and that sort of thing I do enjoy, though :)

So yeah... but I guess I just gotta take a look and see what will be available. I know most economic degrees lead to banking jobs, but I guess I just can't see myself in a bank and being happy. Hmm...

Fuji
06-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
You can do anything that someone with a MGMT degree can do, and you can probably do it better. :devil:

Seriously though, any job looking for a BComm that isn't Finance or Accounting related you can apply for.

I have a BA Honors and have had people with BComm's working for me!! :D

You are on crack econ majors don't come close to the capabilities and quality of the top business school students. Anyone who thinks that BA Econ=BComm is misinformed. Now there are always a few anomalies to that statement, but generally that is not the case.

You must be one of those guys who never got into the business school like 4 times consecutively and are now bitter!:devil

back on topic. I suggest you get a masters in Econ or PHD in it to be an analyst... they make good money:)