PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Mercury Sable Fuel Injectors

Heather10
04-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I have a 1992 Mercury Sable LS. I think I need my fuel injectors replaced because my car has been doing this god awful chugging thing. It's become very hard to accelerate, because it just won't get going. Also now when I'm stopped at a stop sign/light the car shakes. Any advice or how much this might all cost?? Thanks in advance!!! :eek:

QuasarCav
04-30-2004, 10:15 AM
in CDN$ probably a couple hundred for the injectors. assuming your have the 3.0 V6?

I'm not sure on the labor, you could probably get the injectors from the wreckers. It was a common engine!

DBFORDTECH
04-30-2004, 07:34 PM
before you replace your injectors, check the simple stuff.
Air filter clean? restricted??
exhaust plugged? old cars have catalytic convertor problems.
EGR Valve stuck open??
Fuel pressure ok?
Fuel filter plugged?
ignition system ok? bad (leaking) wires??
bad plugs?

Make sure its firing on all six. shut off the engine, loosen each plug wire at the distributor, but leave them connected.
start the engine
using well insulated plyers (or prefer plastic plug wire tool) and
wearing a thick leather glove, remove one wire at a time, the engine should slow down, or stumble. replace the wire and move to the next. pay attention to any wire that does not affect idle, this is a problem cylinder.

BE CAREFUL, YOU CAn GET ONE HELL OF A SHOCK!!!

Good clean fuel?
leaking injectors will usually cause hard starts and poor idle, like flooding, but usually the engine runs ok under heavy acceleration.

You need to make sure other things are ok before replacing the injectors

apollo guy
04-30-2004, 11:52 PM
again .... bingo on the diagnosis from DB ,he just gave you the breakdown of the KISS rule (keep it simple ,stupid ) a rule all techs need to apply first when looking for a problem ,before you start looking too deep .let us know what you find out .