PDA

View Full Version : CHANGE CANADA's ELECTORAL SYSTEM

Gweedo
04-30-2004, 02:03 PM
I know that some of us are left wing and MOST of us on here are right wing, but heres something we can all agree on.

Canada's electoral system is garbage!
Canada is one of the few remaining major democracies still using the first-past-the-post voting system. This system was long ago scrapped by most major democracies. Why? Because it always fails to provide representation for all voters and it usually fails to provide legitimate majority rule. In other words, the system does not address the most basic principles of representative democracy. Its time to make a change.

Please click here and take a second to sign the petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/StriveForChange

Copy and Paste it into your Browser if it dont work, or click the link in the reply below, that guy seemed to make it work

Thanks

Gonthro
04-30-2004, 02:08 PM
yea, everybody click the link and sign the petition right below where it says this page cannot be displayed

Ben
04-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
yea, everybody click the link and sign the petition right below where it says this page cannot be displayed

rofl

sorry, but that was funny.:thumbsup:

lam-boy
04-30-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/StriveForChange/

Gweedo
04-30-2004, 02:44 PM
www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/StriveForChange/

It should work
Just copy and paste it into your browser I guess....sorry bout that

peace

Gonthro
04-30-2004, 02:50 PM
before you put the description where the url is supposed to be and vice versa

it works now

Weapon_R
04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Proportional Representation is garbage.

Shaolin
04-30-2004, 03:55 PM
proportional representation? so we can be like the swedes? Let me get this straight.. people don't agree with each other now.. but proportional representation will work? in what way? we'll just have 10 parties, somehow get 1/2 of them to agree on something when they all have different views on politics, and then we'll make laws after years of tug of war..

hmm.. sounds great to me..

it's better to have the candidates go on American Idol and sing their proposals to the audience, hell.. 28 million voted for that..

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Prop. Rep does has it's good points, but it won't work in Canada.

Weapon_R
04-30-2004, 05:20 PM
The reason that it doesn't work well is because there rarely majority in parliament, so you have a system full of coalition governments.

This may sound good, but the end result is instability and infighting within the governing party. A smaller party (read: less popular) possesses the same amount of political power as the larger party, since if the needs of the smallest member of a coalition government aren't met, we may have a breakup and the resulting problems.

rice_eater
05-01-2004, 06:42 PM
The only thing that SHOULD be changed is to set periodic elections! Fuck this whenever the PM believes it's best for him to pick a new election date. Imagine if the sponsorship scandal happened a couple months before hte elections. Actually it did, so now they conviniently let it die out before scheduling new ones :thumbsdow ANd dont think i'm one sided on this...the same should happen with provincial ellections.

A_3
05-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Proportional Representation is garbage.

:werd: ... proportional rep doesn't work at all. Look at what it has accomplished in history... minority governments that can't get anything done creating re-election after re-election and coalition governments full of in fighting and back room deals. The system that i think COULD work for Canada is the one used in Australia (forget the name) where their is an election with many candidates and after everyone but the top two vote getters is eliminated their is another election between the two top candidates. But any change in electoral systems would cost the government millions of dollars and would create unrest within the country... therefore no politician for lack of better words has the balls to do it. First past the post works fairly decent and doesn't need imediate change, i agree it needs some revisions because us in the west get consistently screwed but all in all it's a solid system.

Gweedo
05-02-2004, 08:43 PM
good system?
whoever wins in Ontario wins the election!

yeah good system, I cant believe someone from the west where the TOTAL population is bigger than Ontario would think otherwise.

it does need to be changed

KELSTAR
05-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by A_3

:werd: ... proportional rep doesn't work at all. Look at what it has accomplished in history... minority governments that can't get anything done creating re-election after re-election and coalition governments full of in fighting and back room deals. The system that i think COULD work for Canada is the one used in Australia (forget the name) where their is an election with many candidates and after everyone but the top two vote getters is eliminated their is another election between the two top candidates. But any change in electoral systems would cost the government millions of dollars and would create unrest within the country... therefore no politician for lack of better words has the balls to do it. First past the post works fairly decent and doesn't need imediate change, i agree it needs some revisions because us in the west get consistently screwed but all in all it's a solid system.

The system used in Australia is AV.. Alternative Vote

BigMass
05-05-2004, 08:40 PM
The provinces need more power and independence from the feds. This way the fairies out east can play their games while we get shit done that serves our own interests. It's already good that Alberta is taking a stand against gay marriage and gun registration, but it needs more power to keep pushing it's own agenda and not that of the communist Liberals out east.

fast95pony
05-11-2004, 04:05 AM
It's time for Alberta to separate !! We should keep our money and oil here , and stop giving to the looser Provinces . Maybe then Alberta will get some respect !

:)

Toma
05-11-2004, 03:46 PM
LOL, maybe we should adopt the electoral college system like in the US ;) :poosie:

BebeAphrodite
05-11-2004, 05:08 PM
There is no way the system would changed to prop. gov't. About 50% of Canada's population is located in the East and there is no way the people in the East would give up their power - which makes sense.

Redlyne_mr2
05-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
It's time for Alberta to separate !! We should keep our money and oil here , and stop giving to the looser Provinces . Maybe then Alberta will get some respect !

:)
:werd: By Ontario doesn't deserve to see one cent from Alberta