PDA

View Full Version : Residential Parking Laws

kaput
04-30-2004, 06:17 PM

davidI
04-30-2004, 06:43 PM
I don't think she can take legal action against you but she can always try a little vigilante justice (ie. key your car etc.)

My grandma had a problem wtih people always parking in front of her house and for her it's tough because she can't walk as far if she can't park right there so the city ended up giving her a handicap zoning right in front.

Gonthro
04-30-2004, 07:37 PM
nope, nothign she can do, she owns to the property line, not the street infront of her house, anyone can park there at any time as long as you are (i think its 2 feet) away from any driveway

kaput
04-30-2004, 10:23 PM

xkon
04-30-2004, 10:48 PM
driveways are different though right? my dumbass neighbor was moving in today and parked the moving truck IN FRONT of my driveway... when i opened up the garage it was blocking the whole way, so I turned onto his front lawn (they have no garage) and got out that way... he took the hint and had moved by the time i got back

Weapon_R
05-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Driveways are different.

The city owns all of the property in front of a house. Not the homeowner.

CowTownBiomed
05-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

The city owns all of the property in front of a house. Not the homeowner.

Actualy I own the property infront of my house all the way down the the property line.

C4S
05-03-2004, 10:59 AM
:dunno: I left my old Honda on the street ... and I got ticket .. and was towed away ! and cost me big buck for to get it back .. :dunno:

And I got ticket one time, park in front of someone's house ... :dunno:

Khyron
05-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by C4S
:dunno: I left my old Honda on the street ... and I got ticket .. and was towed away ! and cost me big buck for to get it back .. :dunno:

And I got ticket one time, park in front of someone's house ... :dunno:

It will get towed if you leave it in the same place for over 36 or 48 hours (I forget the time). If you block someone's driveway, even a bit, you will get a ticket/tow. And then there's the fire hydrants and the handi "I want a reserved spot because I'm lazy" zones. But the street in front of someone's house is definately fair game.

Khyron

C4S
05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
:( I actually parked it on the street ... not really in front of anyone's house .. but .. I left it there for like 2 months without touching it .. :banghead:

5.9 R/T
05-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I have a quick question about parking on a residential street. Not a special street ie. no meters, doesn't require a permit, just a normal street. I was visiting someone who I visit often and I always park my car on the side of the street across from the house, mainly because there are never any cars on that side, while the other side is usually lined up (2 or 3 rental houses with lots of roomies sharing the places on that side).

Anyways, this bitch comes out today and and gives me shit for parking in front of her house, despite the fact that there wasn't at the time nor ever has been a car there. My question is, does she have and recourse against me if I continue to park there? I'm thinking something retarded along the lines of maybe she has some sort of claim to parking rights on the street in front because she lives there? Personally I think this sounds absurd and unlikely, but I thought I'd find out just in case, because I don't need a ticket or my parents car to get towed.

And yes, I realize the simple solution is to just park somewhere else, and I will when that's reasonable, but I'm not going out of my way to avoid a fight with this person.

I had/have the same problem as you except on the other side of the street. One of them decided to leave their car in front of my house for a few days so I phoned the city, and if the vehicle is not registered to a house within one city block of where it is parked after 48 hours it will be tagged and towed. There have also been cases where the owners on my side of the street will box in the renters on the other side if they repeateadly park on our side. After about 2 weeks the renters figure it out and respect the rules.

My advice to you is to park on your buddies side of the street as much as you can. Living next to and accross from young renters suck, and can be very frustrating so give the lady what she wants as much as you can.

kaput
05-03-2004, 05:47 PM