PDA

View Full Version : mixing sub sizes

tnayrb5000
04-30-2004, 07:13 PM
I currently have a solo baric L5 15" in my grand prix.... however i still have two 12" JL W0's from the previous car (if you call a sunfire a car). Anyway, i've searched all over, anyone here know about mixing sub sizes....in this case 1 15" and 2 12". Any input would be appreciated.

EarthWake_Audio
05-01-2004, 04:33 AM
alot of the time there is way too much cancelation, so gains would be minimal...just run another solo 15... or upgrade to a bigger ported box and LOTS of power to your existing sub...
SOLO's need alot of juice...

Zero102
05-02-2004, 12:47 PM
If you keep everything in phase, it's just fine.
So, face them all the same way, and if you have decent amps, you can adjust the phase to get them all in time.

npham
05-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Do you even understand what phase is Zero. God, you are leading ppl to believe the wrong things. Do not mix and match subs, and sub sizes. Have you ever seen a SQ or SPL car/truck/etc? Does anyone run mix sizes? No. Do they mix brands? No. Do they have the exact same TS parameters? No, are they going to sound the same? No. Dont' waste your time.

The only way I see that this is possible without major cancellation, noted already, is the solo in the trunk and the 12's underneath the seats, and even this is going to sound like ass. The solobaric is going to have more overhang than the JLs, and so they are going to be off, the 15" will still be playing the last note, while the 12 is just starting the next.

Just don't do it, period.

BumpinTalon
05-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Different sized subs would be pimp. But said subs would have to be of much higher quality then most Kicker junk.

npham
05-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Pimp what? Pimp ghey? yea, thats what I thought.

BumpinTalon
05-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Ooh burn .. :rofl:
Tell me it wouldn't be sweet to see two 15As in the trunk and two 10As in the doors.

Velox
05-04-2004, 01:05 PM
don't know about a 15 inch and 2 12 inches but i have seen some people go with a pair of 10's and a pair of 12's ... they say it give a wider range of base and also sound a little better then just 2 10's or 12's ... and i haven't seen anyone mix brands of subs before... but hey i could be wrong!:dunno:

EarthWake_Audio
05-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by npham
Do you even understand what phase is Zero. God, you are leading ppl to believe the wrong things. Do not mix and match subs, and sub sizes. Have you ever seen a SQ or SPL car/truck/etc? Does anyone run mix sizes? No. Do they mix brands? No. Do they have the exact same TS parameters? No, are they going to sound the same? No. Dont' waste your time.

The only way I see that this is possible without major cancellation, noted already, is the solo in the trunk and the 12's underneath the seats, and even this is going to sound like ass. The solobaric is going to have more overhang than the JLs, and so they are going to be off, the 15" will still be playing the last note, while the 12 is just starting the next.

Just don't do it, period.

once again...i must say NPHAM knows what the fuck is goin on...you guys should listen to what we know, and not what you think:guns:

npham
05-04-2004, 02:53 PM
preach it Earthquake!:clap:

tnayrb5000
05-04-2004, 09:22 PM
appreciate the advice there npham and EarthWake_Audio. By your 'suttle' replies i've decided not to mix the subs and just add another 15"....giving my first go for a fiberglass box. Chances are i'll be too embarassed to post pics...but we'll see. thanks again

npham
05-04-2004, 10:01 PM
it's not the easiest thing to do, search around on the net, there are tons of tutorials and tips from tens of guys. Patience is the main key.

BumpinTalon
05-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Join glassman's custom forum. Those guys know their stuff and they are very quick to help you out. I am subscribed to them and I get 15-20 messages a day from the forum and most questions are answered within an hour by some very knowledgable guys.
I don't have a link handy, but it is a Yahoo group so you could probably search for "glassman" and find it.
He's also got a huge archive of in-progress pics of fiberglass boxes and kicks, so you have something to refer to as you put together your box.