PDA

View Full Version : Slash to the head/ Junior Hockey

SI-vic
05-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Did anyone see the slash to the head in the Junior Hockey League?
I am SHOCKED at what happened.
It was much much worse than the McSorley/Brashear AND Bertuzzi/Moore incidents.

Basically what had happened was 2 players collided infront of the net, they both fell down.
Player A decided to slash Player B in the head but Player B sorta ducked, so Player A missed.

Player B retaliated (sp?) by slashing Player A in the face.
Player B is mugged by Player A's defence partner.

Player A falls back on his back and has a seizure, he starts shaking like crazy for a solid minute and is out cold after. He was taken out on the stretcher and I'm not sure what happened after that.
It was sick to watch.

But really... who is to blame for this incident?
Player A shouldnt have tried slashing Player B in the face in the first place.... what goes around comes around.
Player B, I mean if someone purposely slashed me in the face with their stick, hell I'm gonna go NUTS and do some damage too. I dont think I'd slash him back in the face but... easier said then done, it was probably spurr the moment sort of thing for Player B.
By no means do I think what Player B did was right, but... I'm sure a lot of us would have done the same thing if someone took a swing at our head.

There has been too many incidents like this in the hockey lately.
It seems in every game, many players still get mugged from behind, slashed in the head... etc etc etc. (especially after the moore/brashear incidents)
Hockey doesnt need this crap.

Dope Dealer
05-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Yeah I just saw that on TV. There was like 3 guys on him after that. I heard he guy didn't get taken off the ice for 15 minutes.

habsfan
05-01-2004, 09:18 AM
i just saw it on the score..........that was the most dispicible thing i think ive ever seen........both guys slashed for faces which makes it worse.....

lam-boy
05-01-2004, 01:11 PM
he cleared the hospital where they were and hes flying back with the team to their hometown or whatever and will be going to the hospital there i've heard.

TalonVelocity
05-01-2004, 01:18 PM
both players should be suspended, the guy who was eventually injured tried to do the exact same thing but didnt hit..

PGTze
05-01-2004, 01:18 PM
I read about that in the paper, sounded just brutal. Anyone got a link to a video of it?

Team_Mclaren
05-01-2004, 07:19 PM
i just saw this mins ago and man, thats crazy!!! he got it right in the face!!!!!:eek:

Kobe
05-01-2004, 07:24 PM
yah saw that on t.v in low motion..wow looked brutal...Cops suppose 2 get involved in it..

GingeRRRBeef
05-01-2004, 07:26 PM
yeah I've seen it ... the first guy's at fault too ... because it would have been player B convulsing on the ground if player A would have connected on the first shot.

I think it's pretty much an emotional reflex after player B knew that player A took a swing at him.

The media is pretty bad tho. Making player B look like the devil. From what I saw, the media never mentioned anything about player A attempting to slash player B in the face even though you can clearly see player A's attempt.

SI-vic
05-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
yeah I've seen it ... the first guy's at fault too ... because it would have been player B convulsing on the ground if player A would have connected on the first shot.

I think it's pretty much an emotional reflex after player B knew that player A took a swing at him.

The media is pretty bad tho. Making player B look like the devil. From what I saw, the media never mentioned anything about player A attempting to slash player B in the face even though you can clearly see player A's attempt.

Thats exactly my thoughts on it too.
But how will the league and the police handle this situation?
Player B should not completly be blamed, but he needs to be punished some how and in some way.

This situation is going to be really tough and hard.... but I'll say 1 thing, if Player A doesnt get the same punishment as Player B, then the league needs new people running it.

A2VR6
05-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Well i dont really think it was pre-meditated. It's obvious Perezhogin reacted to Stafford's previous swing and retaliated with a vicious swing of his own. This reminds me of the Dino Ciccarelli or Tony Granato incident. Both of those players got 10 games for doing that and i think Perezhogin and Stafford should get the same as well.

Wildcat
05-02-2004, 12:33 AM
i saw it today, the kid who did it should never be able to play organized hockey again, period. i hope the other guy makes a full recovery, best wishes for his friends and family. he had to learn from his mistakes the hard way.

GingeRRRBeef
05-02-2004, 12:34 AM
The reaction that I see it if player A gets punishment as well would be a public outcry of injustice.

I see people complaining that player A is the victim of a vicious attack and has no responsibility for player B's action. However, I hope that when the authorities review the replays, if player B gets charged with assault or the likes, player A should also be charged with intent to injure or something similar.

Wildcat
05-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
The reaction that I see it if player A gets punishment as well would be a public outcry of injustice.

I see people complaining that player A is the victim of a vicious attack and has no responsibility for player B's action. However, I hope that when the authorities review the replays, if player B gets charged with assault or the likes, player A should also be charged with intent to injure or something similar.

like i said, he learnt the hard way. he'll think twice the next time he even questions raising his stick above the waist.

GingeRRRBeef
05-02-2004, 01:03 AM
This is what I emailed TheScore.ca

==============================================

In regards to the Perezhogin/Stafford incident;

I've seen the replays and watched your segment on this matter. First, I would like to say that what Perezhogin did was extremely wrong and he should be severely punished and even banned from ever playing professional hockey again. Even though his actions were harsh, they were not premeditated.

However, I feel that Stafford should take some of the responsibilities because it was him who took the initial swing at Perezhogin that cause Perezhogin's retaliation hack. This is clearly shown in the replays. Although, this important point is not mentioned anywhere. Not in any news article nor any tv spots that I've seen.

I realize that such comments to the public might put political correctness into question, however, I feel it's not fair to Perezhogin. The media has made Perezhogin into a thug and made it seemed that Stafford has no fault in the matter. Even though Perezhogin is absolutely guilty, Stafford is not entirely innocent.

It would be great to hear a professional's opinion on this matter. Thank you.

lam-boy
05-02-2004, 03:07 AM
http://user.fundy.net/ranold/Perezhogin.wmv

I think they should both be out. i mean the guy took a swing at the first guy and missed his head, and im just going by what i seen.

i mean if you swung at me and skinned my head with a stick, of course out of reaction im gonna do something back.

ryder_23
05-02-2004, 03:19 AM
^
:werd:

my thoughts exactly...if he never took that initial swing, he wouldnt of swung back, and to think, if first guy woulda connected, he woulda been in other guys shoes vice versa....i think its terrible what he did, but it was more of a human reaction to do what he did... and to be honest, the guy who instigated this even tho his injurie is a punishment, if the guy gets assault, he should get attempted assault...cause if it wasnt for idiot #1, their wouldnt of been an idiot #2....

Please dont flame me for what i just said, i feel terrible for that guy, and we should enver see this in hockey, i just think guy #2, did what honestly, alot of people would do, just a natural reaction..

lam-boy
05-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
^
:werd:

my thoughts exactly...if he never took that initial swing, he wouldnt of swung back, and to think, if first guy woulda connected, he woulda been in other guys shoes vice versa....i think its terrible what he did, but it was more of a human reaction to do what he did... and to be honest, the guy who instigated this even tho his injurie is a punishment, if the guy gets assault, he should get attempted assault...cause if it wasnt for idiot #1, their wouldnt of been an idiot #2....

Please dont flame me for what i just said, i feel terrible for that guy, and we should enver see this in hockey, i just think guy #2, did what honestly, alot of people would do, just a natural reaction..

hey! your avatar is from the calgaryflamesforum ahah. ( i knew it looked familiar)

and yeah i hope the guy gets a speedy and quick recovery but...

this is a double sided sword, both guys have to get into some sort of shit. but i did post a link up there for a video.

SI-vic
05-02-2004, 04:17 AM
Player A learnt a lesson that he shouldnt swing sticks at peoples heads.... because this is what you get when you do.
But if Player B is banned from hockey, I do believe Player A should be as well.

Whats the difference between the actions of Player A and Player B?
Nothing.

The outcome was different. But to make the sport better, leagues need to start looking at punishing players for their actions and not the outcome.
Any intentional swing to the head should be an automatic boot to the curb. I'm disgusted when I see players injured on the ground.
If the player misses the swing to the head, well tough luck. too bad. get the hell out of the hockey leagues.... you will not be missed.