PDA

View Full Version : Careers?

3G
05-01-2004, 10:20 PM
What is the easiest field to get into? Which field do you guys think has alot of openings? Looking to go to SAIT or MRC. and pays decent enough?

I was thinking
- police officer(school constable)
- accountant
- car salesman
- network technician
- business

TrevorK
05-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
What is the easiest field to get into? Which field do you guys think has alot of openings? Looking to go to SAIT or MRC. and pays decent enough?

I was thinking
- police officer(school constable)
- accountant
- car salesman
- network technician
- business

Police Officer - in edmonton they're hiring ~400/year for the next 3-4 years (4 times the normal recruitment).

Of course, you have to pass a shitload of tests (Mental, emotional, etc...).

I would rank them as (For job stability, security, wage, etc...):
1) Police
2) Accountant
3) Business
4) Network Tech
5) Car salesman (NO schooling required)

lint
05-03-2004, 09:46 AM
don't make your decision based on what is easiest to get into now. Think about what you really want to do, and take it from there. You don't want to be stuck in a field that you hate just for a few bucks now. Initially, money will make it easier, but in the long run, you need something that you enjoy to make it worth your while.

But from your list, if you like numbers, go with accounting. There are always positions, especially if you do oil and gas. There are opportunities for higher designations, which can mean big pay raises too. But accounting isn't for everyone.

civic_ek4
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
If you do take accounting, you can be a police officer as well fighting the white collar crimes.

Shaolin
05-03-2004, 12:02 PM
just be well aware of all the tests you have to take in order to be a cop.. my best friend's a cop, but i know others who can't pass the tests so they end up going for RCMP instead..

With an accounting degree you'll find a job no problem, but it depends if you like it or not..

3G
05-03-2004, 12:04 PM
i was thinking of school constable not street cop

TrevorK
05-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
i was thinking of school constable not street cop

I thought there were actually cops - so I assume you'd need the same tests.

Ben
05-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

I thought there were actually cops - so I assume you'd need the same tests.
They are, they are 100% CPS cops, take the sae tests and have the same requirements. It's just another division.

ZorroAMG
05-04-2004, 01:30 PM
You are just starting out, do not worry about liking your first jobs, they will all suck, but the things you learn from them will be valuable. If you can crunch numbers and sit behind a desk all day with a smile on your face, great cause I can't:) think about what kind of person you are and what you do best ... Career changes happen all the time, try stuff, learn new things, DIVERSIFY.

civic_ek4
05-04-2004, 06:23 PM
i don't think you get to choose what division you are going to be in as a rookie. if you really want to be a school constable, you may need to have like psychology, child and youth care qualities.

Are you afraid of the danger?? I can't see a cop fighting white collar crimes be in any danger.

boy1_
05-04-2004, 06:39 PM
school constables start off as normal street officers, at least the one at my school did......downtown east side too(Vancouver)