PDA

View Full Version : need advice for a speeding ticket

Spooned
05-02-2004, 09:47 AM
Wel here is the situation:

Speeding ticket for 30 over between calgary and edmonton.
177$ 3 demerit points.

Why i was speeding:
On my way up i was doing the standard 117km/h on cruise control and cought up to a pack of 3 semi trucks in the slow lane. I was just gonna slow down to 110 since i was only maybe 70 km out of edmonton anyways and just follow them in, but then outta no where a huge fricken pebble flies up and takes a nice chunk out of the windshield ( its a pretty deep chip ) and it scared the shit outta me ( wasnt expecting that ), shortly after that chip my car was being hit with several other pebbles although they didnt cause any damage i wasnt about to wait around for a second or third chip. So i sped up to pass all three semis. As i was passin i was still getting shit thrown at me so i just went up to 135-140 to get by all three as fast as possible. past all three and returned to the slow lane and set my cruise control back to 117km/h.

next thing i know i see a cruiser pull onto the highway in the fast lane in my left mirror about 100-150 m back, lights flashing. he catches up to me, and i thought nothing of it at first, then he gets behind me waiting for me to pull over =(((((

pulls me over and told me he clocked me for 139 km/h, i asked to see the clocking and he had it right in his car. nothing i could say would really turn him off from giving the ticket.

now here is the question. Can i get the demerits dropped from this ticket if i take it to court? I realize i shouldnt have gone that fast, and i was caught fair and square for speeding, but im a full time student paying for tuition and residence, and i need the car to get around, its a necessity, have demerits on my license will up my insurance and basically kick my ass hardcore trying to pay everything off.

if i tell the judge about the semis and the dent that i already need to pay for ontop of the ticket and the insurance, and that im a full time student paying for everything and it will never happen again... and i will pay the 177$ as a consequence but would like the demerits dropped off... you think that will work?

or is it better to send all this info to pointts along with a photo of the big ass chip and send a statement to pointts and pay 320$ ontop of 177$ ( or whatever they can lower it too ) and have them represent me instead of me going in as a 21 year old?

please help!! anyone got any advice?

paying the money straight up is not a problem, but the insurance hike is what will kill me.

Gonthro
05-02-2004, 09:56 AM
just goto the CP and tell him exactly what you just typed there... they nearly always drop the demerits... and since you were speeding for such a short time... and you ghad a reason... maybe try to convince them that the rocks hitting your windshield could have proven hazardous??? (which they could have)

Spooned
05-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Ok so do i just go to the calgary police centre in downtown and just talk to the front desk and let them know what happened? write a statement? bring a photo of the chip?

or do i need to go talk to the "crown" wherever that is and show them the above?

i've never gotten a ticket so i have no idea where to go/who to talk to, advice/info is much appreciated!!

thx for the help everyone.

wait is CP = Calgary Police??
or Crown Prosecutor?

3G
05-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Spooned
wait is CP = Calgary Police??
or Crown Prosecutor?

Crown Prosecutor

Spooned
05-02-2004, 10:09 AM
lol ok that clears some stuff up hehe.. where exactly do i find him/her?? lol?!

you guys think i have a pretty good chance of getting the demerits dropped?

also, if for some reason the CP doesnt drop the points can i still fall back onto pointts to see if they can do any better?

Akagi Redsuns
05-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Can you deal with RCMP tickets with the Calgary CP? Don't yo have to go the courthouse at whichever the jurisdiction it is that the offense occured?

Since it was 70kms out of Edmonton, I doubt that it was the Calgary Police Service that issued the ticket.

Spooned
05-02-2004, 11:04 AM
well shit... you may be right, it says on the ticket if i want to appear in court it has to be in ponoka or wetaskiwin..... wtf i asked the officer if i can deal with the ticket in calgary...

and he told me definetly yes.... omg seriously wtf.

Ben
05-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
Can you deal with RCMP tickets with the Calgary CP? Don't yo have to go the courthouse at whichever the jurisdiction it is that the offense occured?

Since it was 70kms out of Edmonton, I doubt that it was the Calgary Police Service that issued the ticket.

:rolleyes:

you will have to go to the court listed on the ticket. Of course this isn't a Calgary Police issue. Where does it say on the ticket? Oh, and FYI, those little towns between Red Deer and Edmonton will rape you dry. They have nothing better to do. Ponoka is the worst place in Alberta to get pulled over.

Akagi Redsuns
05-02-2004, 11:10 AM
No need to roll your eyes. I wasn't the guy that got the ticket. I know I was stating the obivious, but it was in response when he posted this, just wanted it to be clear...........

Originally posted by Spooned
Ok so do i just go to the calgary police centre in downtown and just talk to the front desk and let them know what .................snip

rage2
05-02-2004, 12:19 PM
hehe ponoka ticket. Sorry to say but good luck with that... you'll need it.

abyss
05-02-2004, 12:32 PM
It's always worth it to fight your tickets. I just got one for speeding in Calgary, 132km 4 demerits! I went to fight it, and it turns out that the cop who gave it to me either got fired or quit the force so mine got thrown out before I even went to court. :thumbsup: You really have nothing to lose by fighting it. Also it's pretty easy, that was my first ticket ever too. Don't be nervous.:D

Khyron
05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
The debris from truck excuse doesn't fly (tried it) - you should have slowed down even further to maintain a safer following distance (yah right, but that's how it is).

Khyron

M_Power
05-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
The debris from truck excuse doesn't fly (tried it) - you should have slowed down even further to maintain a safer following distance (yah right, but that's how it is).

Khyron

Same thing with me. Cops just expect you to sit behind rigs going 30 km/h until theres a proper oppurtunity to pass, like a 2 lane stretch.
:thumbsdow

Maxt
05-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Man, and to think I followed an RCMP minivan into Edmonton last week, I paced him for the last 60 km's are so, at the leisurely pace of 145 km/hr... I figured well hey if there is no speed limit for him, I guess it doesn't apply to me either... He looked at me in the mirror a couple of times, but whats he gonna do, pull me over and lecture me about the dangers of speed, especially when he's doing it in a minivan, and I am driving a rx-7...not a chance..:burnout: ...Maxt

Spooned
05-02-2004, 05:32 PM
so will pointts not represent me if its not a calgary ticket? i know they have an office in edmonton as well right? i was probably 5-8 car lengths behind when the first pebble hit me ( thats the one that took a nice chunk outta the windshield ) i thought that was a pretty good distance.. ah well.. i guess the consensus is im screwed.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

ticket says at or near wetaskiwin.

the 2 courts =
prov court, 4605, - 51 street, Wetaskiwin, Alberta
prov court, 5110 - 49 Avenue, Ponoka, Alberta.

there is an X beside the wetaskiwin one, i guess thats the only one i can go to then? i'll call pointts tomorrow and see if they will represent me there or not. ... Fuck... this sucks.