PDA

View Full Version : DIRTIEST KITCHEN in calgary...

happygirl
05-02-2004, 03:23 PM
TAJ MAHAL!!!
I used to work at a steakhouse, and i heard this from one of the delivery guys. He said they have the grossest-looking kitchen in Calgary. And from personal experience, don't eat those fennel(?) seeds you get at the end of the meal. The last time I crunched down on something really gritty in it that was still in my teeth an hour later.

kevie88
05-02-2004, 06:41 PM
yep, my friend used to work as an inspector of kitchens at restaraunts for the health board, and he told me to never, ever, ever eat at the Taj. :barf:

bmeier
05-02-2004, 06:56 PM
That is weird, they have won numerous awards for being one of the best restaurants in calgary.

Anyways to be honest i could care less, the food is awesome and i have never been sick so who cares.
The health inspection standards are in place to protect peoples health. If the kitchen was truly unsanitary they would be shut down.

Weapon_R
05-02-2004, 07:34 PM
You can get away with a lot of things in Calgary. Don't rely too much on the health inspectors to protect you.

bmeier
05-02-2004, 07:43 PM
i disagree, i used to be a kitchen manager and the rules are fairly strict. It takes alot to close down a kitchen but trust me it has happened before

Weapon_R
05-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
i disagree, i used to be a kitchen manager and the rules are fairly strict. It takes alot to close down a kitchen but trust me it has happened before

That's my point. It takes a LOT to close down a kitchen. Mice infestation? No problem, call an exterminator, and just take care of it by the next time we come back. Poorly working refrigeration? Again, no problem. Just fix it and all is well. It takes a lot.

Short of finding a severe problem, a restaurant won't be closed down.

5.9 R/T
05-03-2004, 12:12 AM
I eat there on a regular basis and have never gotten sick from their food. Occasionally the door to the kitchen will open and i'll take a peek inside and it seems clean enough to me.

PhenomSE
05-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Dirtiest kitchen?? Mine! Hahaha :D :rofl:

QuasarCav
05-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I eat there on a regular basis and have never gotten sick from their food. Occasionally the door to the kitchen will open and i'll take a peek inside and it seems clean enough to me.

I dont care what is going on back there, the food rocks.

I thought the best measure of the food was how dirty the kitchen was??

If they spend all the time making good food then they don't have time to clean;)

Dj_Stylz
05-03-2004, 05:15 PM
I love that place

SpoonEK9@STRD
05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
ehhh thanks for the heads up! i hate dirty kitchens..

CKY
05-04-2004, 02:02 AM
its only good when the food is dirty, once they do clean up the place it won't taste the same again..........

GQBalla
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
ahah my theory is the dirtier the ktichen the better the food taste like look at the food stalls in hong kong and china and stuff
looks dirty but freakin awesome:thumbsup:

IndianCritic
07-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Serioulsy have you seen that other East Indian Resturant called Bombay Sweet House in Falconridge... I was driving by and saw the backside of the resturant so i slowed down as i was passing and the dude had dropped something on the floor and was loading it back into the pan....YUCK!!!!! like the floors could even possibly that clean for you to be doin that please................:eek:

illeagle
07-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

I dont care what is going on back there, the food rocks.

I thought the best measure of the food was how dirty the kitchen was??

If they spend all the time making good food then they don't have time to clean;)

dirty kitchens carry mice and other night crawlers.. do you wanna eat food with mice shit in it? or ants, or even a beetle wing? I'd rather enter myself in fear factor, same shit...

Speaking of, up in the N.E. there's a food market inside the pacific place mall. They sell BBQ pork and all kinds of dishes. I was in the washroom, seen the guy that chops the meat and packages it for you. He was taking a piss, then he blows his nose and goes Staight to work without cleaning his hands!!

rogue
07-05-2004, 07:18 PM
the only way you are safe from this shit is if you grow the cow kill the cow cut the cow and eat the cow. I used to buy and repair and resell comercial kitchen stoves and ovens and shit and by far the dirtiest was indian restaurants the shit is COATED with grease but that is just buildup doesnt mean the food is unsanitary if you want to try good food go to Mt Everests Kitchen it is a Nepalese restaurant and is very good the food is like a mix of indian and tibetan/chinese great a little more pricey then your average but worth it:thumbsup:

huss
07-14-2004, 03:55 PM
i think its fine...well i guess thats all u can say till there is a health incident right?

Xtrema
07-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Any Chinese decendents knows not to check kitchens of your favorite restaurants.

BTW, you don't really have fix anything the inspector warn you on. Just put on a sign say work in progress and you can get away with it for a few more years.

Just look at Calgary Court for ex.

QuasarCav
07-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Just had some Taj Mahal on saturday.

It was delicious, Ignorance is bliss!!

At least there was no Joe Rogan, so i think i'm safe;)

dust-off
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
holy shit if u guys think ANY place in calgary is bad, u should see alot of the places to eat here in morocco:eek: u would shit urself and leave in an instant! it is fucking SICK!:barf: BUT there are alot of REALLY nice places but u have to pay out the ass for the food at least its clean and tasty tho:D

badseed
09-28-2004, 06:40 PM
So many places are like this, it's unavoidable. The Taj has killer food and I wouldn't stop going there. Whoever posted this will just end up eating somwhere else with an equally dirty kitchen.

Paul
09-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Meh, what ever i got you all beat. I used to be a cook (when i was like 14) at Lake Sikome consessions. We would find mice poop in the fry containers and just throw out the poop and use the container. Later we found out that the mice that were infesting the consession were infact Deer Mice which poop is leathal if breathed in or something :drool:

HighVelocity
09-29-2004, 08:18 AM
You're referring the the Hantavirus which can be found in deer mice feces. It is a respiratory infection which has a high mortality rate. There is currently no effective hospital treatment for said virus (some experimental ones... but not publicy available).

That's really gross about the fry containers though dude...

ninjak84
09-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by dust-off
holy shit if u guys think ANY place in calgary is bad, u should see alot of the places to eat here in morocco:eek: u would shit urself and leave in an instant! it is fucking SICK!:barf: BUT there are alot of REALLY nice places but u have to pay out the ass for the food at least its clean and tasty tho:D

Heh, I've spent some time in Morocco :)
I know exactly what you mean!

dust-off
10-03-2004, 06:11 PM
cool what part of morocco?

Aidan Clay
06-30-2009, 11:16 PM
My goodness, somebody should tell the owner their business is not far from closing down if the authorities find out about their negligence.

AtkinsApproved
07-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I used to deliver coffee to all the "Coffee time" places in calgary, and they were all pretty gross.
I was delivering to one in temple, and i walk back into the kitchen, and some big greasy guy was making tomato sauce or meat sauce (i think) while smoking a cigarette. he dips his greasy finger in to try it, adds something and checks it again. soooo gross.

nonlinear
07-18-2009, 12:47 PM
not surprised...

taj mahal is one of the most overrated restaurants in the city. the food sucks (seriously - talk about grease.) and the prices are WAY too high for what you get. the space is equally shitty (dank basement without windows). they only exist because they have been around for a long time (i.e. they were one of the first indian places that 'white' people started eating at in the late 80s), and they advertise like motherfuckers. there is FAR better indian in the city... near us, moti mahal and green chili.

FiveFreshFish
07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
U&Me got fined recently.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sa=t&ct2=ca%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNEs2Ca3hT072MXmsLy9tBPhmTENsg&cid=1270820679&ei=3h5iSojuEoOskgTIovFt&rt=SEARCH&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgaryherald.com%2Fentertainment%2FCalgary%2Beatery%2Bfined%2Bmouse%2Bdroppings%2Bother%2Bhealth%2Bviolations%2F1748872%2Fstory.html

max_boost
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't understand how hard it is to comply to the rules? Strange. I guess if 99% of your customers are Asian, they just don't care. Probably because they came from places with even worse sanitary conditions? Or they don't go online to read reports? Their stomachs can tolerate it? I don't know. :nut:

BlackArcher101
07-18-2009, 02:19 PM
No offense to the OP, but isn't this a form of libel? You took the word of a delivery guy to be factual and posted it on the web, stating that this business has the dirtiest kitchen. How can you be sure this is true? Has this delivery guy been in every kitchen in Calgary?

n1zm0
07-18-2009, 02:50 PM
^OP probably wont reply, some oh-nine noob bumped this 5 y/o thread :clap:

szw
07-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You can get away with a lot of things in Calgary. Don't rely too much on the health inspectors to protect you.

I'm wondering what other cities are "better" than Calgary in terms of enforcing health code violations?

trevh
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/health-inspections/SearchServlet?direct=alphaSearch&letter=A&name=&address=&municipality=&community=

Hope the link works.

BlackArcher101
07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
^OP probably wont reply, some oh-nine noob bumped this 5 y/o thread :clap:

God damnit :banghead:

Anywho... according to health services, they have a clean bill of health and the last inspection was pretty damn good. Dirtiest kitchen my ass.

Raven_R1
07-19-2009, 12:15 PM
i can eat any kind of food accept INDIAN

Das Auto
07-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

dirty kitchens carry mice and other night crawlers.. do you wanna eat food with mice shit in it? or ants, or even a beetle wing? I'd rather enter myself in fear factor, same shit...

Speaking of, up in the N.E. there's a food market inside the pacific place mall. They sell BBQ pork and all kinds of dishes. I was in the washroom, seen the guy that chops the meat and packages it for you. He was taking a piss, then he blows his nose and goes Staight to work without cleaning his hands!!
i saw a guy who did the same things but fingered a crack whore mid stride while walking back to work. i was appauled.

brownchild
07-19-2009, 09:07 PM
what really is "clean", countertops and stovetops sprayed down with cleaning chemicals, and then have your meat, vegies, etc.. cut on top of that?

ignorance is bliss... go to the most populated countries in the world India, China etc... average ppl eat at those so called "dirty" places we here in N.A. bitch about, are they all dying?

msommers
07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
^^The difference is tolerance and/or immunity to bacterium, viruses etc. Mexicans don't get the shits from drinking the tap water down there, but you wouldn't find tourists doing that right? I understand what you mean, and a lot of people are paranoid about everything out there. Still, if I knew there was mice shit where my food was being prepared, I'd be gone in a second!