PDA

View Full Version : Racing buckets.. which are DOT approved?

Hash_man
05-03-2004, 06:41 PM
I have been wondering this for a while... I know that Sparco seats are DOT approved, or whatever it is... so, the insurance companies are OK with them, but what about companies like Recaro? bride? mugen? etc...

I know that some recaro's come stock in cars in Japan, and a few here, but are their aftermarket seats approved (DOT or whatever it is?)

It would be nice if someone could clarify which seats are good for insurance and whatnot, and which aren't?

Thanks.

JustinL
05-03-2004, 07:03 PM
I think FIA approval is what you're thinking about. Many companies have some seats that are approved and some that are not. Generally fixed back seats are FIA homologated and reclining are not, but there are some exceptions. Decide what style of seat and the price you are willing to pay and then see what falls into your criteria, then ask yourself if you really need them to be FIA approved.

Justin

hjr
05-03-2004, 07:31 PM
im not sure if any insurance company will be to pleased with "race" modifications anyways.
i have a question though, how does Transport Canada standards match up against a DOT standards, are they equal? Are all DOT approved products legit for use in canada?

Hash_man
05-04-2004, 12:34 AM
i have a question though, how does Transport Canada standards match up against a DOT standards, are they equal? Are all DOT approved products legit for use in canada?

Thats actually a really good question, I wonder if anyone knows the answer to that on here?

Decide what style of seat and the price you are willing to pay and then see what falls into your criteria, then ask yourself if you really need them to be FIA approved.

Well, I really don't think I am going to put buckets in to my car any time soon, but I have been wondering about this for a while. And if I did want to get buckets, I would definately want them to be FIA approved, otherwise, who knows how they would hold up in an accident?!

jdmakkord
05-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man

Well, I really don't think I am going to put buckets in to my car any time soon, but I have been wondering about this for a while. And if I did want to get buckets, I would definately want them to be FIA approved, otherwise, who knows how they would hold up in an accident?!

The seat may hold up in an accident, but will the belts, or the mounts? There most likely isn't an application for your gen accord for mounts. I used to feel safe in my sparcos, until I thought about it.....I've since sold them and returned to stock.

Hash_man
05-04-2004, 12:53 AM
The seat may hold up in an accident, but will the belts, or the mounts? There most likely isn't an application for your gen accord for mounts.

Actually, surprisingly sparco makes sliders for the 3rd gen accords, but I don't plan on spending $1000+ on seats for my car.

And you make a very good point... I don't think I could feel too safe with most harnesses, and if the mounts were custom :dunno:

4wheeldrift
05-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man

Actually, surprisingly sparco makes sliders for the 3rd gen accords, but I don't plan on spending $1000+ on seats for my car.

And you make a very good point... I don't think I could feel too safe with most harnesses, and if the mounts were custom :dunno: Get the mounts built out of something beefy, don't use just straight bar stock. Angle sections or square tubing is far, far stronger. Get a good fabricator to weld it up and it will be plenty strong.

Personally, I absolutely hated using a 4 or more point harness on the street. The problem is they are designed to hold you in the seat really well, and they do it. The downside of this is it made shoulder checking a complete bastard, to the point I felt it was unsafe. If its at all possible I'd highly recommend retaining the stock three point.

hjr
05-04-2004, 10:43 AM
custom mounts doesnt mean too much, i made custom mounts for my seat and harness in my rally car and NOTHING moved when i crashed over the enbankment. I moved a total of what seems like 2cm from the belts not being perfectly tight, but all my 'custom' work held strong.

Most will agree that sport seats are ok for street use, pretty safe and all, but any sort of non-retractable belt above 2 point. it is DANGEROUS. when properly done up you can NOT shoulder check which is very dangerous, and if they are improperly done up they will do more harm to you body than good in an accident. DONT USE HARNESSES ON THE STREET

three.eighteen.
05-04-2004, 10:10 PM
its all about the scroth clip-in harnesses, stock on the street, harnesses at the track

africano
05-05-2004, 04:55 PM
did you mean Schroth Harness Belts? What's so special about them? I'm looking at this by the way

http://outmotoring.com/schroth_rallye_3_harness_belt.html