PDA

View Full Version : The official Porsche 914 thread

Por-cha
05-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Anyone wanting to know about our fun little cars is welcome to ask questions.

But here are the rules:

NO SMACK TALK

If you don’t like 914’s, a certain person, their ride and/or whatever,
:whocares: PISS OFF! Take off eh, go away!

Play nice and we won't have another closed thread.

Some people did have genuine questions and interest so we’re here to answer them.

:thumbsup:

tat2dphreak
05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
:clap:

914 school is now in session ;)

:nut:

Ben
05-04-2004, 02:45 PM
This is all fine and dandy, however any Elitest attitude and talk about "How My 914 is the greatest car on the road" will also not be tollerated. Both sides are under the looking glass.
Also, Valid and diplomatic reasoning about why you dislike either the 914 or any other vehicle will be tollerated. We cant have an all praise no disagreement forum, or what would be the point of a car discussion forum?

Por-cha
Doh...someone locked the other thread and now it's open again.

I still think we should start here fresh, group hug.

Again play nice!

:burnout:

ZorroAMG
If someone wanted to get into a 914, what would they be looking to pay for it? What are the best years to buy? (am I correct in assuming the 914-6 is the one to get?)

Por-cha
05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Depends

Project cars maybe cheap to buy BUT expensive to restore. I personally would buy a nice rust free 914, so about $8000.Canadian, $6000USD would get you in the seat of a /4.
About $10000USD+ for a /6

The /4 had three engines 1.7 80hp, 1.8 75hp (smog), and the 2.0 95hp. An original /6 was a 2.0 and was only 110hp.

A /4 can be done up to 150-180hp and a /6 can take up to a 3.2 without a lot of mods. A four can be made into a six. All these mods cost money anywhere from about $4000 to $20000 Canadian depending what you do/want.

A /4 is a boat load of fun and fast, but a /6 is cool.

ZorroAMG
05-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Does the 4 need many mods to fit a 3.2? Is the front clip of the 6 bigger to accomodate the engine or is it the same as the 4? Would you say the best route is to mod a 4 2.0?

tat2dphreak
05-04-2004, 03:12 PM
914-6 would be the one to get, assuming the car is in good shape, miinimal rust etc... an original -6 in GOOD shape will run 16-18K on average... a 4 cylinder that has been converted to a nice 6 (say a 3.0 Carerra motor, all installed nicely) will be a couple grand less (since it's not original)

the 73-74 2.0 4-banger cars are then next on the desireablity list...
they have a motor that's only 5hp less than the stock 6, and weigh a couple hundred pounds less... they also have a slightly better suspension, and a much smoother-shifting tranny... expect to pay 7-8K on average, more if it's concours quality

after that... it's pretty much: the best you can find...

in fact, with rust being the biggest contributor to these cars dwindling numbers, the "most desirable" is really just one that is rust free... everything else is easy to fix!

you can get decent 914s under 5K if you look hard and are willing to do a little work on them

oh, and in regards to your other Q(best to modify a 4?): me and many others will argue this point... you CAN mod it to a -6 for about 8-10K and have 250-300 hp... you can put a Chevy V8 in for 5-6K and get 350hp + or for 6-8K you can have "the best in the type 4 business (Jake Raby) " build you a 200hp 4 banger that's VERY Light and VERY fast... I personally like the Raby engines

Por-cha
05-04-2004, 03:16 PM
The engine is in the middle;)

It's built for a six but I won't kid you a /6 conversion is not cheap. About $8000 - 10000Can + the engine and then you would want install a 911 front suspension for the bigger brakes, etc. ching-ching.

It would be cheaper to get one that is already done or buy someone’s abandoned project for 10 cents on the dollar.

Like any custom job /4 or /6 it can get into big coin.

But a nice /4 with just a couple of grand in suspension etc mods is a ton o' fun.

ZorroAMG
05-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Por-cha
The engine is in the middle;)

HAHAHA oh shit, I knew that, just with all the 500E talk on the 914 thread, I got in a front engine mindset LOL

MidEngine
05-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
If someone wanted to get into a 914, what would they be looking to pay for it? What are the best years to buy? (am I correct in assuming the 914-6 is the one to get?)

Yup, the sixes are the most desirable. Check out this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2457885328) beauty that was on ebay a while back. The '73 and '74 2.0L four-cylinder cars are also strong but they don't sound as sweet as the sixes. Here's (http://www.914club.com/downloads/Videos/P3280103.MOV) an 8.5 mb quicktime movie of a six-cylinder 914 on an autocross course if you want to hear the six.

QuasarCav
05-04-2004, 03:33 PM
what is the benefit of using one of these compared to an older 911?

4CylFiero
05-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Ouch those are expensive cars. Too pricey in my eyes, you can swap any Engine into a Fiero for a fraction of the cost. I currently have about 190 HP out a 4 banger in mine and the car weighs about 2600 with stereo and spare tire stuff. What drives you guys to own those cars, they are not attractive in my perspective, actually ogt any pictures of the back and interior.

4CylFiero
05-04-2004, 03:40 PM
That E-bay 914 is alright from the back, I don't care for chrome on the car body. The interior is horrible, it like a truck with a high dash or something, I don't car for the shift stick out of teh floor like that.

Weapon_R
05-04-2004, 03:42 PM
They are attractive in their eyes. A Fiero is not attractive to me, but you like it, and therefore thats what drives you to own one. Personally, I think owning one of these would be pretty damn cool. Imagine having an old school porsche, especially like the one posted on ebay. That blue one looks fantastic!

4CylFiero
05-04-2004, 03:46 PM
LOL it no wonder it weighs 2200 pounds it's jack is held in by and elastic band.

Just out of curiousity whats in the front, a fiero has brake booster/master cylinder, clutch master, radiator, cooland resevior, and then the spare and jack of course.

ZorroAMG
05-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I agree, a mint one like the one on E-bay is way nicer than the ones I usually see, still way up on the fence on the styling overall though :tongue:

MidEngine
05-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 4CylFiero
Ouch those are expensive cars. Too pricey in my eyes, you can swap any Engine into a Fiero for a fraction of the cost. I currently have about 190 HP out a 4 banger in mine and the car weighs about 2600 with stereo and spare tire stuff. What drives you guys to own those cars, they are not attractive in my perspective, actually ogt any pictures of the back and interior.

Well, you could buy a four-cylinder one and then drop in a V8 (http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914.htm) . That way you'd have one quick mid-engined car for less than $15,000.

Redlyne_mr2
05-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Did you guys see the 914 in this months Excellence? Such a clean awesome little car. Then theres the 914-6 GT which placed 6th at Lemans in 1970 right off the showroom floor, there were only 20 of these made. If you can't find or afford a 914-6 gt then the standard 914-6 will do just fine. It placed 6th amongst Excellences ten best drivers Porsches,pretty impressive IMO. This comment by David Colman a feature editor for Excellence magazine comes to mind: "The mid-engined VW-Porsche 914 is the best handling, most useful Porsche built to date. Unfortunately, the company has abandoned the value segment of the market to build cars affordable only to the rich. Since most of them can't drive a proliferation of luxury items has supplanted performance options. Instead of gearsets, we get leather options. Instead of hardcore race goods, we get soft-core adorn. That's why you'll find the older, simpler, and sharper cars domination my list. Give me a knife-edged 914-6 anyday":)

Chevolvo
05-04-2004, 03:56 PM
LOL it no wonder it weighs 2200 pounds it's jack is held in by and elastic band.

Just out of curiousity whats in the front, a fiero has brake booster/master cylinder, clutch master, radiator, cooland resevior, and then the spare and jack of course.

http://iesforums.org/labels.jpg

The big black blob in the back of the shot is the gas tank, and under the floor of the trunk is the spare tire. Lots of room for luggage in there, and the rear trunk has even more. I'm going to be taking a 6000 mile cross country trip in a few weeks, and even with all my clothes and a very complete selection of tools, jack, etc. I'm still going to have plenty of room.

Por-cha
05-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Ouch those are expensive cars. Too pricey in my eyes, you can swap any Engine into a Fiero for a fraction of the cost.

It's a Porsche, as soon as you put a #9 in the part number it gets spendy.
I did a total score on my real nice 914/ 4 1.8, I paid $4500. Canadian for it.

I currently have about 190 HP out a 4 banger in mine and the car weighs about 2600 with stereo and spare tire stuff.
You can also put a SB chevy into a teen for less$$$, or a RX7, subaru 4 or 6 and others it's been done.

What drives you guys to own those cars, they are not attractive in my perspective, actually ogt any pictures of the back and interior.

Your opinion, I look at my car from one angle and it's very attractive but from another it's weird. The big one is when it's done right it's total killer in the twisties.

4CylFiero
NOt to be rude but you could do it for half in a fiero, and there is support for such a modification, there are companies that sell kits to install SBC in fieros, this doesn't involve any body reinforcing. That is a very nice car in the link you posted, like the addition of the later porsche rims on it. Is this the stock transmission, how much torque can it handle. The problem with a fiero V-8 swap unless you want to put it in longditute then you have to use a GETREG 5 spd, and they aren't the best transmission.

MidEngine
The 914-6 GT won its class at Le Mans in 1970 but it was a prepared race-car like all the others.

MidEngine
05-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I agree, a mint one like the one on E-bay is way nicer than the ones I usually see, still way up on the fence on the styling overall though :tongue:

Everyone has their own tastes. I think the 914 looks very "European" and I love it. Plus, you can use it to go to the airport, cross the desert, go surfing or even skiing. Lol!

http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/1973Porsche914-4Targa.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/desert_p.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/surf_por.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/public/alpine65/schuss_p.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
05-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Those pics rule, haha Zorro how could you not like the 914 that guy in the desert porsche pic reminds me of you

ZorroAMG
05-04-2004, 05:23 PM
LOL, Redlyne, he does!! hahaha...ok, that does it, I am buying one!! :tongue:

Por-cha
05-04-2004, 05:37 PM
NOt to be rude but you could do it for half in a fiero, and there is support for such a modification, there are companies that sell kits to install SBC in fieros, this doesn't involve any body reinforcing.

Yes, other cars are cheaper but it's not a Porsche. I personally think that all luxury and sports cars are not worth it, but if a person wants it bad enough they'll buy it. Look at rage2's MB, I mean it's sweet, but I would invest in another house, etc. for that coin. The price of my 914 is acceptable to me and if I was to sell it today I would get all my money back, maybe more.

A couple of companies make the V8 kits. I costs more because a 914 is aircooled and has no rad, lines, etc. so it's a bit more work. The frame is good for 300hp after that you can reinforce or do a roll cage. The trans is good for about the same as long as don't use 1st and you don't need it for a V8.

Por-cha
05-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Here's a 914 on ebay in Toronto, not totally correct (like the exhaust and a couple of other things) but it looks not too bad.
PPI anyone;)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6430&item=2477055579&rd=1

tat2dphreak
05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
one thing I HAVE to mention about the 914... is how other cars have taken styling cues from it 20+ years later... the MR2s(esp those of the 80's) Honda Del Sol (even had a targa top!), the fiero, and even the new elise... if you look you will see certain styling cues... easiest ones to spot are the "sail-panels" that these cars have behind the seat... the 914 rarely gets credit for this... but it should :)

just thought I'd share :D

Raindog
07-12-2004, 06:13 AM
anyone in southwestern ont?
-jb

Por-cha
07-12-2004, 07:03 AM
I'm near Port Hope, east of TO.

There is a good 914 shop close by and I build his engines (all aircooled engines)

If your new to 914's check out club914.com