PDA

View Full Version : *urgent. drinking age`

HTN SWCHS
05-06-2004, 11:14 AM
http://www.cfcn.ca/

scroll down and vote against changing it to 19

tulit
05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Because I'm sure voting on a TV stations website is going to affect what the government decides....

I for one am all for it.

Gonthro
05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
i heard about this, however most people on this board are over 19, so they dont care...

if they are worried about alcohol related accidents they should just make it mandatory for manufacturers to put in a blower so you have to blow every time you start the car.... still wont stop people., but it would help :P

rage2
05-06-2004, 11:21 AM
haha, like it matters. I was drinking almost every weekend when I was 14.

Weapon_R
I'm all for it. It should actually be changed to 21. Too many immature assholes cause far too much trouble for it to remain at 18.

redec
it's quite funny....more often than not (in my experience anyways), people drink way less as soon as they hit the legal drinking age...once it's legal it's not near as much fun

Gonthro
05-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by redec
it's quite funny....more often than not (in my experience anyways), people drink way less as soon as they hit the legal drinking age...once it's legal it's not near as much fun :werd:

i used to binge all the time before i was legal, now i think i have had maybe 2 cases in the past 2 years

ryder_23
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
it's quite funny....more often than not (in my experience anyways), people drink way less as soon as they hit the legal drinking age...once it's legal it's not near as much fun

:werd: same thing here, i just drink for diff circumstances, and casual beers here and their, you realize it gets way to expensive to go out and drink....they could go right ahead and change it...wont change much except finally highschool kids wont be at the bar, but increase in use of fake ids...

roopi
05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
I voted to change it to 19. Doesn't affect me. :D

xkon
05-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by roopi

:werd: keep those punks out of the bars for one more year :thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
05-06-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm all for 19 OR 21...

Roaring G60
05-06-2004, 12:15 PM
I feel that Canada should follow the european model, allow drinking @ 16 however you don't get your driver lisence until 18, I feel that at least in my case and most of my friends we have discovered our drinking limits and the affects it has on us as we've grown older and now don't drink obsene amounts as well did when we where younger. They also treat driving as a privilage not a garantee.

redec
05-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Roaring G60
I feel that Canada should follow the european model, allow drinking @ 16 however you don't get your driver lisence until 18, I feel that at least in my case and most of my friends we have discovered our drinking limits and the affects it has on us as we've grown older and now don't drink obsene amounts as well did when we where younger. They also treat driving as a privilage not a garantee.

:werd: seems like a smarter system to me...if it were legal at a younger age, I doubt it would even be as big a problem as it is right now....once it's legal it has alot less appeal to those going through their 'rebelious stage'.

Gonthro
05-06-2004, 12:40 PM

:werd: seems like a smarter system to me...if it were legal at a younger age, I doubt it would even be as big a problem as it is right now....once it's legal it has alot less appeal to those going through their 'rebelious stage'.

:werd: they should do some research, im sure most of the accidents caused hre are bc kids coming here just to drink :P

403Gemini
05-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I'm all for it. It should actually be changed to 21. Too many immature assholes cause far too much trouble for it to remain at 18.

after june 7th i agree (i turn 21 on june 7th lol)

but yea even people my age arent all that mature "OMG I GOT SHITFACED" *claps* good for you :rolleyes:

sputnik
05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I'm all for 19 OR 21...

:werd:

21 would be nice... keep the brats out of the bars.

KoukiS14
05-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I'm all for 19 OR 21...

I couldnt agree more!

:werd:

Master D. Bater
05-06-2004, 02:24 PM
I am almost 19 so it makes no difference to me! :D Actually, I'm 18 and a half so maybe I will vote!

jdmsource
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rage2
haha, like it matters. I was drinking almost every weekend when I was 14.
ahahahahaha i remember going to my friends house every lunch hour cuz we had just discovered the greatness of beer lol

dogmaiwli
05-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm all for 21 not 19, Keep the (mostly) immature punks, trying to start fights, getting hosed, etc..... out of the bars. I'm not saying all of them are immature punks, but I have dealt with many. I used to be a bouncer at CJ's until it closed.

Seanith
05-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by roopi
:D

pyro
05-06-2004, 03:38 PM
they better not change it cause ill be 18 in a couple of months and that will suck if the day before my birthday they pass the law that u have to be 19 or 21 to drink legally. :banghead:

jdmakkord
05-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by dogmaiwli
I'm all for 21 not 19, Keep the (mostly) immature punks, trying to start fights, getting hosed, etc..... out of the bars. I'm not saying all of them are immature punks, but I have dealt with many. I used to be a bouncer at CJ's until it closed.

Haha many a friday night I spent in that place!

autodc5
05-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I say 21 because there is too much high school bitching going on at clubs now a days and removing these people from this environment for a few more years gives them a chance to grow up and realize fighting and being total morons isnt cool. I am 18 and while I would like to go to the bars/clubs more it has lost its appeal to me, but with all the fights and stabbings that happen its not worth it anymore. Setting the drinking age higher isnt going to stop younger people from drinking, it will just keep them out of a very crowded and dangerous environment . People will always be stupid but at least give them a few more years to mature and learn that there is more pride and strength in walking away then there is in starting fights and being an asshole.

JustinL
05-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro

:werd: they should do some research, im sure most of the accidents caused hre are bc kids coming here just to drink :P

That is a very good point. I've heard that there is a big problem at the borders with kids from B.C. and Sask. coming to Alberta to drink and then driving home back across the border. I don't really care what the age is, but it should be the same for all provinces.

finboy
05-07-2004, 09:19 AM
meh, make it 21, by the time the government gets through with it i'll be that old anyways.

403Gemini
05-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by autodc5
I say 21 because there is too much high school bitching going on at clubs now a days and removing these people from this environment for a few more years gives them a chance to grow up and realize fighting and being total morons isnt cool. I am 18 and while I would like to go to the bars/clubs more it has lost its appeal to me, but with all the fights and stabbings that happen its not worth it anymore. Setting the drinking age higher isnt going to stop younger people from drinking, it will just keep them out of a very crowded and dangerous environment . People will always be stupid but at least give them a few more years to mature and learn that there is more pride and strength in walking away then there is in starting fights and being an asshole.

for sure! exactally right! kids fresh outta high school who are 18 still have that "im so hardcore" attitude in their mind. they think "OMG if i get in a fight i got my posse yo mang nobody touch us!!!"

least 1-2 yrs outta high school you realize, what you were in high school dont mean shit now

Weapon_R
05-07-2004, 12:48 PM
LOL, this thread backfired pretty badly :rofl:

Vote to raise!

BebeAphrodite
05-07-2004, 06:17 PM
ha hah a
ya.. i voted to up the age restriction
however, i doubt it will have any impact at all as most ppl r in the clubs at the tender age of 15 n lower neways

SwitchBlade
05-07-2004, 11:18 PM
It really doesnt phase me much. I am of legal age now and have had my fun. I dont see much point to clubbing anymore. As weird as it sounds its not a big deal.

JordanLotoski
05-07-2004, 11:23 PM
i vote they change it to 21..iam so sick of seeing all these lil kids out at the bars making it shitty for all of us

A_3
05-08-2004, 09:29 AM
fuck it, i'm 17 and i think they should raise it to 21, 19 is pointless because just means you have to hold onto your fake i.d. one more year. It's not like getting into the bars is a problem to any guys 17 and up and girls... i know 15 year old girls who can get in no prob... it's a joke. If they raised it to 21 it would eliminate all the "hard-core" punks who look for fights just cause. If it actually worked it would severly cut down on drunk driving because you are more mature at 21 and know your limits... too bad it won't like rage said... drinking since 14, i don't think raising the limit will change all that much.

Kobe
05-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Im 16, i got a fake, iv gone 2 a bar once or twice...
Its just over priced alcohol there i think...

hjr
05-09-2004, 07:22 PM
less, i think 16 or something more european. but that means other euro things should be adopted too like driving standards and whatnot, but considering this will never happen, we might as well just say fuck it and let the govt do what they will. I personally thing MORE DUI's will happen cause more people will be scared to be caught drunk. Saskatchewan was actually thinking of lowering their age to 18 to match alberta's.
I just have 1 more point, by our standards you are an adult at 18, and everything that this relates to, gambling, drinking, hard jail time. i hate the idea of being an "adult" but still being restricted. that being said it doesnt really affect me.

iceburns288
05-09-2004, 07:32 PM
I think y'all should lower it... a lot of kids drink because they think it's cool. They're being 'rebels' to the 'system'.:rolleyes: Freshman at my school drink, and lowering it or raising it would make no difference.

Seanith
05-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
lowering it or raising it would make no difference.

Raising it will keep you and your freshmen buddies from going to the bar and making it 'ghey' :rolleyes:

SAiamNE
05-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Well lets look at this for a 2nd... Most of you guy's are talking about raising it to 21. Well scrap that because they want to raise it to 19....
What i see is what the hell is one year gonna do???
I might see some postive changes if changed to 21.. but not 1 year older at just 19.... Kind of a waste IMO..

Kobe
05-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Dont see whats so bad about drinking when were 16..

I see it as, if your responcible enough to drive a car and not crash it, not speed..you should be able 2 drink...

ramminghard
05-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

I see it as, if your responcible enough to drive a car and not crash it, not speed..you should be able 2 drink...

Do you realize how many 16 year olds crash and speed? I'm guessing no because if you did that would completly contradict what your saying.

Seanith
05-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

Well if its raised to 19, then the people would be out of highschool before they are allowed to drink. See how that would be a good thing?

Anko
05-16-2004, 02:55 AM
Does it really matter... I got my first sip of alcohol when I was 5, but I only drink on rare occasion. It is usually less than 6 glasses of wine or cooler per year. The reason why you see less drunk driver that are middle age people is because all those teenage drunk drivers already crashed themselves before they could turn into adult drunk drivers.

Even if they change the legal drinking age to 25, people will still get a hold of alchohol. I am against changing the age because my age is right on the dot on the current drinking age.

Kor
05-16-2004, 03:08 AM
I gotta agree with the lower drinking age but higher age for a driver's license.

If I think back to how I drove my first car when I was 16... oh my god.

Anko
05-16-2004, 03:15 AM
I don't think increasing the driving age would help, but increasing the difficulty of the test certainly would. I passed my driver even though I am probably the worst driver my teacher ever had. That test was a jock, all I had to do was to drive slowly and say good morning to the tester.