PDA

View Full Version : Telus people, a little help?

lint
05-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Just wondering if any of the Telus employees here know anyone in the newly created VAS (Value Added Sales) Team? I've applied for a position and would be very greatful if I had the name of the hiring manager to follow up with.

jdmakkord
05-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Good luck contacting any hiring managers, Telus is one corp. that if they want to hire you, they will, otherwise your s.o.l.

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Telus apparently brainwashes people, too.
A family friend moved to Calgary to work on the 8th floor of the Telus Towers, in the Enterprise Solutions Dep't, and she seems to have just disappeared. No one has heard from her in over a year. She used to be a graphic designer so this career move was odd.
Something strange going on?

megadethmer
05-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Yeah definetely sounds like telus brainwashed her.

Ben
05-18-2004, 12:54 PM
hahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahaha

ddmmak
05-18-2004, 02:41 PM
:eek:

benyl
05-18-2004, 02:50 PM
:banghead:

ddmmak
05-18-2004, 02:55 PM
brain washing!! for sure... i work at telus mobility!!!>.. in the begininning the training classes are like... telus is the best.. we rule... its a good place to work though!!! good pay!!!

PhenomSE
05-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ddmmak
... its a good place to work though!!! good pay!!!

It is?? Sweet...I go to my assessment test on May 20/04 :thumbsup:

Ben
05-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Thank God I'm outta that Sales and Telemarketing and Customer Service junk and into Technology and Operations! What a hole that was.

PhenomSE
05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
What's wrong with Customer Service? I like it... :D

PhenomSE
05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
StarChoice was a great job until they canned me b/c I was on my "6 month probation" and was in the hospital for a month :( ...stupid bastards! :rolleyes: :D

Ben
05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by PhenomSE
What's wrong with Customer Service? I like it... :D

Simply that I get paid more to do less at a job that is more fun :)

PhenomSE
05-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Fair enough :D

Talies R
05-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Meteorite
Telus apparently brainwashes people, too.
A family friend moved to Calgary to work on the 8th floor of the Telus Towers, in the Enterprise Solutions Dep't, and she seems to have just disappeared. No one has heard from her in over a year. She used to be a graphic designer so this career move was odd.
Something strange going on?

Originally posted by megadethmer
Yeah definetely sounds like telus brainwashed her.

hahahahahahaha.

PhenomSE
05-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Well I made it past the assessment test and have an interview tomorrow...the test was 3 hours!! Supposidly the interview is an hour...hopefully all goes well. :thumbsup:

Ben
05-31-2004, 09:57 PM
hahaha, this is your interview in a nutshell.

Manager: Hello, thanks for coming in today.

You: Thanks for having me.

Manager: Ok, Sell me something. Anything. I want to be sold on anything.

have fun, the begining of the end young grasshopper.

nosegrindR
05-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Ben
hahaha, this is your interview in a nutshell.

Manager: Hello, thanks for coming in today.

You: Thanks for having me.

Manager: Ok, Sell me something. Anything. I want to be sold on anything.

have fun, the begining of the end young grasshopper.

:werd: the interview basically wants to see if you're not an idiot and if you have any selling skills

Pacman
05-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by nosegrindR

:werd: the interview basically wants to see if you're not an idiot and if you have any selling skills

Remember to ask those open ended probing questions

nosegrindR
06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

Remember to ask those open ended probing questions

haha
hi this is telus calling, just wanted to say welcome to telus!
guess what i have something cool to tell you, it's called the welcome bundle

jdmakkord
06-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by nosegrindR

haha
hi this is telus calling, just wanted to say welcome to telus!
guess what i have something cool to tell you, it's called the welcome bundle

That script made me made loot when I worked there!!!! lol, too bad it wasn't approved by management:rofl: Right Ben?

kenny
06-01-2004, 12:54 AM
That "sell me something" interview/training is the most common thing I've ever seen. Everybody uses that and every time, without fail the person selling will always sell a pen or pencil hahah.

jdmakkord
06-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by kenny
That "sell me something" interview/training is the most common thing I've ever seen. Everybody uses that and every time, without fail the person selling will always sell a pen or pencil hahah.

I sold a bottle of wine:D

PhenomSE
06-04-2004, 04:17 PM
I had to sell him a chair :D

DarkDream
06-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I sold him a cruise...

PhenomSE
06-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately I don't think I did so well on selling him that chair b/c I got an email saying I am not what they were looking for... :dunno: BUT I also received an email from Telus (Not Mobility) and they want me to come in and re-write the assessment test. :dunno: So I just emailed them back stating that I would gladly like a position but I already wrote the damn 3 hour test. :D That is what the email told me to do. :thumbsup: Maybe I should try selling him/her a bag of crack this time :bigpimp:

lint
06-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Geeeze, 25 replies and not one of them helpful (especially that brainwashed crap). Y'all need your own Telus discussion thread.
Anyways, on topic has anyone been through an Analyst interview or a non-sles interview?

CanadianFC
06-10-2004, 06:23 PM
There's no luck in contacting the hiring manager. I had an inside reference that handed my resume to the person hiring and I was still told I had to apply online.

If this is for the Business Analyst interview. They will ask you Behavioural descriptive.

"Describe a situation where ..."
"If you have to deal with this kind of person you would .. "
"How would you prioritize your time if 4 or 5 people require results.. "

They're looking for "stars" .. didn't know what the heck they meant.

It took them forever to contact me after I applied too, like almost 3 weeks. And I think you're probably gonna get 2 interviews too.
One will probably be technical, can't really help you with that one. Either you know it or you don't.

lint
06-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by CanadianFC
There's no luck in contacting the hiring manager. I had an inside reference that handed my resume to the person hiring and I was still told I had to apply online.

If this is for the Business Analyst interview. They will ask you Behavioural descriptive.

"Describe a situation where ..."
"If you have to deal with this kind of person you would .. "
"How would you prioritize your time if 4 or 5 people require results.. "

It took them forever to contact me after I applied too, like almost 3 weeks. And I think you're probably gonna get 2 interviews too.
One will probably be technical, can't really help you with that one. Either you know it or you don't.

Finally a helpful post.

That is indeed the position, and if they're looking for stars, it means they're looking for the best, however they determine it. Not worried about the interview, just wanted some background info. After interviewing with MS, no "regular" interview is going to phase me.

As for contacting the manager, it helps get your name there. He's already seen it on the resume when it was handed in, if you make an impression, he may well remember you better.

the-240sx-guy
06-11-2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by lint

That is indeed the position, and if they're looking for stars, it means they're looking for the best, however they determine it.

Thats not what they mean when asking about stars,

Telus uses an interview technique called behavior interviewing. It is an approach that assumes that your past performance predicts your future work performance.

when they say they are looking for the "star" approach during questioning in the interviewing, they are asking for you to answer the question based on a specific format

S: Situation - A customer called in and is complaining about charges on her bill

T: Task - As a rep of my company, i was responsible for resolving this issue

A: Action - Explained to customer the charges

R: Result - Customer left happy

of course your answer should be more detailed, as this was just an example.

alot of companies today are using this behavioral interviewing approach with the star format emphazised in questions.

When they asked you these questions, i hoped you answered along this format, as they do explain it to you and asks you to answer it in this way, if you didnt, chances are slim that they will call you back if you couldnt follow thier verbal directions.

lint
06-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by the-240sx-guy

Thats not what they mean when asking about stars,

Telus uses an interview technique called behavior interviewing. It is an approach that assumes that your past performance predicts your future work performance.

when they say they are looking for the "star" approach during questioning in the interviewing, they are asking for you to answer the question based on a specific format

S: Situation - A customer called in and is complaining about charges on her bill

T: Task - As a rep of my company, i was responsible for resolving this issue

A: Action - Explained to customer the charges

R: Result - Customer left happy

of course your answer should be more detailed, as this was just an example.

alot of companies today are using this behavioral interviewing approach with the star format emphazised in questions.

When they asked you these questions, i hoped you answered along this format, as they do explain it to you and asks you to answer it in this way, if you didnt, chances are slim that they will call you back if you couldnt follow thier verbal directions.

Interesting, same technique that is now taught when completing resumes:
C - hallenge
A - ction
R - esult

No problem then

lint
06-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Ok, for the Telus Mobility people, what's it really like to work there? Good points, bad points. Trying to get an unbiased or more rounded opinion. Work environment, training, benefits, pay, etc.

the-240sx-guy
06-11-2004, 06:22 PM
it depends on the position you are applying for. The newly created VAS department is basically a telemarketing dept. that will be calling current telus mobility clients and trying to sell them call display, wireless data packages..etc. personally its not something i would enjoy

but depts like Client Care, Channel Care are great jobs, if you can handle a little stress. everything including training, benefits and pay are quite good,

lint
06-11-2004, 06:45 PM
it depends on the position you are applying for. The newly created VAS department is basically a telemarketing dept. that will be calling current telus mobility clients and trying to sell them call display, wireless data packages..etc. personally its not something i would enjoy

but depts like Client Care, Channel Care are great jobs, if you can handle a little stress. everything including training, benefits and pay are quite good,

The position is with the VAS department, but not telemarketing. More on the technical end, creating the data that is used by the programmers to determine what retention programs to create.

the-240sx-guy
06-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by lint

The position is with the VAS department, but not telemarketing. More on the technical end, creating the data that is used by the programmers to determine what retention programs to create.

Are you talkin about the business anaylst position?

A regular member of the VAS team is tele-sales. What your talking about seems to fit the discription of the Business Anaylst who work with but not in VAS

heres a description taken off the Telus website:

"The primary focus of the VAS team is outbound sales to Telus Mobilitys existing PCS post-paid client base. This team provides Telus Mobility with increased opportunities for new customers and revenue. It also creates awareness of features and hardware available within portfolio of existing products and services."

but that aside, have u heard back about the status of your application?

lint
06-15-2004, 07:58 AM

Are you talkin about the business anaylst position?

A regular member of the VAS team is tele-sales. What your talking about seems to fit the discription of the Business Anaylst who work with but not in VAS

heres a description taken off the Telus website:

"The primary focus of the VAS team is outbound sales to Telus Mobilitys existing PCS post-paid client base. This team provides Telus Mobility with increased opportunities for new customers and revenue. It also creates awareness of features and hardware available within portfolio of existing products and services."

but that aside, have u heard back about the status of your application?

Yeah, it's an analyst position. I had originally applied for the Business Analyst position, but the interviewer brought up two positions they're looking to fill. It is with the Loyalty and Retention group. First interview was late last week, I have the second panel later this week.

lint
06-21-2004, 09:47 AM
bump

Getting really close, anyone else have anything to add regarding working for Mobility? Pros, cons, benefits, perks, etc etc?

Ben
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
everything is job dependant, each department has different benefits.

I think everyone gets the phone discount tho. 30% off your bill.

lint
06-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Last stages, and they interview one more person, who has more experience than me. Damn it! I wanted that job too.

Oh well, good thing I have something else to fall back on. Luck o the draw.

lint
09-08-2004, 11:52 AM
bumpity,

Another BA position opened up and I'm in the final stages again.

Didn't ask this last time, but is Mobility unionized? Specifically the L&R group?

Ben
09-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Mobility is not unionized.

RGSMDNR
09-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

That script made me made loot when I worked there!!!! lol, too bad it wasn't approved by management:rofl: Right Ben?

who were your managers?

CanadianFC
09-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Mobility is Unionized unless you're in management.

lint
09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Mobility is Unionized unless you're in management.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be unionized.

CanadianFC
09-14-2004, 09:28 AM
When you get hired look me up in Teamcards and we'll go have lunch.

lint
09-14-2004, 04:16 PM
When you get hired look me up in Teamcards and we'll go have lunch.

You're at the memorial drive location? Should be starting in about a week, maybe a week and a half.