PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE MARTIAL ART

dogmaiwli
05-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Getting a feel

Do you practice maritial arts / Combat arts (incl Wrestling)
if so which one / Where / Prices?

in your opinion which are the best or combos of the best.

I have taken Taekwondo for 10 Years, and am looking at trying Either Kung-Fu or Akido for a while.

QuasarCav
05-06-2004, 03:19 PM
I wrestled all throughout junior high and high school.

I was part of the school team and a club.

the club is about 150/year not including travel for tournaments.

I like wrestling the best, tried kung-fu and a little karate. maybe it's because i'm white:dunno:

SubaruHottie
05-06-2004, 03:28 PM
I don't know if it's a martial art, but I took yoga for a really long time and it's pretty cool! Not much use if you're getting beat up but still fun. I'm also a lot more flexible now!! :thumbsup:

Shaolin
05-06-2004, 03:46 PM
I took Wushu and Shaolin back when i lived in HK.. taught me discipline and other things..

Khyron
05-06-2004, 04:57 PM
I've been doing Jiu-jitsu for about 4 years (not the groundfighting stuff). It's what the army and the RCMP get taught. It's effective self-defence, but you can't really spar with it. So if you like tournaments and competitions, this isn't it. I've started going up to Edmonton once a month for traditional sword training, but there's nothing really in Calgary for it. Akido has sword and staff work, but I didn't really like the rolling/leaping in the hand-to-hand aspects.

Actually there's a 2 day camp (3-4 hrs a day) for 65 bucks on the May long weekend at the Southland leisure center with several different instructors if you want to try a bunch of different things. PM if interested.

Khyron

Phats
05-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I am just wondering because I move between calgary and lethbridge, for school and summer, is it worth it to start something like martial arts. I have always wanted to for fitness and discipline among other things but never joined a place. Also the fact that I'm 22 and you see a lot of people starting when they are younger, like 15, 16.

Khyron
05-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Age doesn't matter much - I took Karate was I was like 12 and hated it. Started again at 25, and there's older people doing it. Just takes more work to get flexible if your art demands it. Even 3-4 months is long enough to learn some stuff and certainly can't hurt.

Khyron

pinoyhero
05-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Drunken fighting, hehe.

sputnik
05-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Hapkido (or Hap Ki Do)

Its basically the Korean Military unarmed form of combat. Uses mostly throws, holds and jointlocks mixed with kicks and punches. Strong ground fighting techniques as well.

Kicking similar to Taw Kwon Do, however the kicks are slightly slower but much stronger.

www.flyingeaglehapkido.com

CLiVE
05-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Hapkido as well!

Actually the martial art I practice is a mixed martial arts, but hapkido based. Been taking martial arts 13 years now...

dogmaiwli
05-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Phats
I am just wondering because I move between calgary and lethbridge, for school and summer, is it worth it to start something like martial arts. I have always wanted to for fitness and discipline among other things but never joined a place. Also the fact that I'm 22 and you see a lot of people starting when they are younger, like 15, 16.

If you have the time and the desire there is nothing better than a martial art to ground you and give you some discipline, not to mention some understanding of a foreign way of life and lots and lots of exercise, i don't regret at all taking martial arts. and no matter the martial art it can be adapted for 4 year olds - 95 year olds. with huge benefits

Marsh
05-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Anyone ever taken Ninjitsu?

GSR Zero
05-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm taking Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) Kung-fu here in Calgary. Its a great style of kung-fu. Its not as nice to at as some of the other styles but very useful and powerful. If you are interested, I can send you a link to the website.

ShOwOfF
05-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Anyone ever taken Ninjitsu?

Yep, i finished a junior black belt in Tae Kwon Do when I was 13 and did about 8 months of Ninjitsu. Its very similar to jiu-jitsu and my sensei focused more on the real life uses of it rather than practicing swording.

I'd recommend Tae Kwon Do for anyone who is just looking for some exercise, as Tae Kwon Do is much more competition based than the other forms of Martial Arts.

sputnik
05-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ShOwOfF

I'd recommend Tae Kwon Do for anyone who is just looking for some exercise, as Tae Kwon Do is much more competition based than the other forms of Martial Arts.

I would sooner take it one step further and take Hapkido. No competitions... however strong kicks, more self defense (joint locks and pressure points) and ground fighting techniques.

Loose
05-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Phats

Talk to National Kickboxing and the Canadian Martial Arts Center in Lethbridge. They are affiliated and you may be able to join one and practice at both.

Loose
05-07-2004, 02:06 PM
..and yeah, i do muay thai or kickboxing. i just love the sport to death. I like striking (not grappling) and I think it's the best art for this. The training is really good for conditioning too. Mostly I like it because of the lack of "culture", if you know what I mean. There aren't any forms or things like that, it's just raw training and technique, in the most practical form.

The only other martial art I've done is Tae Kwon Do. It's good for little kids, but is basically useless in any form othe than sport.

Fuji
05-07-2004, 02:13 PM
shaq-fu

dkny_stylez
05-13-2004, 09:29 AM
muay thai

Melinda
05-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Muai Thai :thumbsup:

edw
05-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) :thumbsup:

SwitchBlade
05-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I did karate and tae kwon do, no i am only practicing the dark art of dead or alive 3 and ninja gaiden :thumbsup:

A2VR6
05-14-2004, 07:39 PM
I take Hapkido, it's my 7th year so far. For you Hapkido people, what belt are you guys?

rogue
05-14-2004, 09:16 PM
i took ninjitsu for quite awile and i will tell you this if you like competition sports NOT IT if you want to play and spar with people NOT IT if you wanna break bones and rip off ears and noses and pretty much destroy a person that is 2 to 3 times your size THIS IS IT. I took Tae Kwon Do and ninjitsu i loved the exercise of tae kwon do and the tournements i liked the street value of ninjitsu but it gave me to much power which i do not need (just get my self in shit). I would take Kung Fu or Hap Ki Do (i started hapkido but injured my neck at work and had to quit). I prefer the Korean arts nice mixture of chinese and japanese.

CKY
05-17-2004, 03:21 AM
guess i'm the first one but i like judo

i'm showing interest in learning some form of martial arts in the near future, i'm 16, and i have no martial arts expreience. i'm looking for something with more real life self defense form of martial arts, which one would you guys recommend?

sputnik
05-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
I take Hapkido, it's my 7th year so far. For you Hapkido people, what belt are you guys?

Which Dojang do you go to? I'm still a lowly yellow belt.

Khyron
05-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by CKY
guess i'm the first one but i like judo

i'm showing interest in learning some form of martial arts in the near future, i'm 16, and i have no martial arts expreience. i'm looking for something with more real life self defense form of martial arts, which one would you guys recommend?

Jiu-jitsu or hapkido IMO.

Khyron

Neons4life
06-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Muay Thai.

Love it, and definately recommend it. The people there are amazing, and really friendly.