PDA

View Full Version : Overall GPA at the U of C

V6-BoI
05-06-2004, 08:19 PM
I heard that they don't count spring/summer GPA towards your overall GPA anymore, does anyone know if this is true??

kaput
05-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Gainsbarre
05-06-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm about 99.99% certain that spring/summer courses DO count towards your overall GPA.

Mckenzie
05-06-2004, 08:39 PM
They are not EVER used for calculating GPA towards awards or scholarships. They are also not used to calculate GPA for the same year as that summer/fall semester.

But I think Kaput is kinda right...if you are transferring and you need 10 classes, they start at the end of winter and go back 10 classes. So if you only have 8 done until the end of winter, then they will look into your previous year and take your two highest marks, which may be spring/summer classes, that will = 10 classes.

I am transferring into Haskayne for next year and I did 4 classes fall and 5 classes winter. So they take my highest grade from winter 2003 (I did not take spring/summer) into the calculation of my 10 class average.

Call the registrar for more details.

kiwi
05-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Spring/Summer courses count towards your next Fall/Winter

& yes, they are also calculated into your overall GPA... check the Degree Navigator & you'll see how they do it.

V6-BoI
05-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Alright, so if I took spring/summer courses last year, they SHOULD count it towards this years overall GPA right? Man... I sure hope so if not, I'm kinda screwed

YCB
05-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
Alright, so if I took spring/summer courses last year, they SHOULD count it towards this years overall GPA right? Man... I sure hope so if not, I'm kinda screwed

this is correct, if u took spring/summer last year,,, they will apply the gpa to this year..

im the same i did good in spring/summer but bad this year.. so i need those marks!

BebeAphrodite
05-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Of course the Spring/Summer count towards GPA. If they didn't then what's the point of taking courses seriously during the Spring/Summer semester and still have to pay the full amount.
I'm positive they count towards overall GPA.

This is how it works:

if you took Spring 2003 and/or Summer 2003, they count towards the 2003/2004 year GPA.

So basically to calculate the GPA of the 2003/2004 year at the end of winter 2004, you take the GPA of Spring 2003, Summer 2003, Fall 2003, and Winter 2004.

U of C also does an overall review of everyone's marks at the end of Winter 2004. In the review they take into account all four semesters (if you took them) starting from Spring 2003.

V6-BoI
05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Alright, cool, thanks for the info everyone. :thumbsup:

V6-BoI
05-10-2004, 08:07 PM
hmm... this wierd, they didn't include my spring/summer classes into my second year GPA, oh well I'm over a 2.00 anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter if they do or not.

BebeAphrodite
05-10-2004, 11:08 PM
what do u mean they don't include your spring/summer classes in your second year GPA?

When I went into the Student Advisor room (209) they explained to me how they calculate the average when they do the yearly review. She pulled up my file to calculate this past year's GPA and for this year (ending Winter 2004) she pulled up Spring 03/Summer 03/Fall 04 and Winter 04 to calculate it.

If you mean on infonet, it won't show up because they only show one semester's average at once. They don't even give an overall GPA.

What do you mean you're over 2.00? Is there a situation you're asking about?

AquamosH
05-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
If you mean on infonet, it won't show up because they only show one semester's average at once. They don't even give an overall GPA.

Actually, they do. The GPA that shows up under your Winter semester marks is labelled "Fall/Winter GPA".

BebeAphrodite
05-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by AquamosH

Actually, they do. The GPA that shows up under your Winter semester marks is labelled "Fall/Winter GPA".

That's what I said previous...

because they only show one semester's average at once.

It also gives Spring/Summer in addition to Fall/Winter but I'm saying it won't give you an overall GPA of every course that you've taken.

V6-BoI
05-12-2004, 12:49 PM
what do u mean they don't include your spring/summer classes in your second year GPA?

When I went into the Student Advisor room (209) they explained to me how they calculate the average when they do the yearly review. She pulled up my file to calculate this past year's GPA and for this year (ending Winter 2004) she pulled up Spring 03/Summer 03/Fall 04 and Winter 04 to calculate it.

What do you mean you're over 2.00? Is there a situation you're asking about?

Oh ok I didn't know it only shows one semester's average at once on infonet. I thought they put your yearly average on infonet and not just fall/winter.
And yeah for the 2.00 I had to get above 2.00 or else I'd be on prohbation, and I'd have to retake my one D class. But since I'm above a 2.00 I am ok... phew. But yeah, thanks for the info.

Skyline_Addict
06-03-2004, 07:44 AM
finally i get it.
so spring/summer does count for gpa and not just credit.

gkAeris
06-03-2004, 12:48 PM
i went to the student advisors for haskayne!

and spring and summer classes DO NOT COUNT FOR your last winter/fall GPA they will give you the credit for taking the class but the mark will not be included for last sems overall gpa if you are intrested in trying to get into a FAC they won't count your spring/summer GPA but you will get the credit for the class...

do i make sense?? hehe

kiwi
06-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

and spring and summer classes DO NOT COUNT FOR your last winter/fall GPA they will give you the credit for taking the class but the mark will not be included for last sems overall gpa if you are intrested in trying to get into a FAC they won't count your spring/summer GPA but you will get the credit for the class...

do i make sense?? hehe

It's different for Haskayne students! I'm a science major & they counted my spring/summer courses to get into the fac...

BebeAphrodite
06-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

do i make sense?? hehe

Originally posted by kiwi

It's different for Haskayne students! I'm a science major & they counted my spring/summer courses to get into the fac...

It should be the same for all students.

Gail is saying what I said about GPA but wording it differently. She means that if you're taking Spring/Summer04 (RIGHT NOW) they will not count towards your Fall/Winter 04-03 marks (previous marks). Spring/Summer04 will count towards your Fall/Winter 04/05 marks.

kiwi
06-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kiwi
Spring/Summer courses count towards your next Fall/Winter

& yes, they are also calculated into your overall GPA... check the Degree Navigator & you'll see how they do it.

It should be the same for all students.

Gail is saying what I said about GPA but wording it differently. She means that if you're taking Spring/Summer04 (RIGHT NOW) they will not count towards your Fall/Winter 04-03 marks (previous marks). Spring/Summer04 will count towards your Fall/Winter 04/05 marks.

Yes, I know, that's what I said a long time ago. Is everyone clear now?

bommie_1
06-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Spring classes goes towards your previous year's GPA
Summer classes goes towards your next year's GPA

The actual academic school year starts on July 1st.

Spring classes do not count towards transfer GPA but do count towards transfer credits
Summer classes also do not count towards transfer GPA but also count towards transfer credits

To clarify let's say you're trying to transfer from the faculty of Engineering to the Faculty of Business (Like hell you would but it's just an example) they will take the last 10 courses to calculate your transfer GPA. If you are taking spring and summer classes, they do not count towards your transfer GPA, HOWEVER, if you successfully complete your spring & summer classes, they will give you credit for those classes in the following year. Clear?

If you took 4 courses in Fall 2003 and 4 courses in Winter 2004 they will go to the PREVIOUS semester (ie, if you took 1 spring and 1 summer 2003 they'd take those two and if you didn't take any spring/summer classes, they'll take the two best marks from Winter 2003) and take two classes with the highest grade to calculate your transfer GPA.

bommie_1
06-10-2004, 10:19 AM
All things being said, going to talk to the dean of the faculty also allows some headroom. Sometimes they'll do things for you that they won't do for the general student body...so the best option is to go talk to the student advisors and dean of admissions for your desired faculty and see what they can do for you.

Be nice to them, cause they can really screw you over or help you out a lot.