PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sub recommendations

mik
05-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Ok guys, here are the numbers so to speak.

I need 1 subwoofer.
It must be able to handle 400-500rms
Single Voice Coil
Must hit hard
Price is a concern
and it must work well in a 2.0cuft ported enclosure

What do you recommend?

Thanks. :)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention 12"

BumpinTalon
05-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Single voice coil? Why? If your amp is only four-ohm stable, then get a 2-ohm dual voice coil sub. If you want a cost-effective sub, look into elemental designs K series on www.audiohole.com or you can wait for the new Kv2s, which look way nicer and sound way better, and ship July 1st. They only cost $140 right now, and will probably be the hardest hitting sub you can get for even twice as much money.

Single voice coil wise, I dunno what to recommend. Single voice coil Titanium 12?

mik
05-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey, well yeah thats true, dual 2ohm would be good as well. I say 4ohm because I run my amp bridged (which it will only do at 4ohm) since it makes the most power that way to run a single subwoofer.

Im interested in those you speak of. Ive never heard of them. Has anyone else heard these before?

Three different ones Ive found on my searches the last few hours were:

Audiobahn AW120T or AW121T

Cerwin Vega 124

What do you guys think of these?

Im also open to other suggestions.

This is to replace my poor infinity 1220 that blew tonight. I loved that sub, but theyre hard to come by now and are usually more expensive than the competition when you do, which make them not really worth the money for the performance. I like the older reference 1220s better than the newer 1230s. I sold my 1230. lol.

Thanks again. Sorry about the little rant. ;)

mik
05-07-2004, 11:55 PM
I forgot to ask, where will you be able to get the v2? Where did you see it/hear it if it hasnt shipped yet?
Thanks!

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
Single voice coil? Why? If your amp is only four-ohm stable, then get a 2-ohm dual voice coil sub. If you want a cost-effective sub, look into elemental designs K series on www.audiohole.com or you can wait for the new Kv2s, which look way nicer and sound way better, and ship July 1st. They only cost $140 right now, and will probably be the hardest hitting sub you can get for even twice as much money.

Single voice coil wise, I dunno what to recommend. Single voice coil Titanium 12?

Weapon_R
05-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Kicker CompVR - Loudest, cleanest sub in the price range and available locally.

BumpinTalon
05-08-2004, 02:40 PM
You can get elemental designs off their website http://www.edesignaudio.com/ and their Canadian supplier's site, http://www.genuinecanadianaudio.com/
They ship July 1st. I have heard a Kv1, and the Kv2 is supposed to be superior to a Kv1 in every regard (and I believe ed's words). They also come with a three year transferable warranty, and for $140 shipped they can't be beat.

porker39
05-08-2004, 08:27 PM
hey i wa looking at the ma audio subs kore series www.maaudio.com tgo there click on subwoofers then look at the kore series 10000 max 5000 rms mad awsome subs i dont care if u dont like ma audio b/c these subs r amazingg so go fuck urself !

Hash_man
05-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Xtant X-series sub :thumbsup: .. pretty awesome sub, 500W RMS, and 2000W peak. Really clean sound too. And 3yr warranty, so you have plenty of time to not worry about it blowing.

Also, the Focal Polyglass subs sound really nice, and are fairly inexpensive too.

BumpinTalon
05-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by porker39
hey i wa looking at the ma audio subs kore series www.maaudio.com tgo there click on subwoofers then look at the kore series 10000 max 5000 rms mad awsome subs i dont care if u dont like ma audio b/c these subs r amazingg so go fuck urself !

They suck, so so so bad. An elemental 15Av2 would sound better, louder and cost less. MA Audio sells themselves on their cosmetics. It is like Lanzar but overpriced.

djstefan
05-08-2004, 11:48 PM
I have 2 audiobahns in mine. Had them for about 3 years now and they still sound as good as when I bought them. I have them bridged down on a single channel at 1 ohm though. I have a stable 1 ohm amp.

Go dual voice coil. Single sux!

Phat_Tercel_YO!
05-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

They suck, so so so bad. An elemental 15Av2 would sound better, louder and cost less. MA Audio sells themselves on their cosmetics. It is like Lanzar but overpriced.

Have you heard or seen the new Kore series yet?
Have you compared the two in an A and B situation?
Or are you just running along the fact that MA has many lines of subs and because you're buddies cousin blew the lowest end of subs, that means the entire line must suck?

I've seen a few Ed's get stomped by much lesser of subs in all aspects, so perhaps maybe you should listen to a few more subs before you start bashing equipment you've never heard/seen and stop praising other equipment that has not even been released yet.

Weapon_R
05-09-2004, 05:11 AM
MA definately makes some good stuff, but not a whole lot. That goes for every subwoofer manufacturer though.

pinoyhero
05-09-2004, 09:24 AM
JL baby, JL

porker39
05-09-2004, 11:12 AM
jl w7 arnt the loudest subs. i dont no y everyone thinks that. there is a sub called maginton which is like $5000 for one but they pound louder then any sub.

BumpinTalon
05-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Porker you seem to buy into marketing real easy.I have never heard of a Maginton but it sounds dumb. For $5,000 I would take a bunch of SoloX 18s, or a bunch of Resonant MTs, or Digital Designs, or Eclipse Titanium Pros.
My buddy's cousin didn't blow MA's cheapest sub but my friend blew MA's midrange sub, and even before it blew it sounded like shit and was not loud at all. It looked cool, at least. Those Kores are pure SPL subs, are not single voice coil, and are made for one-note loud bass. They don't set many records either.

Phat_tercel let's see these "lesser in every aspect" subs that beat eD, cuz what I understand is that if a sub is lesser in every aspect it is a worse sub.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
05-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Okay, first of all, the subs are priced less.

They can outperform higher priced subs in many areas.

Secondly, I can type away here like a keyboard commando for hours on end, but I'd prefer not to. If you'd like to see some subs that are dirt cheap and can outperfrom many other expensive subs,then PM me and we can talk about it.

Sorry for being rude in the previous post... but I'm a little sick of seeing people play the name game and bash a perfectly good product while promoting another product that has not even been released yet.

I have heard many good things about Pyramid subs from some of the local high school kids, although I haven't heard them yet, ifd I claimed they were awesome, would that tempt you to buy them up at all?

Hash_man
05-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Go dual voice coil. Single sux!

A common thing for most people to say, and I disagree. If you have a 2 channel amp already, and only want the one sub, then go for a single 4ohm voice coil for sure.

mik
05-09-2004, 10:52 PM
I didnt mean for this to turn into a big bashing thread I just wanted some recommendations. It looks like im going to get a eD Kv2 or Ov2. Dual 2ohm voice coil so it leaves options in the future to expand to different subwoofer configurations and other amps with greater flexability. For the money they look like a good choice.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.