PDA

View Full Version : architecture?

Leekiwwi
05-08-2004, 11:38 PM
just wondering, how is the job market for architectures fresh out of school?
does anyone know?

Gspotracer
05-09-2004, 03:42 AM
I'm an architechtual Tech, there is demand for architects as well as tchnologists all over Calgary right now, the market is booming

civicguy2002
05-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I am also an Architectural Tech. there is a huge market for this right now. Also it depends on what you want to do, I am in the housing side of things and there is lots there and can only imagine how many positions there are in the commercial side of things. I took the course at SAIT, and there is so much opprotunity from this, also you can go the university route, but this is more if you want to be in the commercial side.

pm me if you want to ask anymore questions.

peace
Steve

Hash_man
05-09-2004, 07:50 PM
I was thinking of going in to that program at SAIT, but I always wanted to know, what architectural "techs' do? do they do any of the actual design work themselves?

88CRX
05-09-2004, 08:23 PM
I just graduated from the arch tech program at sait and its alright i guess.... i had a job lined up before i was even done school :thumbsup: and it seems that everyone that was looking for a job got one.

And as a tech.... you dont really get into the design side.... the "architect" tells you what to draw basicly. This however, is only most of the time.... Steve here scored a sweet design job, lucky bastard :D

civicguy2002
05-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
I was thinking of going in to that program at SAIT, but I always wanted to know, what architectural "techs' do? do they do any of the actual design work themselves?

At my work the boss meets with the home owner and sketches out an idea of what they want to floor plan to look like, then I get the sketches and make the floor plans work. So I get to have a bit of say in what should happen because the sketches someitmes do not work. As for the exterior of the house I usually get to come up with the initial idea and go with it, if the home owner doesnt like it then the boss steps in and says lets go another way. So ya I do get to have alot of design influence in what happens but it really depends on where you are working.

Steve

ole dsm
05-11-2004, 10:05 PM
i deal with architect's and i think that there is only a small % that really know what they are doing, i think that a lot of them B/S there way threw .

the worst one is the head guy for TARJAN group that guy is so stupid its funny.

and another one i will even name his name K.Deller
another moron!

but hey i'm just the guy that reads the plans and builds the homes( custom homes)

a good arhitect is worth there wieght in gold thow

serusnak
05-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Is the course generally hard (ie lots of mathemetics or whatever)? I have been thinking about getting into something like that because I have had absolutely no luck finding a job in the autobody field (I guess they don't want to hire a measly first year apprentice or the industry is really that slow.) I would hate to have taken the course then have a hard time finding a job again, as I took the autobody course at sait with no frickin luck. Grr.

civicguy2002
05-13-2004, 07:40 AM
I guess it really depends on what you consider hard math. You do take a few structures classes that deal with loads on buildings, that involves some pretty difficult calculations. But generally speaking the math involved is pretty basic, basically if you can add feet and inches you are pretty good.

:thumbsup:
Steve

serusnak
05-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Ok, what kind of classes did you have under your belt when you applied?

I only have math 30 applied and as for science, I only took bio 30, my grades are okay, I would upgrade if I need to. Would it be better if I took something else like chem/physics or upgraded to math 30 pure? Yeah, I can add feet and inches all right :)

civicguy2002
05-13-2004, 08:31 AM
I had graduated before that pure and applied crap came along, so I had graduated with Math 30, Physics 30, Chem 30, with average to good grades, your best bet would be to grab a SAIT calender and find out what there requirements are for the course as of right now. I mean I started the course 4 years ago. It is a hard course to get into because there are so many people that apply, what I found as I watched people trying to get in was that if the first time you apply you get turned down, take the Pre Careers course that SAIT offers, basically it is upgrading, after that everyone that had applied before ended up getting in. SAIT looks good apon that course cause it shows that you really want to get into the course, plus while taking Pre Careers you cna knock off some of the classes that you would have to take during the cours. I personally didnt have to take Pre Careers but I had a few buddies who had to take it.

steve:)

/////AMG
05-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Where do you all work?

izzoblitzo
05-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Im an Architectural Admin for a local condominium developer. We get all the basic plans and design from our architect, and I take those plans and modify them for our use.

I get to sit and do a one on one with the customer to see what his requirements are for his unit and what materials he'd like to use, or designs he wants with the materials used in his unit yada yada.. but the only thing is, I gotta do the price out too.. like figure out how much everything cost, and add an overhead on it and stuff like that. In many cases, I design them a custom unit, and do a site walkthrough with the guy before we build it.

One of the weirdest things I've seen yet is some dude wanted to build a shower big enough for him and his wife to shower in.. and they were a pretty big couple, so the shower was rather big.. hahaha:D

I too took the AT course at Sait, graduated in 2002. Pretty easy classes as long as you stay on top of things.. the only teachers I didnt like was MrHead and Mr.Mombray

civicguy2002
05-13-2004, 11:26 AM
I work for Knightsbridge Homes. Check out our website: www.knightsbridgehomes.com. We build some really nice houses.

Leekiwwi
05-14-2004, 12:17 AM
where can u find lots where u can build houses like those on ur site?
how much does it cost?

civicguy2002
05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Personally our company has lots in Elbow Valley and Sterling Springs at the moment. It is pretty hard to find lots that you can build custom houses on and when you do they are very expensive, as far as I know our lots run anywhere from $125 000 up to having some lots in Elbow Valley for about
$400 000. Then for our company our houses usually come in around $600 000 and up depending on what you want to do.

serusnak
05-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Oh yeah, I've seen those houses, they're fucking huge and really nice. I think a house had its own moat, and had a bridge over it to get to the front door. Very nice!

Leekiwwi
05-14-2004, 10:32 AM
thats krayzy!!!

ole dsm
05-19-2004, 07:30 PM
this is who we work for
http://www.maillothomes.com/

thats the average size house but we do some big and some small

have u ever heard of a guy named Robert Sartur? ceo of forzani group
we built his house between calgay and okotoks can u say cha ching?
$15,000.00 front door
over $80,000 for the windows triple pain(in the ass)
walk out basement on a flat lot........cha ching

3g4me
05-20-2004, 11:26 AM
I work abugov kaspar architecture, as Architectural Tech.
www.abugovkaspar.com

car
05-22-2004, 12:49 PM
u need cad
its better to go for a bigger firm so your job is more secure, but of course more old dudes telling u what to do all the time

88CRX
05-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
I work abugov kaspar architecture, as Architectural Tech.
www.abugovkaspar.com

cool :thumbsup: friend of my parents is friends with them... if that makes any sence. :dunno: cool guys.... did that wicked house in pump hill :drool:

3g4me
05-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

cool :thumbsup: friend of my parents is friends with them... if that makes any sence. :dunno: cool guys.... did that wicked house in pump hill :drool:

Sweet. :D That house is the shit.:drool:

Nav13
02-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Iam bringing this thread back from the dead, because I dont see the point in starting a brand new thread. Well Im thinking about going into the design industry. I took design studies in grades 10 and 11. Right now I am an unclassified student at uofc and well I gotta make my mind up on what to do. Has anyone on here taking the arcitectural route through the university, I notice alot of you have done it through sait. I was wondering what the main differences are. From what Ive read on the UofC site, it seems they offer a masters and phd program only, I cant find anything on a undergrad program if one even exists. So if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could elabourate on how hard or easy it was for you to find your job, major stresses from the job, avg salaries to be expected, and any other things you would like to add.

/////AMG
02-03-2005, 03:42 AM
I'm at uni, but not UofC. It takes 6/7 years alone just to go with the UNI, and you dont get any apprentice experiance. You basically do full 6/7 yearso f scholl thats all. I

t could be worth it in the end but I doubt it (IMO). I'm doing Architectur ein uni. It'll take me 7/8 years but I'll get atleast 2/3 years apprentice and work experiance.
And while you're working for a comapny during those 2/3 they could offer you a job as soon as your out of school. Thats a bnus.

Nav13
02-04-2005, 01:13 AM
^^^ Yea I was reading some more on the uofc site. I think they do only offer a masters. In order to get in you need a degree, preferably a minor in architecture. They say it takes 6 years, so its probably different then in England.
edit: just read your post again, they are actually similar :) not different :rolleyes:

flipfinesse
02-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Just out of curiosity,. What salary range should a Junior Design Technician, expect to get.... with no experience???

I'm thinking $30,000/yr to $40,000/yr ?????

/////AMG
02-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Nav13
^^^ Yea I was reading some more on the uofc site. I think they do only offer a masters. In order to get in you need a degree, preferably a minor in architecture. They say it takes 6 years, so its probably different then in England.
edit: just read your post again, they are actually similar :) not different :rolleyes:

Uhhh, yea because you know which uni, course I'm in and what they offer compared to UofC? :rolleyes:

They are not similar, no matter what you have to do a minor anyway for a masters, personally UofC sucks at architecture.
If I was in Calgary I would have gone to SAIT, half the time yet almost the same without a masters.

I worked at Stantec for a few months and almost everoyne there took their course at SAIT. Actually they would make fun of the people who went to uni as a joke. :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Nav13
02-04-2005, 01:56 PM
^^^ I was refering to the length of time, not the program itself.

/////AMG
02-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh yea, sorry. Yea in the end they are the same, but you don't get any "work experiance" from UofC... or not as much. as I said more school time with UofC.

Nav13
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Yea no worries. I guess I will apply at sait and if I get in will really consider it, and if not Ill just stick to my original plan of going into geophysics. Thanks for all the help.

jtsimaras
04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I work for the City of Calgary in the planning department. Yes I do have my A Tech Diploma from SAIT. Not a bad place get a pention and all. Get a day off every Second week and starting positions pay around $23 to $30/hr. Oh ya overtime is double pay.

ken-gsr
04-30-2005, 04:38 PM
i work with 88crx. its awesome if you like multi family. we basically take what the architect gives us, then we make it work.
well i do, i dont know about 88crx
ah ha
j/k