PDA

View Full Version : Screwed for insurance

joseph
05-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Anyone know of any good insurance companies. I'm 19, no accidents no tickets and have been on my parents for the last three years. If I go with their company the insurance is too high. Second choice is a gsx-r 600 but then i risk getting kicked outa the house. Any suggestions. :dunno:

hjr
05-09-2004, 02:22 AM
what is your insurance at now? if its around 2 grand then your SOL cause thats the going rate

joseph
05-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Actually 2 grand would be perfect. To get a third car on my parents insurance they quoted me over 4 grand. And thats on my parents insurance!!:eek::thumbsdow

Zero102
05-09-2004, 10:29 AM
That's rough, I'm 19 as well, 3 not-at-fault's, no tickets or at fault's, with all but collision coverage, for $3600/year, my own policy.
When I was under my parents, it was $3000 a year.

autobodygal
05-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Man that sucks! I live in Sask, and insurance here is way cheaper than in AB. You don't get dinged for age, only driving record. The worse your driving record the higher the insurance, the better the driving record, cheaper the insurance.

joseph
05-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Yah i wish. But this is Alberta and insurance here sucks. So does anyone know of any good insurance companies? Or maybe i'll try and get my folks to move to some other province:rolleyes: Yah not likely :D

cman
05-09-2004, 12:47 PM
im 17, own car and my own insurance. im around $4000 a year.
no tickets accidents or anything.

finboy
05-09-2004, 01:16 PM
4020/year here.

1 ticket, 1 at fault accident, it was 2868 before the accident :thumbsdow

joseph
05-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Well if I can't find a good insurance rate this week crotch rocket here I come. I'm gonna need some prayer, lucky charms and crossed fingers ;)

Parents: :guns: Me: :dunno:

quiksilver
05-09-2004, 01:46 PM
got to the yellow pages and look for TIG (the insurance guys) they found cheap insurance for me.

joseph
05-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Jynx
05-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by cman
im 17, own car and my own insurance. im around $4000 a year.
no tickets accidents or anything.
whut company are u with?

Owned 2
05-09-2004, 10:44 PM
YO! You guys are all taking the shaft!!! Im 17, bought my own car, pay my own insurance, got WAYYY lower rates than all of you!

Anyways, for PLPD im paying 175$ / month. Which equals out to 2100$ / year. If I wanted full coverage it would be 270$ / month which would be 3240$ / year.

This is with State Farm, they are the best for young drivers.

I get a reduced rate because of the following:
1) Took drivers training = 45% off
2) Good Student = 15% off

cman
05-09-2004, 10:57 PM
im with dyck insurance, seemed the cheapest out of all the ones i called.
and i never got a hold of state farm, so based on owned2's comments check them out it sounds like.

Weapon_R
05-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Keep looking guys, you'll find some cheap insurance eventually. I have a worse record than all of you and pay less than most of you. Try calling Zurich or deal with a broker. If you can, go through Meloche Mennox

lam-boy
05-09-2004, 11:09 PM
1800 for me HAhaha.

Kor
05-10-2004, 07:26 AM
I got the best insurance through Meloche Monnex (TD) but I was a couple years older.

Tell them that you don't plan to drive very far, like less than 10K in the next year. How can you be expected to accurately predict the future? :D

Also take a safe driving course, get some kinda certificate then send them that. If you have any points on your license you can also get them reduced with a once a year driving course.

Also if you have anti-theft measures in your car and tell them, you can get the rate reduced. Even using "the club" works for some insurance companies. Or buy a security system if you need to.

There is some kinda process whereby all the windows in the car get the VIN number etched onto them. This means theives need to replace all the glass in order to resell the car... I guess its a good deterrent, and almost all companies will give you money off if your glass has this done. My friends new subaru had it done by the dealership.

And if you have good grades it will help.

Finally, once you get the best quote, call somewhere else and tell them that the other guy is gonna give it to you cheaper. If possible, call your parents company and try to get them to match the price. Why? Because sometimes you also get a discount if your family has multiple insurance policies at one company... family discount or whatnot.

Edit: Although meloche monnex is cheap, they are real bastards if you get speeding tickets. They will threaten to cancel (and maybe even do it). If you have a policy cancelled by someone, then later it is twice as hard to get reinsured at another company...

Xpnsve
05-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by joseph
Anyone know of any good insurance companies. I'm 19, no accidents no tickets and have been on my parents for the last three years. If I go with their company the insurance is too high. Second choice is a gsx-r 600 but then i risk getting kicked outa the house. Any suggestions. :dunno:

If you want to do something about high insurance, go to www.apaip.com, print off some petition pages, get them signed and mail them back.

Otherwise, bend over rover. :rofl:

Gonthro
05-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Xpnsve

If you want to do something about high insurance, go to www.apaip.com, print off some petition pages, get them signed and mail them back.

Otherwise, bend over rover. :rofl:

that wont do fuck all either

Jynx
05-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Kor

Tell them that you don't plan to drive very far, like less than 10K in the next year. How can you be expected to accurately predict the future? :D

yea but then what happens when u get into a reck 30xxx kmz later and they say uve trippled ure expeccted km,so therefore ure insurance is null and void.!

insurance companies are dikz!

joseph
05-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna try for State Farm or TD if i can get under 3 grand i'll be happy. Plus yah i forgot to mention I do have Drivers Ed and I'm turning 20 pretty quick so that should help a bit.

93PGT
05-10-2004, 10:45 PM
$3100/year for my '93 Probe GT on my own insurance. No accidents/tickets.