PDA

View Full Version : 2 subs to mono amp with one channel??

slaya15
05-09-2004, 12:13 PM
I know most mono amps have 2 channels on the outside to make it easier to hook up 2 subs, but how do you hook up 2 subs to a mono amp with only one channel on the outside? do you wire the subs together as one, if so how?

slaya15
05-09-2004, 12:18 PM
and if i can wire 2 subs to a mono amp with one channel, if my subs are set to 1 ohm and the amp is 1 ohm stable then is it still safe to wire 2 subs to do 1 ohm on a mono amp with one channel

Weapon_R
05-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Take both positive wires of the subs and wire em together, do the same with the negative, and install them into the amp.

spike98
05-09-2004, 04:24 PM
What type of subs and what amp.

If your sub is 1ohm then i am assuming you mean it is a 2ohm DVC sub wired in parallel. So if you were to wire them parallel to the amp that would give you a 0.5 ohm load and will likely make your amp go into protection.

slaya15
05-09-2004, 05:26 PM
my subs are dual 4 ohm, i was thinkin goin with the jl 500/1 or some 2 channel or mono amp that can do 1 ohm, im not sure what to get.

spike98
05-09-2004, 07:09 PM
With the 500/1 you can't really go wrong. VERY nice amp. The downside (ONLY!) is the price. I would first take into consideration how much you want to spend. You can wire you subs into a 1ohm or 4ohm total load.

Many amps will not put out full power at 4ohm so i would choose the 1ohm load. Like you already were thinking.

With that into consideration you have quite a few options.

For your application i would go with a class D amp. It will offer less power consumption and affordablilty.

Not how much do you want to spend. Also what kind of subs are they?

djstefan
05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
I am running 2 audiobahns 12"s on a single channel class D 3000 watt Boss amp at 1 ohm.

You take on each sub the dual voice coil and plug + to + and - to -. Then you take that which you have 2 ohms on each sub now and do it again between the 2 subs. + to + and.... That will give you 1 ohm. You have to watch out as the less ohms you have, the more power consumption you have. Make sure you have a good battery and tough wiring.

I have some awesome 4G wiring for 1.50 a foot. I bought a whole 250 feet of it and still have about 100 feet left. The wire has 1666 little 36G wires inside for the best conduction ever.

spike98
05-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by djstefan
I am running 2 audiobahns 12"s on a single channel class D 3000 watt Boss amp at 1 ohm.

You take on each sub the dual voice coil and plug + to + and - to -. Then you take that which you have 2 ohms on each sub now and do it again between the 2 subs. + to + and.... That will give you 1 ohm. You have to watch out as the less ohms you have, the more power consumption you have. Make sure you have a good battery and tough wiring.

I have some awesome 4G wiring for 1.50 a foot. I bought a whole 250 feet of it and still have about 100 feet left. The wire has 1666 little 36G wires inside for the best conduction ever.

GO put you shameless for sale plug into the market place forum. We have already disscussed how to wire the subs and what resistance would suit him more.

As for some of your comments i would have to call BS. There are many different types of amps. If have seen amps that consume different amprage than other amps at the same load. I have also seen x brand amp put out more power at a given amprage than brand y at the same amprage.

As for the wire comment i am not even going there.

djstefan
05-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Take a chill pill. Or smoke a dubie. You need either one of those.

An amp will consume more if running at 1 ohm than 4 ohm. I have installed systems for long enough to know. Also, you will get a better sound if running 4 ohm instead of 1.

As for the wire for sale, damn, I was offering it as a favor. You really think I want to make 15$ for a 10 foot wire?! Damn, Im gonna get rich really fast I tell you that! I got all my toys selling 4 G wire by the foot! :bigpimp:

slaya15
05-10-2004, 09:59 AM
screw it im goin with the jl 500/1 its alot of dough but its worth it and ill sell in a year if i dont use it enough or sumthing, im getting installed wednesday CANT WAIT:D :D :D :D :nut: :nut: :nut:

EarthWake_Audio
05-15-2004, 06:46 PM
good choice...
the JL 500/1 has "regulated power" which means:
-It will make a minimum of 500 watts rms @6,4,2,1.5 ohms.
-It will also make a minimum of 500 watts from 12.1volts-14.7volts
regulated power is key these days...
with the subs you are running, you can wire them to a 4 ohm load and make just as much power as it would @ 1 ohm...but a quarter of the heat! Besides the JL "slash" series is rated for
1.5 ohms...and is not recomended to run at 1 ohm...(but it can run at 1 ohm)