PDA

View Full Version : Blow off valve noise

ricebowl
05-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I have a 1.8T Passat and my friend refuses to belive that it's turbocharged because he doesn't hear that noise the blow off valve is suppose to make. I do find it strange, though, that my car doesn't make that cool *pssst pssst* noise. Is it that only supercharged cars make that noise, or is it just because of those damn Germans? Just kidding, haha.

EK 2.0
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ricebowl
I have a 1.8T Passat and my friend refuses to belive that it's turbocharged because he doesn't hear that noise the blow off valve is suppose to make. I do find it strange, though, that my car doesn't make that cool *pssst pssst* noise. Is it that only supercharged cars make that noise, or is it just because of those damn Germans? Just kidding, haha.

It is muffled because the vented air, its just simply recirulated back into the intake stream...If he doesn't believe that its turbocharged then show him the engine you putz...

Redlyne_mr2
05-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

It is muffled because the vented air, its just simply recirulated back into the intake stream...If he doesn't believe that its turbocharged then show him the engine you putz... :banghead: :rofl:

Strider
05-09-2004, 06:14 PM

go throw some rice at your friend and tell him he watches too much FnF

redec
05-09-2004, 06:16 PM
most (if not all) stock turbo-charged cars will not have the groovy 'pshhhhhhhht' sound because altho they still perform the venting, they just 'vent' the air directly back into the intake, on the other side of the turbo. This allows them to use a MAF to measure the air going into the engine (cheaper). You're probably thinking 'gee...I could just make it vent out instead of to the intake and I'll get the psht noise'....you can do this but be aware you're venting measured air....so the fuel computer thinks that air is going into the engine and it will supply the proper amount of fuel for that amount of air. The result of this will be your car running super-rich right when you get the bov sound...on some cars this isn't noticable, on others it will cause you to stall.

hjr
05-09-2004, 06:56 PM
i refuse to believe that this is serious. Granted you cant really see the turbo on your 1.8t, but tell him he is an idiot and leave it at that. if he thinks VW is scamming millions with a non-turbo turbo charged car, let him go on sounding like a red-neck.

Boosted_TL
05-09-2004, 06:59 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Is this guy for real ??

LOL

ricebowl
05-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Well, he has never seen the car. I offered him to have a look under the hood, but he's "been busy." So yeah, he believes that my car isn't turbo just because it doesn't make that *psss* sound. Thanks for the replies.

ZorroAMG
05-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Your friend sounds like he'd be outsmarted by a bag of Doritos. Does he not have the internet? Can he not go to a VW site and READ the specs of the 1.8L that is in your car? I'd seriously reconsider hanging out with people like that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sleeper
05-09-2004, 10:13 PM
2 funny :rofl: :rofl:

SwitchBlade
05-10-2004, 02:11 AM
HAha almost as bad as the people who came into my work about to throw out their K&N airfilters and trying to tell me that they arent reusable.:rofl:

Kor
05-10-2004, 07:06 AM
If you really want the noise, you can get it by replacing the airbox with a cai... sound will echo in the pipe rather than being muffled.

Xpnsve
05-10-2004, 08:53 AM
:banghead: :banghead:

:whocares:

GTS Jeff
05-11-2004, 07:31 AM
haha ure a cock for trying so hard to prove some loser wrong on such a stupid issue.

ps. if u listen hard, u can hear a really quiet pssshhh when u let off hard while the turbo is really spooled.

heavyD
05-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Take off the pipe between your recirculation valve and intake pipe. Take your buddy for a ride. Floor it in second gear and let off the gas. You will hear some sort of "woosh noise" and your car will probably stutter or stall.

Now you have proof for your mentally challenged buddy that you have a turbo and also learned for yourself that venting is bad.:rolleyes:

ricebowl
05-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
haha ure a cock for trying so hard to prove some loser wrong on such a stupid issue.

ps. if u listen hard, u can hear a really quiet pssshhh when u let off hard while the turbo is really spooled.

Im not trying to prove anything, douche bag. I'm just wondering why it doesnt make that sound. That's all.

EK 2.0
05-11-2004, 03:31 PM

Im not trying to prove anything, douche bag. I'm just wondering why it doesnt make that sound. That's all.

Looked to us like you were trying to PROVE your friend wrong man...