PDA

View Full Version : B16 DOHC Vtec - worth it?

Weapon_R
10-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Is this the SIR engine?

My friend bought a 1990 integra and was taking it to a paint shop because it looks like shit. I made sure I told him that he got ripped off with the price, and then he goes "it's not really as shitty as it looks"

Pops the hood and DOHC VTEC is there, turns out to be a b16 dohc vtec engine.

What are these engines worth (if I were to buy it from him), would it be worth putting it into a 3rd gen integra, and what else would be needed to install?

cocoabrova
10-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Yes, for Canada the B16A is the Civic Si-R engine. As for swapping it into a DC2, you'd prolly be ALOT quicker, and a lot happier if you go turbo. For better info on this, PM legendboy-he's doing one right now:clap: :werd:

CRXguy
10-15-2002, 08:44 PM
90-93 Integra's have cable tranny's so you'd have to convert yours to cable. HAsport has a hydro to cable conversion.

What year is YOUR Integra? I'm not sure how you would wire it to OBD-1 if your car is OBD-2. I've never seen a 1st gen B16 in a DC Integra before.

If you don't want it and he wants to sell it, I'll buy it!:D

cocoabrova
10-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
If you don't want it and he wants to sell it, I'll buy it!:D Better save your money to make your new car faster:devil: :rofl:

Weapon_R
10-15-2002, 09:04 PM
I also have a hydro tranny.

I know its only 18 HP more, and less torque than a b18b, so will there really be any really noticable difference?

If I don't go with it, i'll let you know CRXguy.

5.9 R/T
10-15-2002, 09:51 PM
I would say fuck it. Spend the money and get a H22 or 23. For the love of god why would you want to LOSE displacement?

Weapon_R
10-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I would say fuck it. Spend the money and get a H22 or 23. For the love of god why would you want to LOSE displacement?

Thx for the post - that is exactly why I posted :thumbsup: To get everyone knowledgable on the subject to give their opinion.

SpoonEK9@STRD
10-15-2002, 10:15 PM
are you sure the integra isnt a GSR?

B17?

CRXguy
10-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9
are you sure the integra isnt a GSR?

B17?

That was available only in 92-93, right? His buddy's car is a '90, no VTEC then.

Weapon R: Why not save up and get a B18C1 or C5? Or how about a turbo on your stock motor?

B18B + turbo = :eek:

Weapon_R
10-15-2002, 11:17 PM
It is a swap, im entirely positive of that. 1990 didn't have the b17a.

I might go that route, but I think I can get this engine for very cheap, thats the reason why I was contemplating it.

LaughingTiger
10-15-2002, 11:25 PM
Try Yoko engines, they have lots of engines for cheap...

My friend did a B16 swap on his 90 Integra...cost him only 3K

Go w/ a B18 ......:D Then turbo charge it....:burnout:

boi-alien
10-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

he wouldn't want a heavy h22 cause it'll mess up the handling characteristics of the car. if you're going all out drag then, but all means stuff the biggest engine u can shoehorn in there. but if you plan on doing road racing or autoX or anything that requires your car to be nimble i would advise against it

Ekliptix
10-16-2002, 12:49 AM
w/ a "stock" B16, the Teg won't be any faster.

Ben
10-16-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by crxboi

he wouldn't want a heavy h22 cause it'll mess up the handling characteristics of the car. if you're going all out drag then, but all means stuff the biggest engine u can shoehorn in there. but if you plan on doing road racing or autoX or anything that requires your car to be nimble i would advise against it

Bah!

There are tons of people who do VR6 Swaps into MY CAR! Just beef up the suspension!

the weigh difference wouldn't be THAT bad that you couldn't counter it with good coilovers...

H22A!

shadowz
10-16-2002, 01:59 AM
The H22a weighs in at around 325lbs, I forget how much an LS motor weighs but its not that much lighter, but as for putting a B16 into your DC2 :waste of money, I would either save for a GSR or TYPE R motor if youre worried about handling and such from a H series motor, as ELIPTIX said it would make no difference but you would have VTEC but no actual power gain

B17a
10-16-2002, 08:11 AM

That was available only in 92-93, right? His buddy's car is a '90, no VTEC then.

Correct!

Ferio_vti
10-16-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It is a swap, im entirely positive of that. 1990 didn't have the b17a.

I might go that route, but I think I can get this engine for very cheap, thats the reason why I was contemplating it.

Have any pics??

I'll take your B16 off your hands. I could use it in my Civic.

GTS Jeff
10-16-2002, 10:17 AM
heh, I'll buy the B16. I'll be needing one soon :)

Weapon_R
10-16-2002, 11:21 AM
I'll let you all know if the engine goes for sale - I was going to get him a b18a and a few dollars for the b16a, but i'll let u know how much he wants outright if thats the way he wants to go.

5.9 R/T
10-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by crxboi

The weight difference between the 1.8 currently in the car and a H22 or 23 would be around 50-75 pounds, depending on accesories. Also the H22 sits lower in an integra, improving the Cg. If left with the stock suspension, I'd be willing to bet that the H22 equiped teg would smoke a B18 around pilons or the track.

If you can get this motor for really cheap then get it. Once you have it bump up the price and turn around and sell it to Jeff Type R.

Dope Dealer
10-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

CRX? :thumbsup:

CRXguy
10-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

shut up bitch.....i already got first dibs!!:poosie:

GTS Jeff
10-16-2002, 03:31 PM

shut up bitch.....i already got first dibs!!:poosie: fine...:(

id just settle for having a crx :dunno:

jaylo
10-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is this the SIR engine?

My friend bought a 1990 integra and was taking it to a paint shop because it looks like shit. I made sure I told him that he got ripped off with the price, and then he goes "it's not really as shitty as it looks"

Pops the hood and DOHC VTEC is there, turns out to be a b16 dohc vtec engine.

What are these engines worth (if I were to buy it from him), would it be worth putting it into a 3rd gen integra, and what else would be needed to install?

Yes it came from 99-00 civic si-r's 93-97 delsol vtecs
It would be around 2500-3K for the whole engine and install

It's okay if you do the swap but imo I would rather go forced induction if u have the need for more hp. But it pays to have an FI in your car. If you are looking for reliability and vtec, I would go for the b16...

Sykes
10-16-2002, 08:43 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with your car. That's the thing with Honda's.... you can go so many routes.

If you plan on FI, sticking with your B18B isn't a bad idea. If you want to go strictly NA, then consider VTEC or even build on your exsisting engine. Properly tuned, a NA B18B can out do alot of VTEC setups.

If you really want VTEC though, I would suggest looking into a B18C or even go with the H22A (it's not all that much heavier...)

HTH :)