PDA

View Full Version : Anybody majoring in Marketing?

Chim
05-09-2004, 09:07 PM
I want to major in marketing, but I doubt the job market out there for someone in a degree in marketing is very good (with the exception of people with a 4.0 GPA, not me!)

Anyways, some people have recommended I minor/major in something like psychology or sociology along with a major in marketing. This does seem like a promising combination, can anybody confirm this recommendation?

The thing about this is that I'm not sure what kind of jobs you can get with just a degree in sociology or psychology. If the market for marketing majors is bad when I graduate, I want to rely on something else as a backup.

Gainsbarre
05-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Sounds like you haven't taken MKTG 317 yet. Just be warned that MKTG 317 is THE worst, most difficult/frustrating/subjective 317 course you'll have to take, by far:thumbsdow . Just a little heads up..make sure that you take it with at least two other people that you know, because the group project is hell. And when you do take the course, make sure you don't take it from Lynne Ricker...you can check out the following link to read a few comments (including mine) about her class.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=252374&sid=1416

Oh and don't do a minor in any subject...go for two dergees. It's only another four classes you'll have to take for the second degree. Minors only show up on your transcript and no mention of any minor is made on your parchment. With a joint degree, you'll at least have two different pieces of paper to show for all the work you've done.

thich
05-10-2004, 10:11 AM
I had lynne in fall 2003... sick... lol.
she raped us on the project AND the tests!

i'm a marketing major and i am finding it difficult to find a co-op placement right now and can see how frustrating it is b/c of the competition that we have. Marketing isn't so big in Calgary (yet) and requires that you definitely have hook-ups and a good network of contacts.

that's what i'll b doing next year: getting contacts lol.

sexualbanana
05-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah. I'm a mktg major too. It's tough no doubt.

I think part of the issue is that when you're doing marketing. You don't learn or require a unique skill set like you would in Finance, accounting or Engineering.

A lot of the things you learn are very common sensical, and people already know it.

So I think that is part of the reason getting a job in marketing is tough. Not too mention Calgary's market is based mostly on finance, account and PLM.

Chim
05-10-2004, 05:36 PM
How hard is it to do dual degree?
And sorry for the newbieness but whats PLM?

ShOwOfF
05-10-2004, 05:41 PM
plm = petroleum land management....thats where the real money's at.

Gainsbarre
05-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm doing a dual degree right now and it's a breeze :D . But you will have to spend an extra year at university or be like me and take a bunch of spring/summer courses each year.

PLM = Petroleum Land Management. It sounds interesting enough, but only "experienced industry people" teach the courses (not academics/professors)..that kind of steered me away from choosing PLM as my concentration. Plus I hear that each class consists of writing up ridiculously long 'contract agreements' and so on for term projects. It doesn't seem too bad though...

ShOwOfF
05-10-2004, 05:43 PM
edit - plm major's had the highest average salary of graduates in 2002..

sexualbanana
05-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by ShOwOfF
edit - plm major's had the highest average salary of graduates in 2002..

Wouldn't surprise me. Especially here in Alberta