PDA

View Full Version : Truffles

Kamen
05-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Where can one buy truffles and approx how much are they?
I know they cost big bucks, but I'm curious as to how they taste...seems like they can make almost any dish 'high quality'...or so it seems on Iron Chef :D

BebeAphrodite
05-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Truffles are very pungnant... but like all 'luxury ingredients' (such as fois gras) it's each to their own
ha ha ha
I watched a Truffles special.. truffle hunters find truffles around the size of a fist and they receive about 1800.. but I have no idea what currency that is. ha ha ha

thich
05-10-2004, 10:06 AM
i believe the currency they normally use is British pounds.
I watched a documentary on how british farmers used pigs to find truffles and even little dinky ones run upwards of 100 brit pounds. :eek:

PhenomSE
05-10-2004, 03:57 PM
They use dogs to find truffles...I watch food network everyday :thumbsup:

bunos
05-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Truffles are very tasty, I had salmon with truffle sauce once and it was amazing. You might want to check Sunterra market, a likely place to have them.

dj_rice
05-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Truffles are damn expensive...but actually they use dogs and pigs to find them and truffles if I can remember correctly from my cooking classes are only grown in certain regions in France, and truffles are actually a type of fungi aka mushroom...

And truffles can cost like $1000/pound

And lol...U cant just add truffles to any dish and make it taste good, u gotta use it correctly in certain applications such as sauces, shavings ontop of veggies or something...stuffed underneath the skin of chicken breasts to infuse its flavour into the meat lol

To find truffles...I'm not sure in Vancouver but try going to ur local gourmet supermarket..in Calgary I suggest Dibagios across from Churchill HS

iceburns288
05-10-2004, 08:34 PM
They can't use dogs anymore because dogs eat the truffles... :banghead: 3000 dollar meal for the dog lol.

Strider
05-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Truffles are damn expensive...but actually they use dogs and pigs to find them and truffles if I can remember correctly from my cooking classes are only grown in certain regions in France, and truffles are actually a type of fungi aka mushroom...

And truffles can cost like $1000/pound

And lol...U cant just add truffles to any dish and make it taste good, u gotta use it correctly in certain applications such as sauces, shavings ontop of veggies or something...stuffed underneath the skin of chicken breasts to infuse its flavour into the meat lol

To find truffles...I'm not sure in Vancouver but try going to ur local gourmet supermarket..in Calgary I suggest Dibagios across from Churchill HS

u mean debajis??? that place has been gone for 3-4 years dude... and the store that replaced it, Wraytons, went under a year ago

Sunterra is probably one of the most likely places to find it

sputnik
05-10-2004, 10:01 PM
they actually use pigs to snif (and dig) out truffles

Kamen
05-10-2004, 11:29 PM
I read that they use dogs instead because dogs will more readily trade their find for a treat and a pat; whereas pigs tend to devour anything and everything.

thich
05-10-2004, 11:39 PM
but pigs find things faster :)
it just takes more effort to restrain the piggy

ShOwOfF
05-11-2004, 01:35 AM
so what exactly are truffles? I always thought of truffles to be some sort of cupcake like desert, but i get the sense that i'm wrong.

Kamen
05-11-2004, 07:13 AM
They are a type of fungi that grow underground in close proximity to base of trees...google it up.

BebeAphrodite
05-11-2004, 12:24 PM
The documentary that I watched, they used dogs.... the dogs would receive a treat upon finding the truffles. From what people are saying on the thread, I'm guessing that they use both pigs and dogs.

Strider
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
The real question is, does it actually taste good? or is it one of those things people eat and "enjoy" just because it's rare and expensive?

It certainly doesn't sound too appetizing.

BebeAphrodite
05-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Umm... it depends how you cook it and what it's with. I'm enjoyed as well as disliked truffle dishes.
On the other hand, I find fois gras and caviar disgusting always ha ha ha other ppl love it. *shudder*

E36M3
05-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Fresh truffles are extremely hard to get a hold of. Black and white truffle both have different seasons, so you'll have to plan around that.

I cook with truffle oil, which you can get a really good tube of for about $100 cdn, which should last you a year at least. Truffle oil is indistinguishable (at least for me) from the real thing, and is way less expensive.

I haven't ever bought any in Calgary, but I'd recommend looking at small Italian groceries or other premium grocery stores. I can help you source some from California if you'd like.

Originally posted by Kamen
Where can one buy truffles and approx how much are they?
I know they cost big bucks, but I'm curious as to how they taste...seems like they can make almost any dish 'high quality'...or so it seems on Iron Chef :D

Kamen
05-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
I'm enjoyed as well as disliked truffle dishes.

You are are you? So does that make you a tasty dish or a disliked dish? :poosie:
hehe jks

Hmm..curious to knowthe flavour...but probably ntohing I can afford in the near future...this month I'm in student poverty mode...

izzoblitzo
05-11-2004, 02:46 PM
oh wut, I always thought truffles were like, chocolate you get at Purdy's. hahahaha...

all this trouble for a mushroom. *sigh* my girlfriend would hate this stuff (mushrooms).

but on a side note, I like escargot (snails!) hahaha

I dont like raw foods like sushi! california rolls is as far as I go!

BebeAphrodite
05-11-2004, 02:53 PM
oops, typo
ha ha ha

as for chocolate truffles.. they do exist as well..
he he he
so there's mushroom truffles and chocolate truffles..

-:cry:

hatetank
05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
What do they taste like?

- Like Oyster - but different.

RE: buying truffles:

Instead of buying truffles, go get some black truffle oil instead, goes a long way and gives you that same flavour.

If you are having trouble finding truffles go here:

www.dean-deluca.com

www.auxdelices.com

CKY
05-12-2004, 02:05 AM
i wonder if ever those pigs and dogs they use to find truflles eats the truffle right away, if i was a hunter i'd cut that pig up n roast it good

Kamen
05-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm sure that's happened many times...

PhenomSE
05-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Kamen
I'm sure that's happened many times...

Werd! :rofl: :D

shadowz
05-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I believe the chocolate truffle was named after the fungi truffle because it looks like it. You can find truffle oil at the Cook book company and the Italian center used to place orders for the fungi itself.