PDA

View Full Version : chev S-10 Diesel

stockEK
05-10-2004, 12:22 AM
A roomate of mine once had one of these trucks. I beleive it was a 1986 with a 2.8l diesel .

Does anyone here know anything about them - availability, reliablity ect...

Were there any similar types of trucks with small diesels?

Gonthro
05-10-2004, 08:27 AM
well if he had it then i can tell you with was not stock... someone must have swapped it in.

Xpnsve
05-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Thats a sweet truck

stockEK
05-10-2004, 09:36 AM
It was an OEM engine. It wasnt a common engine choice, and Im not sure how many were made, and what model years it was offered. There doesnt seem to be alot online, probably because this predates the internet...

Since this is diesel country, I thought someone might know something about it

stockEK
05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
well if he had it then i can tell you with was not stock... someone must have swapped it in.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/1477.shtml

Thats all I can find. It was a 2.2, not a 2.8 like I thought though.

mikedp
05-21-2004, 09:05 PM
stockEK, Actually I looked for one like that for years! The only one I have ever laid eyes on was on a dealers lot back in '86. The one I saw was a 1985 model. They are a very illusive target!
They were built from 1983-85 and came with an in-line 2.2L 4 cylinder(62 hp), 4 or 5 speed only. No power to speak of but great mpg's :) The engines were built by Isuzu Motors Limited. The integrity of these little diesels were without question.
Hope this helps, Mike

dieselweasle
07-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi, I realize that this thread was started a while ago but I registered so I could reply to this.
I currently have a 84 s-15 w/ this same 2.2l diesel, I've been searching for a year on info for it and and short of a full vintage seach info is very scarce but i'll pass on to you what I've found so far
>Hp figgures range from 58-62hp and 93ftlbs of torque(depending on year and sourse of info)
>est. mpg from 33 to 59mpg w/14"tires & 4spd (I would est. the latter as a full tank lasts me a few months)
>less than 1% of all s-10's, s-15's, jimmey's and blazers were fitted with a OE diesel which makes them fairly rare,
>also as they were only made for 3 years with a diesel and there is a trend for people swapping them out for 350's if you have one keep it intact.
> if you have a need for power toss in a T3 turbo from a Dodge 2.2l turbo, it will almost double the HP & torque
>the engines are almost bullit proof just remember to change the timming chain every 60,000 miles (diesel=interferance engine) and finally with the current price of gas, people (mostly construction contractors) have been scouring the planet for p/u's with diesels so even a piece of crap sells for a pretty good premeum
hope this helps, If you find any further info pls let me know :thumbsup:

T5_X
07-13-2004, 10:28 AM
The Ford ranger could also be had with a diesel from 83-85 and the mazda B2200, early 80s as well. The mazda engine did not even use a timing chain/belt, just gear driven cam! The only other small pickup sold in north america I can think of is the chev LUV which was the predecessor to the S10, should have the same 2.2 as the S10, cool little trucks
http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/Daniels80LawtonOK/images/02.jpg

mikedp
07-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Dieselweasel thanks for the info. The only way I happen to have my info is I have and original 1985 S-10 brochure :thumbsup: Oh by the way...if you decide to give your S-15 a new home, I'll take it off your hands :drool:

dieselweasle
07-19-2004, 02:10 PM
I'll be burried in that truck!

dieselweasle
07-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Actualy, its the best little truck I've ever had, wicked fuel economy 1625lbs pay load and if you press in the clutch and tap the gas it removes tailgaters of your ass! problem is it's gutless but I don't drive like a idiot anyways, and a turbo's getting installed in the future, it rattles like grandpa's old tracter and it's pretty hard to fill it up without some jerk off with a out of tune SUV wanting to talk my ear off about how much money I'm saving....... it gets anoying after a while.
the good thing is my wife is pretty impressed with how efficiant diesels are so she wants me to swap a Nissan diesel into her Pathfinder and that means getting an engine from a Torrino from Japan or Australia, I'll look around next time I'm there.
If I end up doing a vintige search on my s-15 diesel I'll try to pass on the info. but that might tale a while.

07-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
The Ford ranger could also be had with a diesel from 83-85 and the mazda B2200, early 80s as well. The mazda engine did not even use a timing chain/belt, just gear driven cam! The only other small pickup sold in north america I can think of is the chev LUV which was the predecessor to the S10, should have the same 2.2 as the S10, cool little trucks
http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/Daniels80LawtonOK/images/02.jpg

that is a sweet lookin truck!:drool:

mikedp
06-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by stockEK
A roomate of mine once had one of these trucks. I beleive it was a 1986 with a 2.8l diesel .

Does anyone here know anything about them - availability, reliablity ect...

Were there any similar types of trucks with small diesels?

Actually the S-10 Diesel 2.8 DOES EXIST! Too bad they dont produce them in the U.S. Check this out! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/634750
2.8 liter turbo diesel with intercooler(132 hp)

Go to Brazil and get a brand new one!