PDA

View Full Version : Need an exaust

Lennon
05-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Looking to get something for my Z31... and have no idea where to even start looking. Does anyone have any ideas where to get an aftermarket one? Nothing crazy... just. Simple.

GTS Jeff
05-11-2004, 06:59 AM
try these guys

http://www.google.ca/search?q=z31+exhaust&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

Lennon
05-11-2004, 07:12 AM
? What guys, all you did was give me a google search result... does anyone know where I can go locally?

GTS Jeff
05-11-2004, 07:40 AM
yea u said u have no idea where to start...and doing a simple search is a good place to start. for local results, append the word "calgary" onto the search terms.

u have to decide what u want before u buy it. just about any shop can get u whatever u want. in fact, if u decide what u want first, u can price shop different shops too (since u dont really have a bias for any shops yet)

Lennon
05-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Ok, well I was more hoping cause this is a local forum for me, that someone could give me a lead on some places, thats all I'm hoping for.

Scat
05-11-2004, 08:32 AM
There isn't a whole lot locally.
As far as I know you own an '86 non-turbo 300zx. Just doing an exhaust won't help performance that much unless you get a new intake as well. The best intake to go for in my opinion is the K&N FIPK. Its a huge filter that improves throttle response greatly. It's about $175.00 tho, and its pretty much just a filter and the cleaning products. I know of a few exhausts for the z31, but you might as well just get something custom made locally. If you plan to stay N/A, 2.5" piping is perfect. If you can provide a muffler, or if you use your stock one, this should save you alot of money. The worst part of the stock exhaust is the piping from the catalytic converter to the muffler, so just doing a cat back exhaust is probably good enough. A 240sx throttle body (any ka24de throttle body) will also bolt right up to the intake manifold. It is larger and so it will flow more air, but it won't really make a huge difference unless you port the head. Hopefully that will get you started. Let me know if you need help finding anything else.

Kor
05-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Theres a place called TechWorks that makes em custom and can mandrel bend pipe up to 3" diameters. I would give them a call.

Lennon
05-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Kor, and Scat, thanks guys, ya, I don't really plan on turbo or anything, and to be quite honest, I'm not looking at getting any more power right now, I need to replace the muffler, as I'm able to fit my damn hand in there.... so I was just going to replace it with something a little nicer, thats all.... Thanks again.

- Lennon

Ek9Max
05-12-2004, 01:45 AM
there's a place in calgary that mandrel bends?

Kor
05-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Yeah TechWorks was at World of Wheels, and did an exhaust for a friend's Corrado. I talked to them at the show and in some emails, and apparently they can mandrel bend exhaust pipe up to 3" diameter, which is awesome. They do lots of show-cars and muscle cars, but also they have done lots of racing and turbo setups for Subarus and such.

I plan to have them rebuild my Jetta's exhaust later in the summer, so we'll see how it goes.

Scat
05-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Lennon
Kor, and Scat, thanks guys, ya, I don't really plan on turbo or anything, and to be quite honest, I'm not looking at getting any more power right now, I need to replace the muffler, as I'm able to fit my damn hand in there.... so I was just going to replace it with something a little nicer, thats all.... Thanks again.

- Lennon

I have a stainless steel ractive muffler with a 4" tip that I might be willing to sell. Comes with a silencer. PM me if interested.

QuasarCav
05-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Scat
There isn't a whole lot locally.
As far as I know you own an '86 non-turbo 300zx. Just doing an exhaust won't help performance that much unless you get a new intake as well. The best intake to go for in my opinion is the K&N FIPK. Its a huge filter that improves throttle response greatly. It's about $175.00 tho, and its pretty much just a filter and the cleaning products. I know of a few exhausts for the z31, but you might as well just get something custom made locally. If you plan to stay N/A, 2.5" piping is perfect. If you can provide a muffler, or if you use your stock one, this should save you alot of money. The worst part of the stock exhaust is the piping from the catalytic converter to the muffler, so just doing a cat back exhaust is probably good enough. A 240sx throttle body (any ka24de throttle body) will also bolt right up to the intake manifold. It is larger and so it will flow more air, but it won't really make a huge difference unless you port the head. Hopefully that will get you started. Let me know if you need help finding anything else.

You need the TB from a SOHC 240sx for it to work without too much trouble, stay away from the non-nissan TB's as they dont fit as well.

A intake manifold from a later model pathfinder will work wonders for air flow.

Any shop should be able to bend you a good exhaust, you dont have to buy a pre-made kit.

Scat
05-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

A intake manifold from a later model pathfinder will work wonders for air flow.

Which pathfinder are you talking about? The ones with the VG30E or are you talking about the later 3.3L or 3.5L engines?

subdermal
05-13-2004, 09:29 AM
The Calgary Z Club is having their meeting this Tuesday at Davenport... maybe someonethere could give you some tips?

http://www.calgaryzclub.ca/EventCal.html

SleeperD
05-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Hey Len, i got some really nice pipes for u....they will be coming off my car soon...hehehe (inside joke)

Lennon
05-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by SleeperD
Hey Len, i got some really nice pipes for u....they will be coming off my car soon...hehehe (inside joke)

Ha, haaaaaaa ha. :zzz:

Lennon
05-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Scat, PM sent

SleeperD
05-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Up date your stock one and put some tips on it...nice simple way to go:thumbsup:

Scat
05-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SleeperD
Up date your stock one and put some tips on it...nice simple way to go:thumbsup:

This isn't a bad idea. The stock muffler isn't THAT restrictive, its more the exhaust piping after the cat that restricts exhaust flow. If you just replace the piping and keep the stock muffler, that should help with performance quite a bit. The stock press bent piping is absolute shit when it comes to flowing exhaust gasses.

SleeperD
05-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Pluse when u dont have that much money...*wink* and when the stock muffler already sounds good, and isnt that bad...go with the flow:thumbsup:

porker39
05-16-2004, 04:32 PM
revolution exausts is the way to go look in any magizine an order it its mad loud and not 2 expensive:thumbsup:

Lennon
05-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by porker39
revolution exausts is the way to go look in any magizine an order it its mad loud and not 2 expensive:thumbsup:

I don't want "mad loud" I'm looking more for just a little more performance, no cherry bombs, do they make any other styles of exaust that aren't loud like you say?

hockeybronx
05-18-2004, 12:54 PM
I'd go to Calgary Muffler (a.k.a Carline) they have pretty basic packages available there, check it out and see what they have to offer.

Lennon
05-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Cool, thanks a lot man.

Jason Lange
07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Lennon, go to certifiedmuffler.com they make a full 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent setup for our cars. You can get aluminized or stainless steel. I would recommend 2.5 for your n/a. Or build your own. Here is a picture of mine that I built with 3" mandrel bends from guyons.