PDA

View Full Version : running two monitors

RickDaTuner
05-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I have a asus A7V8X - MX - UAY mobo with a Saphire radeon 9200 atlantis graphics cards with 128 ddr

I have one monitor a 19" connected to the Graphics card and another one a 15" one connect to the on board video

can i get bolth of them to work?

I knwo that the graphics card does support dual monitors.

does it have to be throught the same graphics card though?

Davetronz
05-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Yea you will need a dual monitor video card.

ThE tV 8 mE
05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
yes, you will have to have both monitors both connect to the same card, as your onboard is most liekly disabled.

nismodrifter
05-10-2004, 07:55 PM
wouldn't running 2 video cards in this situation work as well ?? (1 - AGP and 1 - PCI)

soupey
05-10-2004, 08:17 PM
make sure ur onboard is still enabled in ur bios, it will work, jus gotta make sure both vid cards show up, then u can jus right click on ur desktop and go to the screen where u set up ur resolution and enable both monitors.

D'z Nutz
05-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
wouldn't running 2 video cards in this situation work as well ?? (1 - AGP and 1 - PCI)

You can with Linux. I think you can do this with Windows as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

RickDaTuner
05-10-2004, 09:00 PM
i have a DVi plug in the back of the graphics card aswell do i just buy a adapter for it to plug in the other moniter ?

hahaha such computer noob

tulit
05-10-2004, 09:02 PM
You can use two seperate video cards, but the catch is that only certain video cards work with other certain video cards. I never figured out exactly what combos work, but if you read the windows documentation it mentions this fact (but fails once again to tell you what combos do infact work and which dont). Try it and see. If it doesn't work, you are probably better off just picking up a dual head video card. Makes it so much easier.

davidI
05-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
i have a DVi plug in the back of the graphics card aswell do i just buy a adapter for it to plug in the other moniter ?

hahaha such computer noob

That's what I did. I have 2 monitors plugged into one card using a DVI adapter. The adapter was like $20 or $30 I think though. Hopefully they're cheaper now.

Shaolin
05-10-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm running dual monitor on Win2k.. you just need a AGP card and a PCI card like Nismo says.. be aware that some cards dont' like each other (IE. Nvidia drivers with ATI drivers).. I had a GeForce AGP card and a PCI ATI card and the drivers took a shit on me.. it does work, just very finiki to get it setup..

But yeah, i'm running a ATI Rage 8mb PCI and a Radeon 8500 and it's works fine.. I also have an ATI TV card running as well and it works fine.

There are easier ways of course.. just buy a card that has Dual heads..

spike98
05-10-2004, 09:18 PM
I have one running off and AGP card and one running of the onboard. Works good. As said above make sure you onboard is still enabled. Then go to the display settings.

RickDaTuner
05-10-2004, 09:33 PM
well i cant get my bios to enable my onboard VGA out put but i did throw in a really old PCI video card in and that seems to work..

mind you the older card only has 1meg onboard video hahaha kinda neat though

nismodrifter
05-10-2004, 10:04 PM
dual monitors pwn j00!!!!! I can't live without duals any more :D

hampstor
05-10-2004, 11:01 PM
A lot of the newer onboard videocards run through the AGP... so when you plug a card into the AGP expansion it will automatically disable the onboard.

The way round that (if your board is affected) is as everyone else said, use a PCI video card. The PCI card can have dual outputs so you can in effect hookup 3 displays to your PC.

Your Sapphire Radeon 9200 may have a standard HD15 VGA and a DVI-I interface (most of the sapphire 9200SE's i have seen do not have the DVI-I). If it has a DVI-I, you can get a dvi-vga adapter and run your 2nd display off of the dvi-vga adapter (adapter is $9.95).

RickDaTuner
05-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
A lot of the newer onboard videocards run through the AGP... so when you plug a card into the AGP expansion it will automatically disable the onboard.

The way round that (if your board is affected) is as everyone else said, use a PCI video card. The PCI card can have dual outputs so you can in effect hookup 3 displays to your PC.

Your Sapphire Radeon 9200 may have a standard HD15 VGA and a DVI-I interface (most of the sapphire 9200SE's i have seen do not have the DVI-I). If it has a DVI-I, you can get a dvi-vga adapter and run your 2nd display off of the dvi-vga adapter (adapter is $9.95). yeah It does have DVI-I i just need to know where to get the adapter now.. the internet isnt being helpfull at all with this(except for you guys), the Pci card I have just isnt cutting it the max resoloution is 800X600 and 16bit not really worth the dual set IMO well if any of you guys can tell me where you nabbed your adapter from that would awsome!:thumbsup: