PDA

View Full Version : Question About Springs!

import_azn
05-11-2004, 10:43 PM
ok, i have springs on my eg. the drop is about 1.5 in the front and 1 in the rear. my question is, is it possible to cut a coil off each spring to make it lower. or better off to buy new ones?

thanks in advance

Weapon_R
05-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Buy new ones. You can't get gayer than cut springs.

Moe Man
05-11-2004, 11:02 PM
ya man your ride quality will be screwed

import_azn
05-11-2004, 11:16 PM
ok, i get the picture. now how low should i go?

KoukiS14
05-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Buy new ones indeed.

No need to be ghetto when you drive a Spoon EG :D

KoukiS14
05-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by import_azn
ok, i get the picture. now how low should i go?

At least 2"....dump that ride!

import_azn
05-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14

At least 2"....dump that ride!

thanks

barmanjay
05-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Years ago I had a VW Rabbit, and got performance springs that dropped my car about 1.5",... but i wanted it lower,..... so i cut 1 complete coil off each (on the tight ones). stiffer ride. ended up with like a 2.5" drop,.... loved it, but will never do it again.

performance springs are like reg springs, but have tight coils, vs. reg springs where all the coils are the same distance apart from each other. When the springs compressed by the cars weight,... the tight coils are touching,... so it really doesn't make much difference cutting one tight coil off,... the prob will be hitting big bumps when the springs expand as the weight of the car is lifted off of them,.... could have serious probs.

I wouldn't suggest cutting your springs,.... what I would do first to see if you like the ride is clamp your springs,.... see if you like it,... then invest in lower springs or coil overs.

depends on how much you wanna spend on your car,... your call.

GT2NV
05-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by import_azn
ok, i have springs on my eg. the drop is about 1.5 in the front and 1 in the rear. my question is, is it possible to cut a coil off each spring to make it lower. or better off to buy new ones?

thanks in advance
you can cut your perches (sp?) that will drop it down another 1/2 inch:thumbsup:

PhenomSE
05-12-2004, 11:23 AM
I say go 2.5" all around...that is what I had on my civic and loved it!! :thumbsup:

hjr
05-12-2004, 11:32 AM
super low doesnt actually mean super well handling, just a heads up. If your only going for show then it doesnt really matter.

barmanjay
05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
remember, if you cut your springs,.,.... it will be lower, you can't go back,... It's gonna be bouncy, unless you get some seriously stiff struts, even then, that may not do it. and the risk of the spring slipping off the outer plates if you go over a big bump when the weight is lifted off the springs.

Like I said clamp your springs first to see if you like it.

GTS Jeff
05-13-2004, 07:59 AM
if u can afford proper springs, dont cut your current ones. cutting springs changes the spring rates and most importantly destroys the part of the spring that sits on the perch.
Originally posted by barmanjay
performance springs are like reg springs, but have tight coils, vs. reg springs where all the coils are the same distance apart from each other. When the springs compressed by the cars weight,... the tight coils are touching,... so it really doesn't make much difference cutting one tight coil off,... the prob will be hitting big bumps when the springs expand as the weight of the car is lifted off of them,.... could have serious probs.

ahh ure talking about progressively wound springs.

remember, if you cut your springs,.,.... It's gonna be bouncy, unless you get some seriously stiff struts, even then, that may not do it. and the risk of the spring slipping off the outer plates if you go over a big bump when the weight is lifted off the springs.

Like I said clamp your springs first to see if you like it.

actually, thats kind of untrue, because a bouncy ride is caused by blown shocks, not cut springs. anytime u use shorter springs (whether cut or aftermarket) on oem shocks, the oem shocks will blow after awhile (a year at most) and thats what gives the bouncy ride. remember that springs control stiffness while shocks control how fast the car moves up and down.

the springs could fall out, but its been my experience that they dont...altho they do make scary squeaks when u go down steep hills. they usually do unseat when u lift the car up. heh, hopefully ill be done with the cut springs in a few days :)

barmanjay
05-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
actually, thats kind of untrue, because a bouncy ride is caused by blown shocks, not cut springs. anytime u use shorter springs (whether cut or aftermarket) on oem shocks, the oem shocks will blow after awhile (a year at most) and thats what gives the bouncy ride. remember that springs control stiffness while shocks control how fast the car moves up and down.

actually, thats kind of untrue, because a bouncy ride is caused by blown struts, not cut springs. anytime u use shorter springs (whether cut or aftermarket) on oem struts, the oem struts will blow after awhile (a year at most) and thats what gives the bouncy ride. remember that springs control stiffness while struts control how fast the car moves up and down.

As i do believe a shock is a combination of both spring and strut.

DSMer4Life
05-14-2004, 09:49 AM
My believe is that the bouncy ride, given all components are functioning properly, is a result of using upgraded springs and stock struts/shocks. The stock struts/shocks can't keep up to the higher spring rate. It's more noticable on the rebound.

I would recommend upgrading your struts/shocks at the same time as the springs to take full advantage of the suspension.

GTS Jeff
05-15-2004, 04:16 AM

actually, thats kind of untrue, because a bouncy ride is caused by blown struts, not cut springs. anytime u use shorter springs (whether cut or aftermarket) on oem struts, the oem struts will blow after awhile (a year at most) and thats what gives the bouncy ride. remember that springs control stiffness while struts control how fast the car moves up and down.

As i do believe a shock is a combination of both spring and strut. lol u believe incorrectly then.

"shock" is short for shock absorber. "strut" is a type of suspension where the shock is used as a locating member for the wheel.

a real world example is the rear suspension of many rwd cars where the springs and the shocks are separate and theres no struts at all in the back.

three.eighteen.
05-16-2004, 05:11 PM
a strut is a shock and spring together...a shock is just the gas/oil tube

hjr
05-17-2004, 03:48 PM
As i do believe a shock is a combination of both spring and strut. ure wrong.

barmanjay
05-17-2004, 06:43 PM
my bad,.... had a white moment there,...LOL

You guys are right, I'm wrong,... A strut is a combination of shock Abs. and spring,.... ie: front: macpherson struts,..... shock and spring all nice in a bundle, easy to remove whole assembly and replace.

Once again, my apologies