PDA

View Full Version : Almost in accident, need advice

sin
05-12-2004, 06:34 PM
OK, so im driving down Woodbine Blvd with just me and my girlfriend in the car (1990 Honda Accord) when some guy coming towards me turns left right in front of me. I swerved away from him (to my right) and luckily he swerved the other way (to my left) and we avoided an accident. My swerving, however, put me onto some wet gravel which made my brakes lock up (i have no abs) and i slid into a square curb at about 45.

I took it into speedy today to get an estimate, and my control arm is broken, need new ball joints, rim is bent, plus labor for all of that.

What do you all think would be the best course of action for me to take? Its under $1000 damage so i dont need to get insurance/po-po involved, but i might get a lawyer involved just because this was so blatantly his fault.

Weapon_R
05-12-2004, 06:35 PM
I assume you never signed anything, or got any of his information? Prove it was his fault.

autobodygal
05-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Very true, without written admission from him, or even information about him, you are screwed.

That.Guy.S30
05-12-2004, 07:29 PM
yes man true. this happened to me also but luckily i was able to cacth up to the guy and get his info. but there was no damage done to my car so i let him off

sputnik
05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
yeah... no collision usually means no fault (unless the other driver assumes responsibility on his own)

most insurance companies will just say that you werent driving defensively enough. (whatever that is supposed to mean)

however think of it this way... my mom watched a woman driving behind take a curb REALLY hard because the woman was sleeping when my mom was braking and woke up at the last minute and stoped with the old "curb braking" system. $1200 damage.

she went to MPIC (MB public insurance) and claimed it was my moms fault... however with no collision MPIC just laughed at her.

how would you like it if someone took that claim against you and the insurance company said you were responsible?

sin
05-12-2004, 10:06 PM
ok i got his name and stuff and talked to him and the night it happened he said sorry, admitted fault, and said hed pay to fix it... at that time there was no visible damage

my girlfriend could be a witness, and i could subpoena the other 2 in his car could i not?

hjr
05-12-2004, 10:32 PM
well then, tell him what you need and see if you can get him to write down and sign that he was at fault.

sin
05-12-2004, 10:49 PM
to sputnik:
i was driving defensively, the car turned from behind a truck, we couldnt see each other at all.

Dave P
05-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by sin

my girlfriend could be a witness, and i could subpoena the other 2 in his car could i not?

your gf cant be a witness if she was in the car with you.

jdmakkord
05-12-2004, 11:13 PM
with all the people parting out 4gen accords on here, the parts shouldn't be too expensive