PDA

View Full Version : wanted NEW?USED bell cell phone

JordanLotoski
05-13-2004, 12:06 AM
hey iam looking for a new phone....right now i have an audiovox 8500 its ok..id like somehting with a color screen and with a camera..anyone have anything...maybe roopi????

Gonthro
05-13-2004, 07:48 AM
fyi, if you get any unlocked pcs phone you can use it on bell.

roopi
05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Sorry can't hook you up with any Bell / Telus phones. I just have my personal GSM collection.

Gonthro - I was under the assumption that Bell did not let foreign ESN's on their network like Telus.

Gonthro
05-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by roopi
Sorry can't hook you up with any Bell / Telus phones. I just have my personal GSM collection.

Gonthro - I was under the assumption that Bell did not let foreign ESN's on their network like Telus.

hrm, thats news to me...

im not sure, i just assumed it was all the same.

BebeAphrodite
05-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
fyi, if you get any unlocked pcs phone you can use it on bell.
not true
Bell/Telus are CDMA
Fido/Rogers are GSM
two completely different networks
gee.. what a good fyi post :rolleyes:

Not too sure how Bell works but speaking on behalf of Telus, we do have the ability to add foreign ESNs. If the ESN doesn't show up on the network we can add it when we're in the dealer portal. :D

Gonthro
05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

not true
Bell/Telus are CDMA
Fido/Rogers are GSM
two completely different networks
gee.. what a good fyi post :rolleyes:

cdma = pcs

so thanks for the useless reply

roopi
05-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

Not too sure how Bell works but speaking on behalf of Telus, we do have the ability to add foreign ESNs. If the ESN doesn't show up on the network we can add it when we're in the dealer portal. :D

So are you telling me that you personally have the ability to add a Foreign ESN to the Telus network? If so, have you successfully done this? Can you still do this?

I know that Telus CAN add foreign ESN's but they don't do this for anyone (pretty much no one).

Well PCS is usually used the same as CDMA but the actual definition is:

Personal Communications Service: an American generic term for a mass-market mobile phone service, emphasizing personal communication, independent of the technology used to provide it. PCS includes such digital cellular technologies as GSM 1900, CDMA and TDMA IS-136. 2G, CDMA, Digital, GSM, TDMA

I assumed it was CDMA as well since you only hear the term from CDMA providers.

BebeAphrodite
05-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

cdma = pcs

so thanks for the useless reply

Not true again.
Look at the definition that was posted by roopi.
Refers to literally all cell phones, Telus just happens to call their non-mike phone line - PCS phones.
Also unlocking cdma phones is not as easy as gsm phones. I still haven't found someone to unlock a CDMA phone, the places in Vancouver that I found could only unlock GSM.

So are you telling me that you personally have the ability to add a Foreign ESN to the Telus network? If so, have you successfully done this? Can you still do this?

I know that Telus CAN add foreign ESN's but they don't do this for anyone (pretty much no one).

Yes, I've added unknown ESNs before. You basically go through the procedure to either activate or switch an esn through the dealer portal (APOLLO). When you enter an unknown ESN it will give a message along the lines of "ESN unknown, do you want to add" and you click a button to proceed. This problem usually happens with older phones (that still use esns and not hex) - they are not in the system.

We've also put American CDMA phones on the Telus network.. two Verizon phones.

Also when you call customer service for information, they are told that using an American phone on the TELUS system won't work so that is what gets passed on to the customer. But I've seen it done as well and not just 'heard' it worked. My coworker simply added the ESN - mind you the customer did have to call Verizon to get the unlock code. She basically programmed the phone like she would a Telus phone, added the ESN, and the phone was in working order. Most people don't attempt to add foreign ESNs onto the network because the poeple who bring their phones in are bringing in Telus phones.

roopi
05-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Well thats interesting to here because I remember trying to get a foreign ESN added and the bastards wouldn't. They said it was against policy. I've spoke with a few people as well who could not get them added.

Now I know who to contact when I need a foreign ESN added. :D

BebeAphrodite
05-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Well thats interesting to here because I remember trying to get a foreign ESN added and the bastards wouldn't. They said it was against policy. I've spoke with a few people as well who could not get them added.

Now I know who to contact when I need a foreign ESN added. :D

Is it an American phone that you're thinking of putting onto the account or an older phone? Or what's the situation? lol
Ya, when we had the American phone situation we contacted Telus quite a few times to see if it would work and after talking to three agents, I got one who said that TECHNICALLY it would work. So my co-worker attempted it and it did work.