PDA

View Full Version : Red Light camera... ticket?

ACS-e36
05-13-2004, 12:56 AM
driving home from the 403 meet... i gunned in thru a intersection when it turned yellow i looked up the light had turned red and noticed a flash. i looked thru my rear mirror and just noticed the red light camera post. :banghead: do red light camera posts still flash with no camera in it?

fast95pony
05-13-2004, 02:22 AM
If you were flashing boobs ,it might have been Ben.
Otherwise ....Busted !!

Fluidic
05-13-2004, 02:30 AM
Brandon -- dude... you got a ticket.

No big deal. Just don't do it again... (lol) and just pay the ticket.

Anyways, it's just an R.O. ticket, so you won't get any demerits -- you'll be fine. ;) :)

ACS-e36
05-13-2004, 06:55 AM
:cry: :banghead: :whipped: :thumbsdow

roopi
05-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Expensive ticket. I think about $290.00. I got one last summer, I'll never do that again.

sputnik
05-13-2004, 10:42 AM
$258... i think

ntv1980
05-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Anybody knows how long will they send out a ticket? Not sure if I'm getting one too. Maybe. Damn the friggin car in front of me going too slow. arrhhh :guns:

Would I get bursted if I enter the intersection and at the instant the light goes from green to yellow???

roopi
05-13-2004, 12:05 PM
You will only get a ticket if you enter the intersection after the light turns red.

If you are in the intersection and the light turns red you will not get a ticket.

ryder_23
05-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic
Brandon -- dude... you got a ticket.

No big deal.

It is a big deal...His momma's gonna murda him :rofl:

Just make sure you start gettin the mail for the next few weeks :thumbsup:

rc2002
05-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi
You will only get a ticket if you enter the intersection after the light turns red.

If you are in the intersection and the light turns red you will not get a ticket.

The grace period is 1.0 or 1.5 seconds too. So it has to be red for over 1.0 second before you enter the intersection. Are you sure no one else went through the intersection after you?

Khyron
05-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

The grace period is 1.0 or 1.5 seconds too. So it has to be red for over 1.0 second before you enter the intersection. Are you sure no one else went through the intersection after you?

I've seen a ticket with .2 seconds indicated. Now I don't know if that's .2 seconds from the end of the grace period or from when the light turned red, but I wouldn't doubt if there is no grace period at all.

Khyron

QuasarCav
05-13-2004, 01:26 PM
There is a electric field sensor and as soon as your vehicle goes over it another sensor in the middle of the intersection activates.

You need to trigger both sensors to get the camera to turn on. I believe the first sensor turns on when the light is yellow.

ntv1980
05-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Original thread in 2003 about Redlight Camera statement from Calgary Police Service:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=21558

Well, if it's still the same policy & setup, then there's hope.... :confused: ....

FYI, based on the info in the thread, you can get a camera ticket too if you're doing a RIGHT turn on red :eek:

hjr
05-13-2004, 03:02 PM
they flash twice to show you in and leaving the intersection.

Originally posted by QuasarCav
There is a electric field sensor and as soon as your vehicle goes over it another sensor in the middle of the intersection activates.

You need to trigger both sensors to get the camera to turn on. I believe the first sensor turns on when the light is yellow. Does this mean it will not flash just once if you are half way through or something?

kiwi
05-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ntv1980
FYI, based on the info in the thread, you can get a camera ticket too if you're doing a RIGHT turn on red :eek:

As long as you make a complete stop at a red light before you turn right, the camera will still flash, but they won't give you a ticket for it. The cameras also track your speed I believe...

ACS-e36
05-13-2004, 03:10 PM
i was in the intersection just after it turned red... but i DID see a flash

kiwi
05-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36

Cameras take 2 pictures I think... so maybe you'll be able to get away with it, cuz the cameras only flash after the light turns red, & they should be able to see in the photos that you were just trying to clear the intersection... :dunno:

How fast were you going?

ntv1980
05-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Seems like it will take 2 pictures AFTER light turn Red.

Quote:

The fixed red light cameras photograph only those vehicles that enter the intersection after the light turns red. The cameras are synchronized to the traffic signal so the camera is activated only when the light starts its red phase. This system is designed to minimize photographs being taken when an offence has not occurred. The camera takes two photographs: one just before the vehicle enters the intersection on a red light and a second one as the vehicle proceeds through the intersection. Each set of photographs is later evaluated by an officer to ensure an offence has occurred prior to the issuing of a summons.

More info is in here:

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/trafficsafety/red_light_camera.html

So, there is hope :thumbsup: , but then again, time will tell.

kiwi
05-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by ntv1980
So, there is hope :thumbsup: , but then again, time will tell.

Yup! Exactly! So don't worry too much about it... & if they really do give you a ticket, it'll be in the mail in about a week to 2 weeks at the latest.

ACS-e36
05-13-2004, 04:02 PM
waiting period sux

Seanith
05-13-2004, 06:36 PM
All the cameras in the city aren't active. Whether or not an inactive camera still flashes I don't know.

kenny
05-13-2004, 07:23 PM
If you are lucky, the camera was not at the intersection at the time you got "flashed". Depending on which intersection you were at and how busy it is in terms of red light runners you might be okay :)

cloud7
05-13-2004, 09:22 PM
They all flash even if there is no camera in them.

redline_13000
05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36

same thing happened to me about 10 days ago. EXACTLY. Im hoping i dont get a ticket I have way to many:( :(

Owned 2
05-14-2004, 12:35 AM
I was in a rush to get to work about 2 weeks ago.. and ran a red light.. I mean ran it.. like... it was red and I gun'd it. It was red for like... 3 seconds. It was really stupid of me, but I had to get to work or get fired.
But I didnt see a flash, does this mean no ticket? I read somewhere that not ALL the cameras are functioning...

ANyone?

kiwi
05-14-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Owned 2
I was in a rush to get to work about 2 weeks ago.. and ran a red light.. I mean ran it.. like... it was red and I gun'd it. It was red for like... 3 seconds. It was really stupid of me, but I had to get to work or get fired.
But I didnt see a flash, does this mean no ticket? I read somewhere that not ALL the cameras are functioning...

ANyone?

tsk tsk tsk.. hee hee, j/k

I thought only active cameras would flash...?!? :confused:
So you're safe? :dunno:

kiwi
05-14-2004, 12:41 AM
You know, I don't think it's a good idea to have a flash for the traffic cameras... they should use something else, like lasers or something... ha ha ha

Cuz the flash basically tells the whole world that there's a camera right there, & also the sudden blinding light could distract drivers in oncoming traffic... :dunno:

Zero102
05-14-2004, 12:44 AM
For what it's worth, you cannot get a ticket for a right turn on a red.
They take pictures, not video, there is no way to prove whether you stopped or not.
I've made 5 right turns on a red when the camera went off, never got a ticket. Been about 4 months since the first one, 3 weeks since the last.
I hate that right turn from eastbound 17th ave onto 44th st northbound (S.E.), you have to go pretty far straight to make it around the curb, seems to always take my picture.

kiwi
05-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
For what it's worth, you cannot get a ticket for a right turn on a red.
They take pictures, not video, there is no way to prove whether you stopped or not.
I've made 5 right turns on a red when the camera went off, never got a ticket. Been about 4 months since the first one, 3 weeks since the last.
I hate that right turn from eastbound 17th ave onto 44th st northbound (S.E.), you have to go pretty far straight to make it around the curb, seems to always take my picture.

Actually, they can tell, because of the way your wheels are turned, & the camera also tracks your speed. So it's obvious to them weather or not you stopped first.

lam-boy
05-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Owned 2

ANyone?

then why didn't you leave to work earlier?

if you ran the light, what if you t-boned your mom or your dad or something? :rolleyes:

Zero102
05-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

Actually, they can tell, because of the way your wheels are turned, & the camera also tracks your speed. So it's obvious to them weather or not you stopped first.

I don't think they can.
If they can track your speed, they should issue speeding tickets as well.

For them to conclusively prove that you did not stop, they would have to keep a video of you making the right turn. Or some other kind of continuously recording speed tracker, which they don't have. Those cameras only take still pictures. They cannot prove if you ran it making a turn. That's why they only get people going straight, because if you entered and exited an intersection on a red light, then you ran it. Not so for a turn.