PDA

View Full Version : Spring Semester classes start?

Hakkola
05-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey, I think classes started today right? I have a class on Saturdays and I'm wondering if it starts this weekend or not (long weekend, are there classes?)

Who else is taking spring courses?

AquamosH
05-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah, they started today, and yours probably does start this week as well (isn't the long weekend next week?).

I'm taking two courses in Spring: SGMA 395 and MGST 291

Gainsbarre
05-14-2004, 12:10 AM
:rofl:

If you're going to the U of C, weekend classes started on the 3rd of May, so you're already missed two classes if you're enrolled in a Saturday class at the U.

I had fun going to class on the 3rd...less than 48 hours after I had completed my last final exam from the winter session.

Golf IV
05-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Ummm....I think weekend spring session started on May1st?? I know spring session started today but I think weekend starts earlier.

AquamosH
05-14-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Golf IV
Ummm....I think weekend spring session started on May1st?? I know spring session started today but I think weekend starts earlier.

Lol, I forgot weekend courses started early. You're a couple weeks late Hakkola. :eek:

kiwi
05-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Hey, I think classes started today right? I have a class on Saturdays and I'm wondering if it starts this weekend or not (long weekend, are there classes?)

Who else is taking spring courses?

Long weekend is NEXT week... & even though you've already missed 2 lectures, you should go to the one this Sat.... :rofl:

Weapon_R
05-14-2004, 12:22 AM
First off, what school are you talking about?

kiwi
05-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
:rofl:

If you're going to the U of C, weekend classes started on the 3rd of May, so you're already missed two classes if you're enrolled in a Saturday class at the U.

I had fun going to class on the 3rd...less than 48 hours after I had completed my last final exam from the winter session.

Were you looking at the April calendar thinking it was May? hee hee, j/k :angel:

That.Guy.S30
05-14-2004, 12:40 AM
ahah shit man your fucked. most weekend classes have test this week. i know i do. gl with whatever course your in

kiwi
05-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
ahah shit man your fucked. most weekend classes have test this week. i know i do. gl with whatever course your in

:eek: Egads! Email your prof ASAP Hakkola!!!
I'm sure you already know who the prof is from Infonet, so just look up the email address on Webmail...

BebeAphrodite
05-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by AquamosH
Yeah, they started today, and yours probably does start this week as well (isn't the long weekend next week?).

I'm taking two courses in Spring: SGMA 395 and MGST 291

it works to take those two at the same time? I coulda sworn that 291 was a prereq for 395... have fun in 395.. my fave class to date! :thumbsup:

-:cry:-

Hakkola
05-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Hahahaha, shit, I guess I should drop it and take it in the summer, lol.

Gainsbarre
05-14-2004, 09:59 AM
The last day to drop a Saturday course (AND STILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK) held during the spring semester was May 5th.

Drop it now and you'll get a W on your transcript

Weapon_R
05-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
The last day to drop a Saturday course (AND STILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK) held during the spring semester was May 5th.

Drop it now and you'll get a W on your transcript

Better than an F.

And if you drop it now, you're crazy. You still have time to catch up. Go get a doctors note if you missed a test. Read the required chapters and write the test. Some marks are better than no marks. If at the end of the term you are still doing poorly, you can withdraw. Don't do it now.

Hakkola
05-14-2004, 07:53 PM
I work fulltime so I won't have time to catch up, I never paid in full for the class, onlyt the deposit, what happens if I don't pay?

Gainsbarre
05-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Fees are due on Monday May 17. If you don't pay the outstanding balance in full, you'll still be held liable for the fees, along with an additional late charge (I think it's $60). I don't think they'll allow you to register for courses in the upcoming fall04/winter05 session if you have fees outstanding. It's too late to drop the course now and still get your money back -- the time to do that was over a week ago. Just do what Weapon_R said..go to the third class on Saturday and see if you've missed anything and/or if you can catch up. It's possible that you didn't miss anything. In the weekend class I'm in we haven't covered a damn thing in the first two weeks and the only quiz/exam (besides the final) that we're responsible for isn't for another two weeks.

Hakkola
05-14-2004, 09:06 PM
My class is COMS, I'm pretty sure I've missed something... I'm pretty much fucked I think, that's too bad.

What's the damage if I get a W on my transcript?

Orbie
05-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Depends on what you use your transcripts for in the future. Many employers request transcripts for jobs for new post-secondary graduates, and a W can be seen as worse then a F because it means that you gave up on the class for some reason. If your reason isn't good then it might as well be an F. An F on the other hand could be better then a W because some could say that at least they stuck it out and tried to finish the course.

Either way it stays on your permanent transcripts, and may be something that could cost you a job in the future. On the other hand it may not...but IMO it's better not to have to worry about things like this and just try not to get any F's or W's.

On the other hand, if you apply for jobs that don't give a crap about transcripts then your fine.

liquid1010
05-15-2004, 11:44 AM
I have two W's on my transcript. For me it was because I forgot to drop the class before the last day to do so. I would say an F is way worse than a W in my eyes.

eb0i
05-16-2004, 11:35 PM
bah on employers even checking transcripts. It really depends on the company and sometimes they only check the last year or even maybe two years.

An F is worst than a W in my opinion just because an F pulls down your GPA big and then if you're overall GPA is too low you're going to be in Academic Probation. But like others have mentioned it's probably best to try and stay in it till the last day when you can drop a class. If by then you can't pull above a C then drop it. Plus it's Coms, it's not that hard.

Orbie
05-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
bah on employers even checking transcripts. It really depends on the company and sometimes they only check the last year or even maybe two years.

As I was implying before, it depends on what your field is and who the employer is. Almost every single job I've applied to for Internship or post-graduate jobs have all asked for Most-Recent Transcipts (full unofficial transcipts, not just last few years), I was in CPSC by the way. This included IBM, Imperial Oil, Shell Canada, Petro-Canada, TCPL, Microsoft, Husky, Exxon-Mobil/Canada, BP, PWC, and tons of smaller software and IT companies. On many of my interviews at these places, I was always asked about performance in my first year (which is my worst year). They look for anomolies in your record, whichever year(s) those might occur in. Anomolies being W's and F's.

Hakkola
05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
I want to start my own business so I'm not too worried about W's then, thanks guys.