PDA

View Full Version : Audi S4

bksze
10-16-2002, 10:35 PM
just some questions on the S4, test drove one today and it is definitely one sweet car, now about reliability . .. heard audis aren't that great in that category . . . anyone care to share??? and any other pros and cons of getting an s4?

thanks in advance

Ben
10-16-2002, 10:37 PM
You have heard wrong...Take care of the car it will take care of you...look at the motor it runs..talk about high performance...

Bag the B-Jesus out of it and treat it bad, it wont love you back.

bksze
10-16-2002, 10:40 PM
well assume that I don't bag the shiet out of it more so than any other average person with a S4 . . . i've heard volkwagons weren't too reliable, add on twin turbos and i'm wondering if reliability is an issue or not . . . just lookin for opinions!!!

Weapon_R
10-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Audi had a bad reputation during the 1980s. I think they've cleaned it up now. Can't go wrong with an Audi for quality and reliability.

Audi Kid
10-16-2002, 11:03 PM
hmmmm well lets see! my dad has had audis since 1976........turbo audis are very reliable.....but as benny said you gotta treat that car right and it will treat you right!!! id say go for it man! join the club dont go vdub! hahaha :D

turkeysilk
10-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by bksze
just some questions on the S4, test drove one today and it is definitely one sweet car, now about reliability . .. heard audis aren't that great in that category . . . anyone care to share??? and any other pros and cons of getting an s4?

thanks in advance

I've heard that the mid 80's audis have poor reliabilty, but anything past that is find.

Fluidic
10-16-2002, 11:52 PM
well assume that I don't bag the shiet out of it more so than any other average person with a S4 . . . i've heard volkwagons weren't too reliable, add on twin turbos and i'm wondering if reliability is an issue or not . . . just lookin for opinions!!!

Where the hell did you get this info? Reliability is definitely NOT an issue. S4's can be beat-on like how Kenny treats his car and it will still ask for more. My turbo-charged Volkswagen fucking hauls wherever I take it, and it only asks for more. There are TONS of people I know, who are pushing 20psi through a K03/K04 hybrid "factory" turbo (which normally produces anywhere between 9-13psi) that are laughing!! :)

If you have any more questions regarding VW or Audi reliability, come on over to www.newveedub.com and ask some questions! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Peter

buh_buh
10-16-2002, 11:56 PM
you should talk to Turbomiata.

max_boost
10-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Like most german cars, would it not cost an arm and a leg when it actually breaks down?

anyway, reliability should be good on Audi, very strong cars, look at Audikid, 400000kms and going strong! especially if you are paying $50K+ for an s4, i honestly don't see many problems arising

what year s4 you looking at? why not consider e36 M3?

Weapon_R
10-17-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital

If you have any more questions regarding VW or Audi reliability, come on over to

Or you can refer yourself to this site, which is probably why Audi has a poor reputation stemming from the 1980s. They have since cleaned up their act, however, and offer very nice vehicles with excellent reliability.

http://www.metrocomputing.net/gtworld/cars/5000.htm

Fluidic
10-17-2002, 12:52 AM
I like the 1980's + Audi vehicles. For example: Mike's Audi, as Sam pointed out: 400000km and still going STRONG! :bigpimp:

Peter

ninjak84
10-17-2002, 01:37 AM
one of my friends drives a brand new A6, and its immaculate.
tho i cant comment on reliability thus far, it sure has given him some good times. and the all wheel drive aspect gives it business class even in -30 weather.

Voodoo Child
10-17-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Hey Max,
I'm a fan of the BM's, but the S4 will (in my opinion) kill an E36 M3 with a K04 upgrade package. Granted it's $10K or so, but with it comes close to 500hp.
I've been doing some serious research on these bad boys and it is without a doubt a fantastic car.

Twin Turbo's are the way to go!

Voodoo Child
10-17-2002, 09:28 AM
Oh ya,

Can someone explain to me the difference between the S4 and the RS4? I'm assuming one is the NA version and the other is the Euro version.

Am I right or wrong?

Hollywood
10-17-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Oh ya,

Can someone explain to me the difference between the S4 and the RS4? I'm assuming one is the NA version and the other is the Euro version.

Am I right or wrong?

Nope the R version is the wagon.

B17a
10-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Are you sure? I was reading an article last month in Car and Driver about the new RS6 which is a bitch of a sedan! 492hp I think!

Voodoo Child
10-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Hollywood, I believe the two models are always classed as "avant" and "sedan".

Help us Benny-one-kenobe, you're our only hope.

GTS Jeff
10-17-2002, 10:28 AM

thanks in advance well its german, so of course it isnt reliable!

heh, well that holds true for most older german cars up to the early 90s...but who knows about the newer ones; they havent been around long enough for a judgement to be made
Help us Benny-one-kenobe, you're our only hope. well that was gay :D :guns:

max_boost
10-17-2002, 10:42 AM

Hey Max,
I'm a fan of the BM's, but the S4 will (in my opinion) kill an E36 M3 with a K04 upgrade package. Granted it's $10K or so, but with it comes close to 500hp.
I've been doing some serious research on these bad boys and it is without a doubt a fantastic car.

Dude, I never thought about that........the S4 already packs what? 250hp stock? Throw in $10K and holy shitz!!:burnout: I'm sure it will satsify speed cravings

VWhooligan
10-17-2002, 11:24 AM
S4 is sedan.
RS4 is wagon (or avant in europe).

Same with the 6 series etc etc.

bksze
10-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Like most german cars, would it not cost an arm and a leg when it actually breaks down?

anyway, reliability should be good on Audi, very strong cars, look at Audikid, 400000kms and going strong! especially if you are paying $50K+ for an s4, i honestly don't see many problems arising

was lookin at a 2001 s4, i want a new car . . . well newer anyways, i bought a 96 prelude because i liked that bodystyle but you keep a car too long, it starts making noises and shiet, and i want a quiet comfortable ride, not into the crazy exhaust sounds and what not . . . and btw the s4's are all listing under 50s so maybe it's time for you to trade in haha . . . i did consider the e36 m3 but not into buying an older car . . .

E36M3
10-17-2002, 04:56 PM
As long as you don't care about handling, braking or other dynamic characteristics, the S4 could 'kill' an E36 M3 with those upgrades. For 10k or so in an E36 M3, you could turbocharge it to similiar horsepower, and have the added benefit of fantastic brakes and among the best suspension known to man.

I found the S4 to be way too soft for my taste, and the understeer is a little much. Balancing that against Calgary's winters, though, it is a fine choice.

I wouldn't buy a non RWD (or AWD based on a RWD chassis with RWD bias) car, as the handling is just not as good.

Hey Max,

Voodoo Child
10-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Thanks rob!
Always good to have the euro-guru's on board!

E36M3
10-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Although the RS4 is being built exclusively as an Avant, the RS designation does not imply that it is an Avant. RS is the ultimate designation for an Audi product line, and many RS series cars will be introduced over the next few years, many in sedan form.

The S4 is available in both sedan and Avant forms.

Originally posted by VWhooligan
S4 is sedan.

importadrenelin
10-17-2002, 06:00 PM
S4 is sick as shit when modified... sign me up for an S4 if I can find one.
Bye BYE Supra & Type R:burnout:

Hollywood
10-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by VWhooligan
S4 is sedan.

See, Hollywood knows his shizatt!

max_boost
10-17-2002, 09:56 PM

was lookin at a 2001 s4, i want a new car . . . well newer anyways, i bought a 96 prelude because i liked that bodystyle but you keep a car too long, it starts making noises and shiet, and i want a quiet comfortable ride, not into the crazy exhaust sounds and what not . . . and btw the s4's are all listing under 50s so maybe it's time for you to trade in haha . . . i did consider the e36 m3 but not into buying an older car . . .

When I upgrade to my next car, it will be something with all out ballz and style! Maybe M or AMG something hehe but this won't be for at least 3 years

Audi Kid
10-17-2002, 11:03 PM
too bad the beast just had a little slip up! i think i got a bad 02 sensor....or it has to do with me drilling holes in my airbox...hmmm i wonder...haha in the shop till tommrow might need a new airbox damnit!

Audi Kid
10-17-2002, 11:03 PM
too bad the beast just had a little slip up! i think i got a bad 02 sensor....or it has to do with me drilling holes in my airbox...hmmm i wonder...haha in the shop till tommrow might need a new airbox damnit!

Ben
10-18-2002, 12:04 AM
Well, by the time I got back and read this thread it has been answered..

It is very likely my next car will be the 2.7L Bi Turbo.

turboMiata
10-18-2002, 10:13 AM
I just want to clear the air a bit about the S4. Currently, I'm in the process of picking up a 2000 S4 so I've done quite a bit of research on the topic. Here are some of the things to consider:

- S4s in Canada are quite different than S4s in US or Europe. For starters, Canadian cars don't have Xenon or fogs in the bumper. In the US, you can pick up an S4 wagon (Avant) and in Europe, an S4 Coupe (Ugly,IMO).

- Audi has an exceptional 4 year full warranty. The warranty covers everything and I mean everything. They will give you new brake pads, fill up your washer fluid, new wipers whenever you need them. (Sorry, rage, the only thing not covered under the warranty is rubber!). But every other wear-tear item is covered.

- The S4 will not have as nice of a throttle response compared to the M3, SLK32 or any other cars because it's turbo charged. Remember, there is no replacement for displacement and turbos lag.

- The S4 is a high-performance vehicle much like the RX7 or Supra. You *WILL* need to take extreme care of the vehicle to avoid problems. That means you'll have to use synthetic oil, check your hoses, let the turbos cool down, warm up, etc. If you think all this is too much or fussy, buy something else. The S4 is not for you.

- The S4 is brand new around $66K. My Miata is brand new $30K. A used S4 long block is $7K US. A used Miata long block is $1.5K US. You get the idea.

- As far as reliability, the S4 does have some issues with the intake hoses. The worst one is the throttle body intake hose which tends to wear out and crack, leaking precious charge air into the atmosphere. I've heard that the IC hoses are troublesome too. There are aftermarket alternatives which work really well. I can give you info on those. PM me. According to Alpine Autowerks, the S4 suspension has a ball joints which tend to squeak a bit when worn.

- Turbos blow up from time to time.

=================
Well, I'm still waiting on the dealer to work out some of the little aesthetical problems on my 2000 Nogaro Blue. If they don't fix them, I'm not buying the car. I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW, Glenmore Audi has a APR chipped S4 for sale. $49K. It's got 70K on it and also a variety of issues.

turboMiata
10-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
Although the RS4 is being built exclusively as an Avant, the RS designation does not imply that it is an Avant. RS is the ultimate designation for an Audi product line, and many RS series cars will be introduced over the next few years, many in sedan form.

Absolutely right. The RS6 is now available in Europe. Check out this link to an RS6 sedan. 4.2L, turbocharged can of whoop ass!

http://www.s-cars.org/rs6/Gallery/gallery.html

E36M3
10-18-2002, 10:27 AM
I was lucky enough to drive the RS6 on U.S. soil.. click here for my review:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1358&highlight=RS6

Originally posted by turboMiata

Absolutely right. The RS6 is now available in Europe. Check out this link to an RS6 sedan. 4.2L, turbocharged can of whoop ass!

http://www.s-cars.org/rs6/Gallery/gallery.html

rage2
10-18-2002, 10:27 AM
- Audi has an exceptional 4 year full warranty. The warranty covers everything and I mean everything. They will give you new brake pads

MB has the stupid brake pad replacement warranty too. They denied kenny's replacement, 9000km on a set of pads and rotors was considered abuse (the warranty only goes to 12000km or something). Scammers!

- The S4 is brand new around $66K. My Miata is brand new $30K. A used S4 long block is $7K US. A used Miata long block is $1.5K US. You get the idea.

Already looking into long block replacements? :D

- Turbos blow up from time to time.

And that gives a great excuse for upgrading the turbo :D. I've heard the stock S4's turbos do die quite fast when they're chipped and boost raised to really high levels, but that's true for most turbos anyways.

The S4's a mean machine. turbomiata better build that beast up!

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Hey turbomiata: do you have a S4?

bksze
10-18-2002, 11:22 AM

Well, I'm still waiting on the dealer to work out some of the little aesthetical problems on my 2000 Nogaro Blue. If they don't fix them, I'm not buying the car. I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW, Glenmore Audi has a APR chipped S4 for sale. $49K. It's got 70K on it and also a variety of issues.

you bought the blue one? i went in to take a look at the car two days ago and they said someone picked it up on saturday. congrats . . . i hope it runs well for you . . . because the interior on that silver one is a POS!!!

turboMiata
10-18-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Already looking into long block replacements? :D

And that gives a great excuse for upgrading the turbo :D. I've heard the stock S4's turbos do die quite fast when they're chipped and boost raised to really high levels, but that's true for most turbos anyways.

The S4's a mean machine. turbomiata better build that beast up!

Hehe! It never hurts to find out how much a new engine is before blowing it up! I've got to get the Miata up to 235RWHP first! For now, I'm looking for a daily driver to replace my Quattro4KS.

(BTW, the K04 upgrades are not that expensive)

Hey turbomiata: do you have a S4?

Not yet! See below.

you bought the blue one? i went in to take a look at the car two days ago and they said someone picked it up on saturday. congrats . . . i hope it runs well for you . . . because the interior on that silver one is a POS!!!

That's the one! It might become available to you if they don't do all the things I'm asking them to do. We'll know next week.:thumbsup:

max_boost
10-18-2002, 03:42 PM
What year is the S4 you are buying? I remember you talking about possibly a WRX as well hehe

turboMiata
10-18-2002, 03:55 PM
2000. my wife won't let me get the wrx. she thinks it'll end up to be another project car. =)

bksze
10-18-2002, 05:05 PM

That's the one! It might become available to you if they don't do all the things I'm asking them to do. We'll know next week.:thumbsup:

if you don't mind me asking, what sort of things are you asking them to do for you? and also besides the nasty interior on the silver s4 . . . what other problems are there with that car??? thanks

max_boost
10-18-2002, 10:19 PM
2000. my wife won't let me get the wrx. she thinks it'll end up to be another project car. =)

LOL!

So will the S4!

Unless you buy a Toyota Echo, I'm sure you will mod it

turboMiata
10-18-2002, 10:48 PM

if you don't mind me asking, what sort of things are you asking them to do for you? and also besides the nasty interior on the silver s4 . . . what other problems are there with that car??? thanks

The silver car was APR chipped and the owner must have bagged it to death. If you are interested in it, check the service records. I think the rings had to be replaced on it. I was just told to stay away from that one.

Among other things, I wanted them to replace the windshield, repair some interior trim and leather.

bksze
10-19-2002, 12:48 PM
icic, thanks for the info . . . much appreciated because that's definitely good for bargaining if i do decide to pick it up . . .