PDA

View Full Version : Personal Trainer

Old 'n Chunky
05-15-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey all,

I am in desparate need of getting myself back into shape after 15 yrs or so of minimal activity after leading an active healthy lifestyle. I have decided upon signing up with a gym and using a trainer to get me started and keep me going in the right direction, at least until I become more informed and comfortable in deciding what is best for me.

I guess my question is 2 part: 1) I live a few blocks from Gold's Northland or less than 10 min drive from World's Sports Club. Would Gold's be a good spot (sure is convenient) or would World's or even YMCA Crowfoot be better? 2) Which one of these places have good qualified trainer's, or do they all have them? How would I know I am going to get a good one?

w3apon
05-15-2004, 09:10 AM
IMHO get a trainer that actually physically looks like they know what they are talking about. Certs are nice to have, but a paper only trainer doesn't have the real world experience.

In my gym the trainers are "magazine trainers", and they certainly don't practice what they preach. (smaller gym downtown)

I would also avoid the trendy this-is-what-the-latest-muscle-mag-says-to-do trainers.

Trainers are good to get you back into a program, but you should also try to find a partner to keep you motivated.
Good luck and enjoy the shakes the first couple of weeks :)

Dope Dealer
05-15-2004, 12:30 PM
I couldn't agree with w3apon more. Most of the trainers I've come across are only good for showing you the proper techniques and what not. I find way better routines on the internet and diet plans.

How much do Personal Trainers make anyways? What kind of education do they go through?

davidI
05-15-2004, 12:37 PM
My advice is to sign up on a fitness related forum or bodybuilding forum and go from there. Most trainers seem to concentrate on 'fitness' in a sense where they do all of these silly little excercises to give you a whole body work out. Most people are more interested in looking fit or strong or skinny etc. which uses completely different dieting techniques and lifting practices.

Perhaps use a trainer to get started and then expand your knowledge from there and deviate from the routine they set out for you. The only good thing about a trainer is that you will have to go if you have a set-up time with them whereas you can always wuss out if it's just you going.

EnRich
05-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Goto Golds trust me... It'll motivate you, all the guys round you are in shape, and you'll work harder to get like them

RAGINGHULK
05-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Which ever gym you chose, make sure you do some leg work your self as W3APON had stated. The last thing you want to do is get back/incorrect advice from someone who doesn't know what the $uck they're talking about.

RAGINGHULK

pinoyhero
05-18-2004, 10:08 AM
If you don't find the answers your looking for or have more quesytions please feel free to ask me in my questions thread MADANTES......good luck with geting back in to shape though.

nickyh
05-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by w3apon
IMHO get a trainer that actually physically looks like they know what they are talking about. Certs are nice to have, but a paper only trainer doesn't have the real world experience.

In my gym the trainers are "magazine trainers", and they certainly don't practice what they preach. (smaller gym downtown)

I would also avoid the trendy this-is-what-the-latest-muscle-mag-says-to-do trainers.

Trainers are good to get you back into a program, but you should also try to find a partner to keep you motivated.
Good luck and enjoy the shakes the first couple of weeks :)

I totally agree. Be careful who you choose, some may hurt you and it's not doing any good. My trainer is a bodybuilder, he's taken classes and is certified in nutrition also. He still takes classes to keep up to date. Gives supplement advice etc....
In 3 months with him - i lost 20lbs and 9% body fat (had the total six pack)
It helps being accountable to someone else that way you are not too willing to cheat - but a good workout buddy can do that for you also, you don't really need a trainer for that.

Marsh
05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
I couldn't agree with w3apon more. Most of the trainers I've come across are only good for showing you the proper techniques and what not. I find way better routines on the internet and diet plans.

How much do Personal Trainers make anyways? What kind of education do they go through?
Their usually Kinesiology majors or Bio Mechanics majors...something like that
I don't think they make a whole lot of money though...i could be wrong.