PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust?

James
10-17-2002, 04:34 AM
I am putting a new Exhaust sytem on my car, and with some of the other MR2's like mine ive seen with Aftermarket Exhaust it looks like they took out atleast 3 feet of piping including the Cat. On the Stock 2's, out of the headers, the piping goes down for about 2 feet, then has an "S" Pattern out to the tailpipes. Would i get better performance by getting rid of the 3-4 extra feet of pipe? plus that would be loud as hell woudlnt it? Is it Illegal to take off the Cat? A car like mine, passed me the other day with aftemarket Exhaust and it sounded REALLY good, but i didnt think to stop to ask him what he did:banghead: ......The last thing i want is some horrible sounded Exhaust, kinda like the tinny sound of the stock exhaust!:tongue:

LaughingTiger
10-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by James
I am putting a new Exhaust sytem on my car,Is it Illegal to take off the Cat? A car like mine, passed me the other day with aftemarket Exhaust and it sounded REALLY good, did:banghead: ......The last thing i want is some horrible sounded Exhaust, kinda like the tinny sound of the stock exhaust!:tongue:

Only in Alberta is it not illegal to cut the cat out.... There are no polution laws... In B.C. and other provinces you have to do an emmisions test every year before you can register your auto..

It's kinda a gamble when finding an exhaust that sound how you want it w/ diff. engines... Since in your case you don't have much room between the engine and the muffler it's going to be loud and may not be smooth and put..put...put a little when your rpm's drop... If you go single , maybe try a cannon style muffler, not to small, cut the cat out and put a small resinator somewhere after and before the muffler, this will help deaden some of the sound, give you a little back pressure for torque, and it will sound good... When you go straight pipe to muffler on Jap cars, sometimes it's to much for the muffler to muffel resulting in a bad sound.... If you need any mufflers(any style) PM me I sell performance mufflers, access. etc.... I will give you a very good deal... (I can probably beat any competitor's price too..)

P.S. ....When you want the engine PM me.... Full engine for under 2K...maybe installed too... It's hard to find a price now.. My friend couldn't give me an exact answer, but I estimate under 2k at least...

:)

James
10-17-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks, ya i'll contact you for sure about the Exhaust, hopefully within a month.....$2000 for the Enigne is wicked!:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2002, 09:22 PM
dude contact mr. boost on this forum...hes has a turbo mr2 exhaust to get rid of, make him an offer...that would be cool to see that on your car

James
10-17-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
dude contact mr. boost on this forum...hes has a turbo mr2 exhaust to get rid of, make him an offer...that would be cool to see that on your car

Whats the size of that? how much apx, is there a thread about it?:dunno:

redline_13000
10-17-2002, 11:11 PM
guy i have the best idea...go to cdn tire..buy one of those red cherry bomb tube style mufflers...looks great and will outperform any trd, mugen, greddy, or apc mufflers out there:rofl: :rofl:

GP_DrIvEr
10-20-2002, 12:02 PM
man my buddy has an 86 mr2 almost exactly like yours... he took out the cat and all that extra piping put a new muffler on and it is SOOOO Loud (but not ricey) and sounds really good...

ill ask him what kind of exhaust he got

James
10-20-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GP_DrIvEr
man my buddy has an 86 mr2 almost exactly like yours... he took out the cat and all that extra piping put a new muffler on and it is SOOOO Loud (but not ricey) and sounds really good...

ill ask him what kind of exhaust he got

Thanks man, i dont want it to be super loud, just sound good, i guess a couple resinators will solve the noise problem.

B18C
10-20-2002, 05:21 PM
Don't take off the cat. It's stupid and irresponsible. You won't get much, if any, power from it at the expense of the air we breathe. If you can fork out the cash for an exhaust don't be a cheap ass and get a freakin performance cat.

LaughingTiger
10-20-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by B18C
Don't take off the cat. It's stupid and irresponsible. You won't get much, if any, power from it at the expense of the air we breathe. If you can fork out the cash for an exhaust don't be a cheap ass and get a freakin performance cat.

Remember it's an 86 MR2....I don't think they make to many after market products for it....especially a after market performance cat...... Any by the way...It would give out the same polution as a straight pipe.....Do you even know how a catalitic converter works?????:dunno:

Go check out the price of a factory made cat......$400-$800
Much more expensive then a performance one....There expensive
because they are lined w/ real platinum(GOLD), this causes a reaction w/ the carbon-monoxide creating cleaner emissions..
not many people know that... The factory cats usually rust out anyway.. It would be good to cut it out, last longer and if James put the supercharged engine in it will give out great improvements in performance...

B18C
10-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by LaughingTiger

Remember it's an 86 MR2....I don't think they make to many after market products for it....especially a after market performance cat...... Any by the way...It would give out the same polution as a straight pipe.....Do you even know how a catalitic converter works?????:dunno:

Go check out the price of a factory made cat......$400-$800
Much more expensive then a performance one....There expensive
because they are lined w/ real platinum(GOLD), this causes a reaction w/ the carbon-monoxide creating cleaner emissions..
not many people know that... The factory cats usually rust out anyway.. It would be good to cut it out, last longer and if James put the supercharged engine in it will give out great improvements in performance...

Well, I bought a high-flow cat for $150. How much is an exhaust system for that car go for?

James
10-20-2002, 11:55 PM
B18C, I guess your Right about it not giving me much of a power Gain by taking out the Cat, on this Engine. But i Hope to have a Supercharged Engine in there by Spring (crossing Fingers)....and About the Pollution thing, I do care about the Air we Breathe, but honestly i Drive a 1.6l MR2, Have you seen the kinda smoke that Big Trucks Produce!( Semi's):rolleyes: ......Its not going to make a difference.....You live in Edmonton now anyway, who cares about the Air here!:tongue: j/k

B18C
10-21-2002, 01:42 AM
I guess but honestly you are not going to save much money by not getting a cat and the performance gains are not going to be as big as you think - even with a supercharged car. High-flow cats these days are VERY good and flow really well.

In the end it's your choice but if you are going to spend $1000 bucks on an exhaust, the extra $50-$75 isn't going to kill you. Just work for a couple more hours and you are good to go.

James
10-21-2002, 02:45 AM
I wont be spending $1000 on Exhaust thats for sure, i'll consider getting a cat,but if i get rid of it, all i will need is like 2-3 feet of
2 1/2" pipe, a couple resinators, and a Muffler, Done! If i threw a cat in there, I would have to come up with a wierd Design to make it work ( i'll most likely be installing it myself with the help of a Freind) and it wont/shouldnt be THAT complicated.:thumbsup: