PDA

View Full Version : Bens VUB Photos - Car Photos are UP!!!!!!

Ben
05-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Here is the Gallery of all the Car photos! Models Up Tomorrow!

I missed a few cars because I got to the other end and my card was full, wend back to dump it and got tied up in other stuff. My appologies for anyone I missed.

Anyhow, CLICK HERE! (http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/index.html)

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/images/9685.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/images/9694.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/images/9629.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/images/9643.jpg

Idratherbsidewayz
05-16-2004, 06:36 PM
If you got any pics of the ladies, can you keep them wallpaper sized, or 1600x1200... :D

962 kid
05-16-2004, 06:36 PM
how are you resizing ben? ever tried one of these: http://download.com.com/3000-2204-10267190.html?tag=lst-0-2

mass resizing program

Zephyr
05-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I have yet to find a program that has the ability to do this though:

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/Kaila/kaila001.jpg

Shadow inside a border.

Man your camera is soo powerful you can already see girls what they look like without makeup on...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

aXc
05-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Man your camera is soo powerful you can already see girls what they look like without makeup on...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
hyori......:love: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Fluidic
05-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Can't wait for the photo's Ben!! :)

Forcefed
05-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Post now please ben, i want to see some ladies

Moonracer
05-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Forcefed
Post now please

lol I'm sure he'll get right on it! :rolleyes:

Kobe
05-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Ahhh ben can you please PM me when u get this done,...wow 700 images... Alot of models? :)

air_mikey
05-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic
Can't wait for the photo's Ben!! :)
:werd: ben's always has the best pictures.

EK 2.0
05-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Creating the thread now, to put a bit of a stop on the pm's and messages from people requesting them.

I am in the process of resizing and building a gallery for them so hold your horses. :)

3072x2048 image size makes for a rather huge picture if I dont, as well as a photo gallery over 1GB in size.

Hope to have up sometime tonight.

Originally posted by Kobe
Ahhh ben can you please PM me when u get this done,...wow 700 images... Alot of models? :)

Did you just not read the entire thread or what??...

Ben
05-17-2004, 12:36 AM
CAR PHOTOS ARE DONE!!! CLICK THE LINK!!!

YAYAYAYAYA
hahahaha
:nut:

NotbadSTi
05-17-2004, 12:42 AM
AWESOME !

EK 2.0
05-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Ben
CAR PHOTOS ARE DONE!!! CLICK THE LINK!!!

YAYAYAYAYA
hahahaha
:nut:

Great pics Benster...but hey, did we ever have any doubt??

*EDIT*...BENSTER YOU RIZZOCK URRYWHURR MAN!!:thumbsup:

aXc
05-17-2004, 12:46 AM
the nsx....:drool:
nice pix btw...

err...nvm..... so the other 550 are models? :O

Ben
05-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by aXc
the nsx....:drool:
nice pix btw... i thoguth there were 700 though?? or are u running out of space..?

There are, however for sake of my time and energy, I removed similar or duplicate photos, and as you can see and read in my original post, I only posted up photos of cars tonight...the other 2/3 are of the models, haha

Redlyne_mr2
05-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Ben

There are, however for sake of my time and energy, I removed similar or duplicate photos, and as you can see and read in my original post, I only posted up photos of cars tonight...the other 2/3 are of the models, haha
Good call, people only seem to be posting models. Who gives a damn about them

aXc
05-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Ben

yeah .. sorry... just noticed it hehehehe

Illusionsir
05-17-2004, 01:02 AM
Pictures are Flawless as usual ben! Very well done! :bigpimp:

Ben
05-17-2004, 01:04 AM
And because everyone loves models, this I hope will tide you over until tomorrow, if not, seek professional help ;) It's car night tonight.

http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m001y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m002y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m003y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m004y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m005y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m006y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/models/m007y.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/Kaila/kaila001.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/Kaila/kaila002.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/Kaila/kaila003.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/Kaila/kaila004.jpg
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/VUB-05-15-04/Kaila/kaila005.jpg

Tuner1
05-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Great work Ben, you've got some excellent shots in there! Your zoo pics are amazing too...talent at work! I sure hope we can convince you to come and snap a few at Bimmerfest ;)

Rob

Ben
05-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by E36S50B32
Great work Ben, you've got some excellent shots in there! Your zoo pics are amazing too...talent at work! I sure hope we can convince you to come and snap a few at Bimmerfest ;)

Rob

haha, Thanks Rob! Stop twisting my arm, hahaha, you bet I'm down for Bimmerfest.

Clem
05-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Awesome pics as usual Benny :thumbsup:

SinisterProbeGt
05-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Awsome photos ben:thumbsup:

Ben
05-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Clem
Awesome pics as usual Benny :thumbsup:

I appreciate you accomodating my photo requests Clem!

Good seeing you again!

ZorroAMG
05-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Once again the Duck Hunter hits the mark! Great shots Ben....

shadowz
05-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Amazing as usual!

Dj_Stylz
05-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Great pics ben!!!

nosegrindR
05-17-2004, 10:42 AM
nice pics ben:thumbsup:

l/l/rX
05-17-2004, 11:08 AM
wow such awsome pics!!! :eek:

cocoabrova
05-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Ben is the man, wikked pics:thumbsup:

SpoonEK9@STRD
05-17-2004, 12:31 PM
booo ben!:thumbsdow
More girls dammit

BebeAphrodite
05-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Ooo
another set of great photos!

Clem
05-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I appreciate you accomodating my photo requests Clem!

Good seeing you again!

Not a prob bro. Good to see you as well. Sorry I couldn't get Kaila over to the Beyond booth for you.

RiCE-DaDDy
05-17-2004, 12:43 PM
excellent work as usual, ben

CivicDXR
05-17-2004, 01:03 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work Ben, OKAAAAAYYYY!!!

GDCivicSi
05-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Great work Ben :thumbsup:

Forcefed
05-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Ben I luv you:angel: Awesome pics bro

Chris

veedub
05-18-2004, 01:50 AM
:eek: :thumbsup: ben ...... damn !!! always good :thumbsup:
and of course the girls :love:

qrankz
05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Excellent pics man. Wish I had a better camera.

l/l/rX
05-18-2004, 05:01 PM
hey ben do you have anymore girl pics? or are these pics that we see here all the girl pics? post more!

JAYMEZ
05-18-2004, 06:19 PM
The people demand more Ben :D

Ben
05-18-2004, 06:32 PM
haha, ok ok, I'll get some more pics ready, patience is a virtue.

Ben
05-19-2004, 12:25 AM
okay...

This is a big FYI to the ungratefuls out there...

First of all. I'm disappointed in a few of you. I am not a charity. I did not fork out $1000's in equipment, and hours upon hours of my time so that you can do the following:

-Use up my time and money for your sole benefit
-Rip off my work by removing the logos and such and in the worst, claim it as your own. :thumbsdow
-Not asking, but Demanding full sized photos for FREE!
-Expect the work done before I'm even home from the event
-Insulting the models who donated their time and talent to be there for your benefit
-Continue asking for photos even after I've asked for your patience.

While I can wholeheartedly appreciate your eagerness to see my work, and I appreciate the complements so very much, some of you have to understand that I make no money doing this, and I have a Full Time Job. I cannot be doing charity work when I have stuff I need to pay for. I cover this show on behalf of an arrangement I have with beyond.ca admins.

Also, to the few individuals who messaged me about full sized model photos, my advice, get a girlfriend, or purchase a print...I'm not going to be a charitable donor of your unilateral wet dreams and other strange fantasys.

If this is unacceptable to you, go take your own photos of your models or cars to the calibur of Benyls, Melindas or my own. There are reasons that we get access to things where the General Public do not. Please respect our work and effort, and understand it takes time. Beggers most certainly CAN NOT be choosers.

Thankyou for your cooperation with this matter.

Melinda
05-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Ben
okay...

This is a big FYI to the ungratefuls out there...

First of all. I'm disappointed in a few of you. I am not a charity. I did not fork out $1000's in equipment, and hours upon hours of my time so that you can do the following:

-Use up my time and money for your sole benefit
-Rip off my work by removing the logos and such and in the worst, claim it as your own. :thumbsdow
-Not asking, but Demanding full sized photos for FREE!
-Expect the work done before I'm even home from the event
-Insulting the models who donated their time and talent to be there for your benefit
-Continue asking for photos even after I've asked for your patience.

While I can wholeheartedly appreciate your eagerness to see my work, and I appreciate the complements so very much, some of you have to understand that I make no money doing this, and I have a Full Time Job. I cannot be doing charity work when I have stuff I need to pay for. I cover this show on behalf of an arrangement I have with beyond.ca admins.

Also, to the few individuals who messaged me about full sized model photos, my advice, get a girlfriend, or purchase a print...I'm not going to be a charitable donor of your unilateral wet dreams and other strange fantasys.

If this is unacceptable to you, go take your own photos of your models or cars to the calibur of Benyls, Melindas or my own. There are reasons that we get access to things where the General Public do not. Please respect our work and effort, and understand it takes time. Beggers most certainly CAN NOT be choosers.

Thankyou for your cooperation with this matter.
Wow couldn't have said it better myself Ben, thank you. I took one night off from my computer to retreat and try to sleep off a brutal cold that I got somehow over the weekend. I got online at about 11:00 pm to have 4 pm's, 2 emails and a bunch of people online asking me if my v8less pictures are done yet. Give me a break people, you want us to take the pictures over a 2 day weekend, run home, spend upwards of 10+ hours editing them only so you can look through them for 30 seconds, make a reply about how you like them and then never think about them again? And those that do think about them again, ask for free copies to put up on your computer screen and show to all your friends which also is pretty unreal.

I have spent ~$10,000 on a degree, more then $15,000 in equipment and I make approximately $80 an hour doing photography for individual clients. I know Ben makes some good coin on his special request photography as well. Bernard is well on his way too and I'm sure he will soon be able to turn photography into a lucrative practice as well. Why should a car show be any different than our day to day stuff? I was the event photographer on behalf of v8less. I made special arrangements with them for this and they are the only ones that are entitled to full sized shots of anything I took this weekend. There are 2 or 3 other people that I have also made arrangements with (traded favors ect) for larger shots of what I took.

Having your car car in a picture that Ben, Bernard, or I took does not entitle you to a big copy of the print. If you don't want your car to be photographed, then don't enter it in a show.

Ben also made a good point about the models. What gives you the right to judge them the way you do? I have seen more then 5 threads in this section of the forum saying how awful you think certain girls look. They can't change who they are (nor should they have to) and they are proud of the way they look. And trust me, it takes guts to go to a mostly male event and be critically judged by so many 'experts' on what you look like. and don't say "they choose to do this, so they should be prepared for critism." cause that's bullshit. Photoshopping a penis onto a girl is totally unreal. Making a thread of comparing who's hotter is brutal as well. Right there you're asking to either give someone an inflated ego or make them think that they are somehow worthless. Either way it's a lose lose situation. Dispite what you guys think, WOMEN ARE NOT MEAT FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT and some of the attitudes from beyond members towards females is sickening.

I don't do what I do for the general public, I do this for me and for the people I work for. I love hearing feedback from everyone and just like Ben, I do appreciate the enthusiasm of people who want to see the work I've done but please be patient. The three of us are giving you pretty good high quality work for you to enjoy for free. So at 10 AM on sunday morning, it's a little unreasonable to be asking if the 800+ pictures I've shot the day before are ready to be put online yet.

We enjoy doing what we do and we love that we have all of you to share it with. But please be more reasonable with your requests of us and our time and we might be a little more happy to do a few favors for people in the future :)

JAYMEZ
05-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Give us name of the pervs PMing you , lets hunt them down :devil: ... I totally understand where you guys are coming from , like ben said before , patience is a virtue , seriously why would people PM you for pics , damn pervs.

benyl
05-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Wow. I don't know what to say. I think that it has all been said. I can tell you that I have been up till 3 AM on Sunday, Monday and it is 1 am today. I posted pics up in one thread and 30 seconds later when I refreshed the thread, I had a response saying how good they were. How did that person look at each pic so fast when there were over 50 pictures posted?

Trust me, I like compliments. It validates that I am doing something right. People have said, why don't you use this program, or that program to make editing faster? Well, not every shot comes out. I took 979 photos on Friday and Saturday. I only posted about 100. I still took 1-2 minutes to look at each picture to make sure I wanted to discard it or keep it. In other words, I spent nearly 24 hours just looking at the photos. I know that Ben spent ALL day Sunday going through his pictures.

There is a good reason that Ben's and Mel's pics look so good. They take time to take the shot and when they look at them, they post only the best ones. They don't just post any pictures like some folks here (including me).

I have been told that there is another board here in Calgary where someone has stolen, yes STOLEN my pics to say that they took them. Why? does it give you validation? Do you think that you will get hired?

I am starting to ramble here, but one thing that really pisses me off about the beyond members is their total disregard for the models feelings. How self concious would you feel half naked in front of 20 guys taking your picture? I am not a good looking guy, and that is why I hide behind a camera. I want to see all you great hot shots show up at the next meet and stand in front of my camera... I will gladly take your picture and post it up... FULL SIZE no less.

Get a clue folks, I had $10,000 worth of gear at VUB this weekend. Cameras, lenses, laptops, etc... and if I wasn't lucky, I would have had to pay $10 to get in to take these photos. Doesn't seem right to me.

I post pictures for people who weren't there, to get better at my hobby, and to serve the folks at beyond because I like it here. Don't push us out... I know there are some really good photographers who don't post here anymore for the very same issues that we are encountering here.

/end rant

7thgenvic
05-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

Wow couldn't have said it better myself Ben, thank you. I took one night off from my computer to retreat and try to sleep off a brutal cold that I got somehow over the weekend. I got online at about 11:00 pm to have 4 pm's, 2 emails and a bunch of people online asking me if my v8less pictures are done yet. Give me a break people, you want us to take the pictures over a 2 day weekend, run home, spend upwards of 10+ hours editing them only so you can look through them for 30 seconds, make a reply about how you like them and then never think about them again? And those that do think about them again, ask for free copies to put up on your computer screen and show to all your friends which also is pretty unreal.

I have spent ~$10,000 on a degree, more then $15,000 in equipment and I make approximately $80 an hour doing photography for individual clients. I know Ben makes some good coin on his special request photography as well. Bernard is well on his way too and I'm sure he will soon be able to turn photography into a lucrative practice as well. Why should a car show be any different than our day to day stuff? I was the event photographer on behalf of v8less. I made special arrangements with them for this and they are the only ones that are entitled to full sized shots of anything I took this weekend. There are 2 or 3 other people that I have also made arrangements with (traded favors ect) for larger shots of what I took.

Having your car car in a picture that Ben, Bernard, or I took does not entitle you to a big copy of the print. If you don't want your car to be photographed, then don't enter it in a show.

Ben also made a good point about the models. What gives you the right to judge them the way you do? I have seen more then 5 threads in this section of the forum saying how awful you think certain girls look. They can't change who they are (nor should they have to) and they are proud of the way they look. And trust me, it takes guts to go to a mostly male event and be critically judged by so many 'experts' on what you look like. and don't say "they choose to do this, so they should be prepared for critism." cause that's bullshit. Photoshopping a penis onto a girl is totally unreal. Making a thread of comparing who's hotter is brutal as well. Right there you're asking to either give someone an inflated ego or make them think that they are somehow worthless. Either way it's a lose lose situation. Dispite what you guys think, WOMEN ARE NOT MEAT FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT and some of the attitudes from beyond members towards females is sickening.

I don't do what I do for the general public, I do this for me and for the people I work for. I love hearing feedback from everyone and just like Ben, I do appreciate the enthusiasm of people who want to see the work I've done but please be patient. The three of us are giving you pretty good high quality work for you to enjoy for free. So at 10 AM on sunday morning, it's a little unreasonable to be asking if the 800+ pictures I've shot the day before are ready to be put online yet.

We enjoy doing what we do and we love that we have all of you to share it with. But please be more reasonable with your requests of us and our time and we might be a little more happy to do a few favors for people in the future :)

thats why we love you!!! your amazing at what you do!!! thanks Melinda!

Illusionsir
05-19-2004, 08:27 AM

Bravo,

that is hands down the best way i have ever heard it put.

i know i personally really appreciate the hard work you mel, ben, and benard (sp) (just to name a few) have done. i have never been dissapointed with anything you`ve presented. top notch all the time!

Thank you!

Ben
05-19-2004, 08:46 AM
I would like to clarify that I'm not asking for money, just respect and understanding.

Kamen
05-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Totally understood. YOur guys' hard work is greatly appreciated. Awesome pics! :thumbsup: Take it easy yo

Dirty_SOHC
05-19-2004, 09:24 AM

Well said sweetie, There should be more respect and paitence to Melinda, Ben and Benyl for all the work they have done. if you cant wait for them. Then go out yourself and take your own pictures.

cycosis
05-19-2004, 11:44 AM
tight photos man.

Khyron
05-19-2004, 11:52 AM
On the other hand, I don't think it's always fair to rag on your fans either.

Sure, having people clammoring for your work is a nuissance, but it's no different than people wanting a music group to produce another song, or a director to do another movie. The demand itself is a compliment.

I mean, if Ben didn't post a message with some sort of ETA (because as you've noticed, most people don't know the work that goes behind the scenes) then it would be unreasonable to expect no one to PM or post asking where they are.

PMing him after he's posted to say he's working on it, or pm'ing in a demanding or rude manner deserves a smack-down. Demanding prints or expecting them to do a bunch of free work just for you is also rude.

One thing though, friendly ribbing doesn't work very well in a forum unless you really know the person. IE - if it was a friend of mine who I knew personally doing the pics, I would probably send some "Hurry up biatch, don't keep me waiting" emails - of course I'm joking, but that wouldn't work very well if I sent them to Mel or someone who only knows me as an aquaintance. I suspect a lot of the "demanding" emails fall in this category. Because the photographers get more exposure on the boards, other people talk to them on a more personal level than they would otherwise (celebrities have this same problem).

And cropping off the logo, or stealing the photos - that's just scum.

As for the model comments from the local neanderthals, I don't even want to get started into that.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey Where The Hell are all the Pic....ummm nevermind...:D

I think Ben, Mel and Benyl understand that we are all very excited to see our own cars and selves in the great work they do. That is a given, their work speaks for itself. WE need to understand that they do their best to give us what we want in a timely, professional (and usually FREE) manner and that is ALL we can expect from them. There is no need to re-iterate what they all said perfectly, so in my own way:

STFU and wait till they are GOOD AND READY to show us the pics you pushy fuckers...

LOL

PS. I PM'd all of you for some model pics in full size okay???:tongue:

Ben
05-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Not ragging on my fans at all, just showing them the whole picture behind the scenes, some people seem to think I live in a world of make believe, with flowers and bells and leprechauns and magic frogs with funny little hats ...

In regards to the Friends vs Aquaintace thing, well of course, my friends joke around and stuff about getting the pics up and stuff. It is however the people I've never met, who are new members, PM'ing me or msn'ing me and demanding the photos and telling me how to do my job. Thats what I'm upset about :)

As for time lines, I said I would have the car photos up some time that night and I did. As for the models, I will not be posting those other than the ones already online. I'm doing this out of respect.

Cheers.

Loose
05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Ben
:)
As for the models, I will not be posting those other than the ones already online. I'm doing this out of respect.

Cheers.

damn you ben, damn you :banghead:

j/k

Melinda
05-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
On the other hand, I don't think it's always fair to rag on your fans either.

Sure, having people clammoring for your work is a nuissance, but it's no different than people wanting a music group to produce another song, or a director to do another movie. The demand itself is a compliment.

I mean, if Ben didn't post a message with some sort of ETA (because as you've noticed, most people don't know the work that goes behind the scenes) then it would be unreasonable to expect no one to PM or post asking where they are.

PMing him after he's posted to say he's working on it, or pm'ing in a demanding or rude manner deserves a smack-down. Demanding prints or expecting them to do a bunch of free work just for you is also rude.

One thing though, friendly ribbing doesn't work very well in a forum unless you really know the person. IE - if it was a friend of mine who I knew personally doing the pics, I would probably send some "Hurry up biatch, don't keep me waiting" emails - of course I'm joking, but that wouldn't work very well if I sent them to Mel or someone who only knows me as an aquaintance. I suspect a lot of the "demanding" emails fall in this category. Because the photographers get more exposure on the boards, other people talk to them on a more personal level than they would otherwise (celebrities have this same problem).

And cropping off the logo, or stealing the photos - that's just scum.

As for the model comments from the local neanderthals, I don't even want to get started into that.

Khyron
You talk as though we are celebrities or something and I'm not exactly sure where that comparison comes from...?

Sure, celebs are always in demand to put out a new single, but they get paid to put that single out. It's their job to do so. We are demanded to pump out our pictures at a quick rate just because our supporters want us to. Not incredibly fair with all things considering :(

As for the rest of the comments, I thank you guys for your understanding and support :)

Moonracer
05-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

Well said sweetie, There should be more respect and paitence to Melinda, Ben and Benyl for all the work they have done. if you cant wait for them. Then go out yourself and take your own pictures.

:werd:

Khyron
05-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Ben
In regards to the Friends vs Aquaintace thing, well of course, my friends joke around and stuff about getting the pics up and stuff. It is however the people I've never met, who are new members, PM'ing me or msn'ing me and demanding the photos and telling me how to do my job. Thats what I'm upset about :)

But that's the funny part - those newbies and people you've never met have probably been lurking for awhile and feel like they KNOW you, even if you have no idea who the hell they are. I forget the details but a newly-made movie star mentioned in an interview how she was in a restaurant and some fan came up and asked how her surgery had gone - they girl was like "WTF, I don't even know your name, yet you know everything about my life?". People are weird but that's how it goes.

All those Surferbaby threads etc made you more personable than the average joe. I almost fell into that trap when I met Mel - she had no idea who I was but I'd seen so many pictures, read threads etc I was on a different social level and had to adjust right away.

Khyron

Khyron
05-19-2004, 01:19 PM

You talk as though we are celebrities or something and I'm not exactly sure where that comparison comes from...?

Ahah, but you ARE a celebrity as far as the forum goes. Cast of thousands. :D

Sure, celebs are always in demand to put out a new single, but they get paid to put that single out. It's their job to do so. We are demanded to pump out our pictures at a quick rate just because our supporters want us to. Not incredibly fair with all things considering :(

Sorry - bad analogy on scale. Better example is a fan-film maker, or a share/freeware programmer. They do it for free and for the love of what they are doing (or to get noticed) - but they can get thousands of demanding emails from people that love their stuff. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying expect it, take it as credit for what you are doing and try not to let it bother you.

Check out http://maddox.xmission.com/ - he put up an april fools page and got hit with two thousand emails bitching at him about it. Fame is a curse. :D

And of course I'm just offering a viewpoint - I like looking at all your pictures and don't expect anything about it.

Khyron

Ben
05-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

but they can get thousands of demanding emails from people that love their stuff. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying expect it, take it as credit for what you are doing and try not to let it bother you.

Yeah, I expected it, and now I spoke about it, to curb any further requests!

Khyron
05-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Yeah, I expected it, and now I spoke about it, to curb any further requests!

I bet your inbox is quiet for at least two days. :D

Khyron

iceburns288
05-19-2004, 05:15 PM
15,000 dollars on equipment? Why can't y'all just buy a $1000 camera and keep it for a while?:dunno: :D

When you do car pics for someone (privately), how many do you take? Usually I see about 10-15 from each shoot out of Ben, and I'm sure the owners want to keep more than that. How many drafts do you take for the final result? In terms of percentage of final shots?:dunno:

Dirty_SOHC
05-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
15,000 dollars on equipment? Why can't y'all just buy a $1000 camera and keep it for a while?:dunno: :D

She is starting her career and needs this equipment:rolleyes:

Zephyr
05-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Ben and Melinda we all heart you guys a lot (well at least the non newbie and old members) and thanks for sharing what you see through the eyes of your lenses! To those who aren't thankful and are demanding, may you rot in hell.

iceburns288
05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

She is starting her career and needs this equipment:rolleyes:

Werd... just wondering, what makes up all this? I assume that the amount of lenses/cameras has to end somewhere. I think Ben or Benyl mentioned laptops, and I guess you need a printer, a website, some other stuff I can't think of... I dunno, it seems to add up to about 8-10,000 dollars.:dunno:

Ben
05-19-2004, 05:32 PM

When you do car pics for someone (privately), how many do you take? Usually I see about 10-15 from each shoot out of Ben, and I'm sure the owners want to keep more than that. How many drafts do you take for the final result? In terms of percentage of final shots?:dunno:

What I post online is only a few, because thats all I need to share.

When I do private photoshoots, I generally shoot about 100 and keep half to 3/4. Also, why bother posting 50 pics of the same car? Gets a bit redundant after the first dozen, and I'm not gonna take photos of the glove box and junk.

air_mikey
05-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Nobody should be demanding Ben, Bernard, and Melinda to do anything. They're doing all of us a favor by posting their pics that they took, for free. Its not like anyone is paying them to post the pics. the pics are theres and they'll post them whenever they want. Even if they posted them a year later everyone should still be grateful they even posted them. Getting high quality photos for free...why is anyone complaining :dunno:

You guys do amazing work and I'd like to thank you guys (as well as the rest of the ppl that post their pics) for posting these pics especially cuz I couldn't go to the show. :thumbsup:

63square
05-19-2004, 05:38 PM
I agree with what the three of you said, I don't know the two of you, Melinda, and Benyl at all and I only know Ben a little. From the few times that ben and I have talked at CVD events. I think that most people on here have no idea what it takes to do what the three of you do. I know I don't but from what I have read so far it is a lot of work. Some of you annoying people should either take your own pics or learn some patiences.

As for talking bad about the models, it is definetly not a nice thing to do. How would you like it if someone came into your place of work and started calling you names or saying bad things about you. These girls are trying to make it in modeling and that is something that they love to do. Just like all of us love cars, how do you feel when someone looks at your car and says that its ugly or I can't beleive they did that to there car.

I realize this was not said anywhere near as good as Melinda, Benyl or Ben but I thought I would add my $.02 and say that you all do an amazing job at what you do. I am jealous, I wish that I could take good photos like you three.

Props to the photographers and models who took time out of there lives to do something that they love.

Also how would we go about maybe purchasing some pics from you Melinda, my brother won three trophies and I was too slow to get up there and take all three, plus yours will definelty be better. Plus I think you took a couple pics of his beetle, maybe I could get some copies of those too.

Chester
05-19-2004, 06:25 PM
awesome pics Ben:thumbsup:

I think i saw somebody posting some of your pics with your site cropped off:thumbsdow

air_mikey
05-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Chester

I think i saw somebody posting some of your pics with your site cropped off:thumbsdow
kick their ass :guns: :guns:

Melinda
05-19-2004, 06:58 PM

Werd... just wondering, what makes up all this? I assume that the amount of lenses/cameras has to end somewhere. I think Ben or Benyl mentioned laptops, and I guess you need a printer, a website, some other stuff I can't think of... I dunno, it seems to add up to about 8-10,000 dollars.:dunno:
$15,000 adds up pretty damn quick. My camera was $5000, just one of my lenses was $2,300...plus a $700 flash unit, tripods and monopods that add up to over $300, lighting equipment, other lenses, special functioning chords, my laptop and necessary computer programs, a printer, my website, extra batteries for my camera (at $110 a piece) and I figure I still need approximately $5000 for my studio set up and one final lens that I'd like to purchase. When all is said and done, I'll have spent more then $20,000.

And yes, like Dirty_SOHC said, this is my career. I just finished a degree in photojournalism and I am ready to start paying all my bills taking pictures and doing freelance journalism work. I'm not complaining about having to buy my equipment, for any career you need to spend money to make money :thumbsup:

And 63square, please pm me and let me know who your brother is and what he looks like and we can work something out :) Thanks again!

BebeAphrodite
05-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Ben, Benyl, and Melinda (alphabetically):
I read what each of you wrote and I whole heartedly agree. You guys have amazing photographs and it's unfortunate that there are those out there who take advantage of your generosity. Don't let those people get you down! And great work! :D

iceburns288
05-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Ehh.... I never thought a camera could cost that much...:eek: I thought the best cameras were like 2800USD, or like 4200CAD.

I notice you have those giant 16 inch lenses... why are they so big and so expensive? I thought each lens was like 300-500US...:dunno: :eek:

Melinda
05-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Umm I think the most expensive digital camera on the market is $11,000 CAD and I've seen L-series lenses go for as much as $10,000 (but those are for the hardcore sports photographers and what not.) My first lens that I ever got was $500 CAD and that was a fixed 50 mm lens...

The lenses are so big and expensive cause they have a huge range of zoom, AMAZING quality and very good speed which is all very important for taking good pictures :) So as you see, it all adds up very quickly :)

l/l/rX
05-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
Ben, Benyl, and Melinda (alphabetically):
I read what each of you wrote and I whole heartedly agree. You guys have amazing photographs and it's unfortunate that there are those out there who take advantage of your generosity. Don't let those people get you down! And great work! :D

heh, i might be one of those people who want more pics. i dont mean it out of disrespect though. i took many pics of the models myself cept the quality of my pics will never be the same like your guys. hopefully after going through many rolls of film i can get crystal clear pics ~_^

but also at the same time ben should know that i appreciate his work very much! as he has gotten a few pms from me complimenting his work. and asking him for tips on how to take certain shots.

Akagi Redsuns
05-20-2004, 01:53 AM
First off, great pics as usual Ben. Too bad there wasn't any time to add the more artistic pictures in there :) Always enjoy those interesting shots you pull off as I seen with the GTi and the Benz showcased in the other threads. I do understand it's a carshow though and usually you want to see the entire car and not just an specific aspect of the car.

I do appreciate the fact that Ben and Melinda have taken the time and energy to share the different pics with us. Be it people's personal cars, carshow, etc. The Zoo pics come to mind, great crisp upclose pictures. We all lead busy lives and I can appreciate the time you have to take to go through the pictures, adjusting, cropping, watermarking, bordering, uploading......etc.

I tried my hand at taking pictures.....I think I am an beginner at best. I went a rally over the winter and took a crapload of pics using a digital camera. Tried different ways to frame a shot, actions shots with car in focus w/background blurred...etc etc. Actually pulled off a few great shots. Took a ton of pictures and some of my friends wanted to view it. So I figured, why not use a webpage and upload the pics. Then I needed to get a program to generate the webpages. Uploading the pics from the camera takes a while...then go through the pics, toss the ones with bad focus, blurry pics thanks to the slow shutter, bad framing shots. Then rename the pics because I hate the numerical names the camera uses. Then resize the pictures because coming out of the camera they at a large resolution and taking about 3.5MBs/pic....and that is from a lowly 3.2MP camera. Then use webpage program to generate the HTML files and thumbnails...then upload the pics. SHAW webspace blows as they only give you 10MBs so had to split it over 2 accounts.

After I did that once, I think that was the last time I did anything like that since it took up so much of my time and energy....and the end result was just some people got to see some pics for a few minutes. Mind you I am not a photgrapher and am pretty slow doing these things and it wasn't fun for me. So yeah, point being that I know it's not a simple and quick process and the pics will be up when they will be up and there is no need to be demanding. None of the photgrapher's rants are out of line and I do hope it makes people realize that there is a lot of time and effort being used and hopefully some respect and patience has been gained.

Thought I post my 2 cents in here........getting late and hopefully everything make sense :)

slideways
06-28-2004, 10:56 PM

$15,000 adds up pretty damn quick. My camera was $5000, just one of my lenses was $2,300...plus a $700 flash unit, tripods and monopods that add up to over $300, lighting equipment, other lenses, special functioning chords, my laptop and necessary computer programs, a printer, my website, extra batteries for my camera (at $110 a piece) and I figure I still need approximately $5000 for my studio set up and one final lens that I'd like to purchase. When all is said and done, I'll have spent more then $20,000.

And yes, like Dirty_SOHC said, this is my career. I just finished a degree in photojournalism and I am ready to start paying all my bills taking pictures and doing freelance journalism work. I'm not complaining about having to buy my equipment, for any career you need to spend money to make money :thumbsup:

! i agree in my trade i have spent that in tools ( mechanic ) and i would not just change someones oil pump for free just caused they asked me . i do small things for my friends butonly my friends ....evryone else gets charged . as it should be for photos as well ...thats her career . (as you can tell my job dosent involve alot of spelling )

SinisterProbeGt
06-28-2004, 11:23 PM
wow just read this thread again and wow this is the reason why we are doing this
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=50472&goto=newpost

Skyline_Addict
07-13-2004, 02:27 PM
hmmmm, I guess alot of people don't realize the complete and voluntary dedication and commitment of our beyond.ca photographers!
I organized the soccer meets and I am really greatful that Ben showed up to take almost a couple hundred photos of the game.
This was done on Ben's own time, which translates to money (or "opportunity cost" to all you Econ junkies).
The fact that we get to see many of the photos he takes, for free is something we should be greatful for.
I'm sure that when Ben says that he will post his pictures up, he will!
Just be patient!
If you want your picture to come in a certain size, can't you do it yourself? It takes a minute of your time, or less. Yeah, you're not getting paid to do it, but I'm sure someone (Ben, Melinda, etc.) can relate!

Ben
07-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
hmmmm, I guess alot of people don't realize the complete and voluntary dedication and commitment of our beyond.ca photographers!
I organized the soccer meets and I am really greatful that Ben showed up to take almost a couple hundred photos of the game.
This was done on Ben's own time, which translates to money (or "opportunity cost" to all you Econ junkies).
The fact that we get to see many of the photos he takes, for free is something we should be greatful for.
I'm sure that when Ben says that he will post his pictures up, he will!
Just be patient!
If you want your picture to come in a certain size, can't you do it yourself? It takes a minute of your time, or less. Yeah, you're not getting paid to do it, but I'm sure someone (Ben, Melinda, etc.) can relate!

Thanks for understanding. I think the issue for the most part is over, but it's good to see that more and more people understand the work and dedication involved byt a few of us on this forum that decided to spend a few more bucks on camera equipment than everyone else and do this as a part time business (or more).

In regards to the size portion...it was the demanding of full size images, not resizes of the web ones that was the issue.

Cheers.

CivicDXR
07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
wow, this thread has been brought back...

as much as I only know Ben, Benyl, and Melinda in passing and not much more, I am in full agreeance with the stand that they've taken... they do this on their own time and funds for us, and we should be happy with what we get to see as opposed to demanding something from them for free...

once again, keep up the good work guys!

rage2
07-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Maybe it's time for a new rule...

Don't bug the beyond photographers for pics 10 mins after an event ends. That will get you banned.
;)

Seriously though, the work is tough. I play with videos after each event, and it takes soooo much time to get it working well. :thumbsup: to all you hard working photographers.

benyl
07-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Don't bug the beyond photographers for pics 2 days after an event ends. That will get you banned.
;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
07-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Benyl, can I get that pic of...:D

Melinda
07-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Don't bug the beyond photographers. That will get you banned.
This one is even Better! :D

Ben
07-14-2004, 12:55 AM
hahahaha, ah damn, funny stuff.

Melinda
07-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
wow just read this thread again and wow this is the reason why we are doing this
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=50472&goto=newpost
:clap: Yes and we thank you for it :) Everyone should come out and see what's new on the gallery walls :) We havent been posting many pics lately but that doesnt mean we haven't been taking them!