PDA

View Full Version : Stock 97 Supra - Should I modify?

Meteorite
05-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi.
This seems to be an interesting forum. Even the bickering seems entertaining. There are some knowledgeable people here, as well as some obviously depraved individuals. I will probably enjoy reading these posts, and perhaps asking a few questions of my own where appropriate.

My daily driver is a 1987 Accord, however I also have a 19 year old 550 cc Kawasaki motorcycle and a 1997 Toyota Supra, which is the passion of my life. I have left it completely stock, mostly because of the bankloan, but now that it is approaching payoff time, and it only has 72,000 km on it, I am wondering if I should modify it. Or is it rare enough that I should leave it alone and take care of it? I know that it is an extremely rare car. That's another reason why I am reluctant to modify it.

Well, this being my first post, hopefully I will get some ideas as to what others would do.

Weapon_R
05-16-2004, 11:01 PM
I really think that you should leave it alone, unless you thoroughly research the parts you are going to install. Nothing is worse than seeing a beautiful car get ruined with sub-par aftermarket parts.

turbo_equiped
05-16-2004, 11:07 PM
a rare car indeed!!
as weapon r said...i think you should leave it the way it is..!!
as long as you happy with the looks of it!!
if you aint..then you can think about getting a body kit!!
or just modifing the engine...!!
completely upto you and the way you look at it!!
by the way
welcome on beyond:thumbsup:

CelicaST-162
05-16-2004, 11:08 PM
I agree with Weapon_R, they are beautiful cars in stock form. But if you want to modify it, I would say some minor engine upgrades (turbo..etc). As for exterior appearance, just dont go over the top. Some nice wheels that match the car, an exhaust.

eb0i
05-16-2004, 11:17 PM
A supra stock is still damn nice. Perhaps some nice wheels will do it good :)

Meteorite
05-16-2004, 11:28 PM
I agree with you on the wheels, Celica. I will put the stockers up in the attick for posterity. It already has twin turbos and a six speed, so I wonder what can be done to upgrade the turbo? As it is I drive it pretty gently, as I have been paying $680 a month for this car since 2000, and still have a year to go. It sucks back the premium, and will always be a toy.

New wheels is something to seriously look into. The stock 5 spoke design look nice, but the aftermarket has so many incredible rolling works of art to choose. It will be a tough selection.

davidI
05-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Is the Supra N/A or TT?

N/A I'd leave it alone or work on Turboing it....

TT I'd upgrade to a single ball bearing turbo, bigger exhaust etc. Maybe some nice dished rims. I don't think you should put on a kit or anything like that because it could lower the value of the car in the sense of it's rareness. Engine work, rims and maybe a nice stereo set up is where I'd spend my money...

davidI
05-16-2004, 11:29 PM
You beat me hitting submit :nut:

Altezza
05-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Nice ride...the 2JZ engine is near bullet proof. There are tons of time proven reliable mods available for that vehicle, both aggressive and subtle. Finding one that is stock and has remained stock is somewhat rare (at least during my search for an MKIV).

Check out www.supraforums.com. There is tons of information there. Either way, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun driving that car!

Redlyne_mr2
05-16-2004, 11:35 PM
It's a personal preference it isn't the rarest of the 4th gens however if it is mint then if youre going to do mods then at least make them reversable. Rims, suspension, intakes, exhaust are all fairly easy to install and the car can be put back to stock quickly again should you change your mind.

Meteorite
05-16-2004, 11:36 PM
TT! 6 Speed. Silver! Bone Stock except for new Toyo Proxes. Less than 73,000 km. Never driven in rain. Garage stored. My testes are too small for this car. It has 320 hp. I usually drive a 110 hp 12 valve Accord.

By the way, which thread were you referring to you in your signature, Celica? Who would be the next Steven King?

I have been surfing around in here reading some of these threads and some of them are piss your pants funny.

CelicaST-162
05-16-2004, 11:39 PM
When I mean wheels that match your car I mean some simple 5 spoke gunmetal (whichever color you prefer), deep dish that gives your car a whole new stance, and overall agressiveness. Like what davidI said, upgrade to a single big turbo for better spool up and efficiency. IF you want a body kit go with something thats a little more square for the lack of better words. Not the kind of kit that has the gay big mouth and big curves and the such. Do yourself a favor, don't take advice from ricers..lol.

Heep
05-16-2004, 11:59 PM
What you want to do is your choice, but as has been mentioned, bone stock MKIV's are super hard to come across. Right now, price differences between modded ones and stock ones aren't all that different, but if you plan on keeping the car for quite some time, a stock, mint car will always go for prime.

Remember also that everyone has a different taste in mods, severely reducing your market if you decided to sell a modded car.

Of course it's up to you, but my advice is if you want to mod, only mod with easily reversable parts (rims, intake, etc) and keep all the stock parts.

NotbadSTi
05-17-2004, 12:30 AM
It is a very nice car !

I guess it depends, Supra is still a very fast car, even in today standard ( 0-60 mph in 5.4 second ). It is a very good car to do upgrade as well, can get lots of power ! and not expensive to do so. however, if you consider to resell the car, then keep it stock, more modify you do on the car, less you can sell the car for, since there is only 70K kms on the car.

Enjoy it ! I love Supra TT ! however, can never find a good one to buy !

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks all. I will leave it stock, but replace the wheels. I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of racing anyways, and quite frankly, the motorcycle is more thrilling to ride than a car, so the Supra stays stock and comes out on weekends.

I will be lurking around the gallery looking for inspiration regarding wheels though. The deep dish ones with grey spokes to match the silver appeal to me.

Oh well, enough about my car. I want to read about your B18/b20s, STi's, DSM's and bikes.
Also old 3rd generation Accords.

hjr
05-17-2004, 10:49 AM
good choice. a mean set of wheels and you should be very happy. I agree that it should stay stock. (i dont reallly count wheels as a big mod)

pr0
05-17-2004, 11:06 AM
:eek: keep it stock!

Master D. Bater
05-17-2004, 11:12 AM
You should really do it up. Those things have a lot of potential for fast street cars. Because of their gearing, you will not max out like most hondas with a 5 speed. I saw a supra video compliation and it was awsome! Hulk Hogan has a very nice supra as well. But maybe you should sell your supra and get a K car cuz there is one video that had a 12 sec supra get beat by a 10 second K car! hehe ;)

Akagi Redsuns
05-17-2004, 12:04 PM
The Toyota Supra is well built car and the engine can take a lot. I would say just mod it up to BPU standards, doesn't hurt the engine, get the turbos working a little more and get a nice moderate boost in power. Other than that, doesn't really need anything, perhaps wheels or something to make it distinctive, but the MKIV Supra IMO looks great out of the factory (ok, maybe the wing could be lower).

Just my 2 cents.

C4S
05-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Is it a Local car ? or from state ? I rarely see 97 supra in Canada . I think Toyota canada only sold them in 93-96 ?

Nice car anyway ! I have been looking for one since day one ! :D ( but I give up already ... )

Heep
05-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Meteorite
Also old 3rd generation Accords.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of the few Hondas I really like :D

Seanith
05-17-2004, 06:13 PM
:thumbsup:

Props on keeping it stock and just getting some wheels. Make sure you get a quality forged wheel, like volks or something. Make sure you get something deep dish as well (even though i know you probably will ;) ).

Some deep dish gunmetal 19"s with a polished lip would be prime :eek:

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Is it a Local car ? or from state ? I rarely see 97 supra in Canada . I think Toyota canada only sold them in 93-96 ?

Nice car anyway ! I have been looking for one since day one ! :D ( but I give up already ... )

I bought it in spring 2000, a private sale from a middle aged guy, a restaraunt owner in White Rock BC. It had been insured in White Rock since Dec, 1997 and had no "decs" (accident or insurance claims through ICBC) and was not shown as being an out of province car. It had import documentation through a dealership in Seattle to a Toyota dealership in White Rock, and when I bought it the car had just under 50,000 km. I have been told not to say what I paid for it, however I could have picked up a nice Porsche for what this Toyota cost.

The guy who had my Supra now has a Viper GSXR (I believe it's called). He also has some restored muscle cars and old motorcycles. I saw a 50 year old 500cc Norton Manx in his living room when I was buying the car, and apparently he has a whole bunch more in his triple car garage, in his million dollar house overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
Needless to say, I believe that the guy could afford to maintain the car properly. I still get it serviced at the same dealership that the guy dealt with. It's history is completely verifiable.

I was not specifically looking for a TT Supra. This car just came up, and my dad told me about it. My dad is into cars, but no longer has any collectables, but had a mid 60's 327 4 spd. Stingray and an 88 Lotus Turbo Espirit, among others, quite a while ago. I had the Accord and wanted a "Real Nice" car that would hold its value and give me some pride of ownership. My "short list" was actually pretty long. and quite frankly, I did not want to spend as much as I did, as my budget for payments was about $500 a month. I blew that figure out of the water, and have been in the poorhouse since. Thank God I don't smoke or drink too much.

max_boost
05-17-2004, 09:51 PM
I think Supra's are one of those cars that if I ever owned one, I would never sell it!

You should post up some pictures!

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?:bigpimp:

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 09:57 PM
The guy was an acquaintance of my dad's. The car was $50,000. I choked at first, and then after checking out the production numbers decided to take the risk. I believe it is still worth every penny I paid for it.
Am I deluded?

max_boost
05-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Meteorite
The guy was an acquaintance of my dad's. The car was $50,000. I choked at first, and then after checking out the production numbers decided to take the risk. I believe it is still worth every penny I paid for it.
Am I deluded? How much were they brand new? $68,000? With the low kms and if it was mint condition, sure I think it's worth it. The car is a legend, a must have for collectors although I don't think many of us are at that point yet. You should send me a PM when you sell, I might be interested someday hehe:thumbsup:

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 10:21 PM
The original bill of sale from White Rock Toyota (or rather, some numbered company that did business as White Rock Toyota) showed the pre-tax cost of the car to be $64,885.00, exclusive of documentation fees and a few other charges they dinged Gerry (the orig. owner) for.
Dad and I figured "50 even" was fair, however for those who paid $36K that year for a visually identical non turbo model, I got ripped. I think they are jealous.

I plan to be buried in this car when I die.:D

Dad says this car is quicker than his old Lotus.

C4S
05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
How much were they brand new? $68,000? With the low kms and if it was mint condition, sure I think it's worth it. The car is a legend, a must have for collectors although I don't think many of us are at that point yet. You should send me a PM when you sell, I might be interested someday hehe:thumbsup: If u bought it in 2000 for $50K, then it is not bad .. they probaby still worth $mid30K for a 94/95 today, and probaby a 97 can worth near $40K today.

When it came out in April 1993, it was $63k plus taxes ( same price with a bare bone M3, but Supra came fully loaded, beside the spoiler, which was extra $800~)

However, in mid-1994, Toyota Canada offered a $10K rebate for the car, (well, those super japanese cars couldn't sell back then ! ie: a Rx7 twins turbo, discounted from $47K to $34K ! )

Anyway, very nice car ! and still in my own "best car I want" list !

DonJuan
05-18-2004, 10:21 AM
I agreee with everone else and say to just keep it stock. But if you really want to modify it, only get TRD parts for it, as this won't hurt the apreciation of this car in the future.

nosoup4u
05-18-2004, 04:28 PM
I got mine 4 years ago 94 black on black with 52000km for 35000.00,
car was bone stock, it was just mint. I think i got lucky finding that one

Loose
05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
If I had that car I'd go balls deep! I'd pesonally start with a set of teins, and 18's, then work into the motor a bit.

Just be careful though, you start modding a Supra and you're finances get sucked into a black hole as you want more and more and more.....:burnout:

Meteorite
05-18-2004, 10:18 PM
In a year the car will be paid for. I have a year to figure out what I want to do and plan for it. If I do mod my car I will use TRD stuff, and will not do anything that cannot be reversed.

However I also wouldn't mind upgrading from my old Kawasaki to something more entertaining like a CBR1000 or a R6, depending upon the results of test rides. Maybe even the KTM Duke, or something Italian.

A lot can happen in a year. Time to research stuff.

DeathBy240
05-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Hey I was born in White Rock! Glad your keeping it stock, I love these cars, I have only seen 3 or 4 of them on the street here in Edmonton.

2fast4me
05-22-2004, 02:51 PM