PDA

View Full Version : Acetone as Fuel Additive?

Bonka
05-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Hey guys.

I was talking to my friend today and he mentioned how adding about 80-100ml of Acetone into your gas tank before you fill up will help improve mileage. He told me how since he's been using it, he's seen about an 80km increase.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on this and is this really safe and would there be any short-term and/or long-term negative effects?

I didn't find any negative comments on the few internet articles I came across.

Anyone have any information or comments on this?

rice_eater
05-17-2004, 02:44 AM
why not just use toluene:burnout:

GTS Jeff
05-17-2004, 02:49 AM
acetone eats rubber if i remember correctly from organic chem.

Kor
05-17-2004, 03:03 AM
If gas companies could easilly make fuel that was more efficient than their competitors, they probably would milk it for all it was worth...

I did a quick search on additives on google and found this:

"Some of the better octane boosters are aniline, nitro benzine and toluene. Additives like acetone and sulfurs can be very corrosive and should be avoided."

hyperwhite
05-17-2004, 10:51 AM
sorta off topic, but does anyone one know or remember what the F1 cars were running on back in the 80's. it was some crazy chemical additive that i cant remember and now its bugging me :nut:

dishrag
05-17-2004, 11:59 AM
xylene. and a couple ounces of atf will keep it from eating through the fuel system.

R-Audi
05-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Any ideas where to get toluene?

JCX
05-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

You might want to call some of the chemical supply places in town. I'd make it clear what you plan on doing with it too. Be careful though, you don't want to spend much time in an enclosed space with a tin of this stuff. :zzz:

rage2
05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
xylene and toluene are additives used to increase octane. Not sure what Acetone does tho. However, any additive you add your stock ECU would have to be recalibrated for it if you want gains from it. No additive will just magically give huge fuel economy, unless of course the burn changes the oxygen content enough to trick the stock o2 sensor to run a much leaner mixture... in which case, your car would go nuts at WOT.

dishrag
05-18-2004, 09:46 AM
toluene = paint thinner, go to Colour Your World. All these chemicals are known carcinogens. Another thing to keep in mind is they don't vaporize well below 20 deg. C.

ecstasy_civic
05-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by rage2
xylene and toluene are additives used to increase octane. Not sure what Acetone does tho. However, any additive you add your stock ECU would have to be recalibrated for it if you want gains from it. No additive will just magically give huge fuel economy, unless of course the burn changes the oxygen content enough to trick the stock o2 sensor to run a much leaner mixture... in which case, your car would go nuts at WOT.

So if I was to tune a car on toluene, how much would have to be added everytime to make the tune 100% worthwhile?

stockEK
05-18-2004, 11:42 AM

As an octane booster, it is just raising the flash point which allows for more timing (fuel is less likely to pre ignite)

I doubt it changes the burn characteristic to the point where the A/F would be different.

Some ECUs will be able to take advantage of this, and dial in some more timing (providing the knock sensor stays happy)
We usually equate this with more power, but it could also translate into better economy (given the same driving habits)

Power (and economy) gains would be minimal though.

rice_eater
05-18-2004, 01:04 PM
toulene is a main ingredient in paint...so any paintstore or hardware store, though it's cheaper to a big jug, spread in dosages per gas tank. It's actually pretty cheap.

Hollywood
05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
If you but toulene make sure u get pure toulene only. And it is not that cheap imo. I have a big drum of it. Made the exhaust super stinky too. I had a hard time at red lights with the window down.

I did not notice any gains really, but I think it's more of a cumbustion inhibitor ie: allows the fuel to burn more effeciently.

rage2
05-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
So if I was to tune a car on toluene, how much would have to be added everytime to make the tune 100% worthwhile?
Way too much. Easier to buy 94 octane :).

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

ecstasy_civic
05-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Way too much. Easier to buy 94 octane :).

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
thank you:)

R-Audi
05-19-2004, 12:34 AM
I was thinking using the Toluene to make 100 or 103, for those special days, since I can reprogram my ECU to accept it. I am on 94 constantly.

rage2
05-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Just buy a drum of VP MS103 (103 octane). Way easier than dealing with toluene.

rhiebert
05-19-2004, 07:39 PM
It's a no-brainer when it comes to warranty or API & SAE specs. If you can afford to be on your own, ie. racing or a car that's not owned by the bank or an OEM's leasing outfit, go for it.

Hollywood
05-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Just buy a drum of VP MS103 (103 octane). Way easier than dealing with toluene.

Ya skip the toulene for sure compaired to 103. Price difference 103 will be cheaper after it all.

R-Audi
05-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Any idea the cost of a drum? Anyone willing to split it? I would want to try it out first, if anyone has an around to sell....

eturnl
05-22-2004, 02:54 AM
I guess I'm a purist when it comes to additives.
Get more power from a better tune.
I guess it's like building your body on steroids, there is always a side effect.

Metushelah
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Info on Acetone as a gasoline additve. According to www.pesn.com/2005/03/17, acetone reduces surface tension in gasoline (fuels) which causes more complete vaporization, meaning less wasted fuel, hence increased gas mileage due to improved thermal efficiency. Normally any unburned fuel would exit the tailpipe or past the rings. Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like propane. The degree of improved gas mileage (15-35%) depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. Results will vary with fuel octane choice. As acetone does increase the octane one should use a lower octane fuel at the pump. It is suggested (based on tests) that you add 2.5 to 3 oz of 100% pure acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline (less for diesel fuel). Additional benefits are reduced emissions by up to 60% in gasoline fueled engines and reduced black smoke in diesel engines. Adding more acetone doesn't improve mileage any further but will continue to improve emissions. Downside; don't spill any acetone on that paintjob or plastic. Checkout the web site noted above. Add the acetone using a measured container with a long funnel or tube. Don't store the acetone in plastic bottles. Wearing gloves is a good idea.

Hollywood
03-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Metushelah
Info on Acetone as a gasoline additve. According to www.pesn.com/2005/03/17, acetone reduces surface tension in gasoline (fuels) which causes more complete vaporization, meaning less wasted fuel, hence increased gas mileage due to improved thermal efficiency. Normally any unburned fuel would exit the tailpipe or past the rings. Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like propane. The degree of improved gas mileage (15-35%) depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. Results will vary with fuel octane choice. As acetone does increase the octane one should use a lower octane fuel at the pump. It is suggested (based on tests) that you add 2.5 to 3 oz of 100% pure acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline (less for diesel fuel). Additional benefits are reduced emissions by up to 60% in gasoline fueled engines and reduced black smoke in diesel engines. Adding more acetone doesn't improve mileage any further but will continue to improve emissions. Downside; don't spill any acetone on that paintjob or plastic. Checkout the web site noted above. Add the acetone using a measured container with a long funnel or tube. Don't store the acetone in plastic bottles. Wearing gloves is a good idea.

= too much hassel.

Ben
03-26-2005, 02:56 PM
dont fuck with acetone, gives you liver cancer among other things.

benyl
03-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Don't a lot of cars now come with plastic gas tanks?

I wouldn't be using acetone...

ehos
03-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Wow, so many people still spreading the octane myth.

You don't need higher octane gas. The only reason you should use it is if your engine is having pre-detonation (or high boost conditions).

The rest it's just a waste of money.

But go ahead, use 94 Octane if you think it will make you more power.

GTS Jeff
03-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ben
dont fuck with acetone, gives you liver cancer among other things. Make sure your nail-polish-removing girlfriends know that too heh.

Metushelah
03-30-2005, 10:42 PM
For information on the affects of acetone go to: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html.

tink21
06-07-2007, 08:27 AM
If I am not mistaking there is no rubber lines or parts in the fuel system - fuel systems have n-buna and neoprene that resist over 200 ingredients in gasoline, including acetone.

Acetone does work! It may increase fuel mileage a little bit but the real benefits are a tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel will stop the black smoke when the you put it at full throttle. Good acetone will greatly reduce emissions in any vehicle. It has been proved that acetone can raise mileage with 2 or 3 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline - must be 100% pure acetone-
dont get it on your paint :(

Hemi RT
06-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Home Hardware Carries it.

jason2214
06-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Is there any places in Calgary to get higher then 94 octane gas?

Alpine Autowerks
06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
sorta off topic, but does anyone one know or remember what the F1 cars were running on back in the 80's. it was some crazy chemical additive that i cant remember and now its bugging me :nut:

it wasn't just an additive..the stuff they used would self ignite when exposed to sunlight, it had to be heated to 60-80 C by a heat exchanger to atomize properly and the stuff cost more than scotch ...a 200 L tank was worth $ 30000