PDA

View Full Version : awd vs awd

Raz
05-17-2004, 02:48 AM
http://www.automotriz.net/2003/galeria/images/1024x768-Dodge-Magnum-01.jpg

- - VS. - -

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/meets/wrx/kc3.jpg

Just thinking about it, and Subaru WRX's are kinda cool :)

Buut, then again so is the new Dodge Magnum coming out soon, with a Hemi and awd :)

So Im thinking awd wagon vs awd wagon - they are both relatively matched for speed and hp/weight ratio. One has poor-er gas economy (dodge) but also more luxo stuff...

The subie can be had for ~25grand for an '02 while a '05 magnum will set me back atleast ~40 ...

Hmmmm, sort of kind of leaning towards subie, but I have no idea :)

lets vote! and any feedback, and other suggestions would be great! :D

- Rasmus

:burnout:

EK 2.0
05-17-2004, 09:28 AM
the fact that you got owned from hotlinking was kinda funny...as for the 2 choices...I think its comparing apples and oranges...they were built for 2 different purposes...and I think the TQ from the Hemi would mean you are on the throttle les during around town dawdling so the mileage might be very debatable...

As for what I would choose right now, the Magnum...it looks great, plus the Subie as great a platform it is for taking mods...it can be confused with the lesser 2.5 wagons...

*redneck voice* Plus, its got a Hemi...*normal voice*

Raz
05-17-2004, 10:08 AM
I got pwnzed for hotlinking?

Yea, hemi is kinda cool and all that. And yes, it is like comparing apples to oranges, but both vehicles will be used for the same, everyday driver with some punch, that also works in winter, and it's gotta be a wagon for sleeper/practical purposes.

If I can get a used subie with a lil bit of warranty left on it, I think i'll go with the subie.

But sure, I'm going to a mopar dealership and testdriving a 300c (same engine, weight as the magnum) see how it does.

- Rasmus

Mckenzie
05-17-2004, 10:30 AM
I am really liking these new Chryslers with the Hemi in them. That 300C is really sharp and I think the Magnum is nice as well. As mentioned, they are apples to oranges though. Subbie being more sporty and they Magnum being just a big beast with a big powerplant.

If I had the cash, I would go with the Chrysler. Also, I am not sure if there are engine problems with the subbie anymore but a friend of mine had a newer impreza and the engine blew on it (like 2001 or so model)....that might just sw3ay me over to the Chrysler side.

1badPT
05-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Very different cars even though they share some things in common:

-Both are true AWD platforms - most AWD's are really FWD's that transfer torque to the rear wheels when the fronts slip.

-Both have tons of power - they differ on how that power is made - the Scuby is forcefed, the Magnum is all engine

-Both are wagons, but the scuby is more of a compact whereas the Magnum is more mid/full-size.

Differences

-Scuby is an import, might get you more envy from your friends
-Magnum is brand new, its cool to drive something that looks like nothing else on the road
-Scuby has a manual transmission available, the Magnum will only have auto, but autostick is available.

I like the Magnum, but I love mopars :thumbsup: so I'm biased - if it was the choice between the scuby and almost anything else though, my pick would be the scuby. If you don't have a strong brand preference though, test drive them both and decide from that :clap:

hjr
05-17-2004, 10:35 AM
well from a performance standpoint, the chrysler has the edge. From a looks standpoint (IMO) the chrysler has the edge, but in the rally standpoint the wrx has the edge (not that its really a rally car).

Xtrema
05-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Looks: Magnum

Engine: Magnum's Hemi (but not the base 3.5L)

Interior Desgin: WRX

Interior Comfort: Magnum

Handling: WRX (less weight, smaller car)

AWD: WRX (provened)

1/2 of Magnum is built from Mercede's E-class parts bin. The suspension setup is direct rip off from current E sedan. So this could be a good thing.

That.Guy.S30
05-17-2004, 11:37 AM
why dont you step up from a 02 wrx wagon and check out the legacy/outback's?

they are in the same price category as the magnum. plus they are more in the same size category too!

That.Guy.S30
05-17-2004, 11:39 AM
and for the record i am biased! lol go subaru go!
on a seriuos note i think the new 05 legacys/outbacks will be a better choice than to compare the magnum too than a wrx any day of the week.

CKY
05-17-2004, 12:10 PM
i'll go with the subbie, simply because its not domestic, IMO 95% of the domestic cars made these days are still POS compared to imports, even though it has improved greatly since the past. the subbie is still the way to go:thumbsup:

CKY
05-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
and for the record i am biased! lol go subaru go!
on a seriuos note i think the new 05 legacys/outbacks will be a better choice than to compare the magnum too than a wrx any day of the week.

:werd: , those cars look sooooooooo damn sexy, :hitit:

hatetank
05-17-2004, 03:23 PM
apples and oranges.

I own an '02 WRX sedan and love it, but I am jonesin' for more power :(

africano
05-17-2004, 10:24 PM
I think if your plannin to mod it, go with the subie.

If your just looking for a bitchin' cruiser go with the magnum.

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
why dont you step up from a 02 wrx wagon and check out the legacy/outback's?

they are in the same price category as the magnum. plus they are more in the same size category too!

outback and legacy slow and ugly, new one better but still. That's comparing apples and oranges.

Why you looking for a wagon though, room? Just do us all a favor and buy a STI. J/K though, your choice. But if you got 40g's to spend, spend it right :clap:

That.Guy.S30
05-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by africano

Why you looking for a wagon though, room? Just do us all a favor and buy a STI. J/K though, your choice. But if you got 40g's to spend, spend it right :clap:

personally i love the look of the new 05 legacys. they are not even out yet and im in love. i think the wrx's/impreza line look so much uglier than the new legacy/outback line.

africano
05-17-2004, 11:51 PM
168hp vs. 227hp. HECK, 168 vs 300 for that matter. Or if we're talkin' hemi here 345.

You say outback, I see Crocidile Dundee selling station wagons to soccer moms.

You say wrx, or sti for that matter. I see beautiful rally machines.

Can't really compare them in my mind, but hey that's my opion. And liking outbacks is yours. So to each his own.

CKY
05-17-2004, 11:59 PM
I think if your plannin to mod it, go with the subie.

If your just looking for a bitchin' cruiser go with the magnum.

outback and legacy slow and ugly, new one better but still. That's comparing apples and oranges.

not just better, ALOT better, the legacy won the japan 2003-2004 car of the year award. And just like thi thi, i, personally am i love the with the 2005 models already, and it does make the impreza's look like grabage

That.Guy.S30
05-18-2004, 12:38 AM
168hp vs. 227hp. HECK, 168 vs 300 for that matter. Or if we're talkin' hemi here 345.

You say outback, I see Crocidile Dundee selling station wagons to soccer moms.

You say wrx, or sti for that matter. I see beautiful rally machines.

Can't really compare them in my mind, but hey that's my opion. And liking outbacks is yours. So to each his own.

um dude the new ones come with 280hp? with the turbo or you can go with the h6 which is 260hp? and they are priced the same price as the wrx's. so yes i would take it.