PDA

View Full Version : Temporary insurance

joseph
05-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey I'm going to red deer to pick up an integra in a couple weeks I don't have any insurance right now but I'm gonna need some kind of coverage to drive it back. Does anyone know where i would get something temporary from? I've been told most insurance companies don't offer temp insurance.

hjr
05-18-2004, 01:41 AM
yes, you need insurance. You should be able to get temp insurance no problem. i have done it on many occasions (granted my vehicle is in their data base)

ryder_23
05-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Yeah, isnt it called, Intransit insurance you can get???

joseph
05-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Do you get that at a registry or at an actual insurance company?

3G
05-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by joseph

Last month I called the registry inquiring about this, they said they dont sell temporary insurance anymore.

joseph
05-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Oh that sucks so then what do i do?:dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
05-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by joseph

You call your actual insurance company regarading this. Probably going to need at least the VIN number of the car as well. Let them know you are buying this car and need some temp. insurance on it to drive it home. The insurance company will fax you the temporary insurance card right away.

At least this is what happened with me when I bought 3 used cars and also a brand new car as well.

joseph
05-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Yah. But I'm not with any insurance company right now so they probly won't insure me temporarily if i'm not with them right?:dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
05-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Probably not unless you already agreed to a policy and pricing and whatnots. I really don't know as I had insurance for a while and I honestly don't remember how it worked with my very 1st car.

sasukekun
05-19-2004, 04:11 AM
Yea, the guy at AMA said they wouldn't have given me temp insurance if I wasn't with them to begin with. You could always just fully insure it to begin with...

Zero102
05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
If you're already insured (which I know you are not, but maybe somebody out there doesn't know this), and you have all of your vehicles insured with one company (which for most of us is 1 =), then the law says that you are insured for 14 days from the date of purchase of the car, PLPD only. You also have 14 days to transfer the registration. So, if you have current insurance, and you just bought a car, then you can (legally) put your plates on it, and drive it for 14 days. I don't know how that would work if you got pulled over, so I only did it for 2 days (was a weekend when I bought it).

Now, for you, since you do not have any current insurance, you're in a bit of a bind. Option 1, if you know somebody you can really trust, that has insurance (with 1 company), sell the car to them, allow them to drive it back (or if they let you drive, I think it's still covered), then sell it back to yourself when you get where you're going, a little shady, but I think it's still legal. Option 2, if you are planning to insure the car when you get back to Calgary, just go get a policy on it before you go pick it up.

3G
05-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
If you're already insured (which I know you are not, but maybe somebody out there doesn't know this), and you have all of your vehicles insured with one company (which for most of us is 1 =), then the law says that you are insured for 14 days from the date of purchase of the car, PLPD only. You also have 14 days to transfer the registration. So, if you have current insurance, and you just bought a car, then you can (legally) put your plates on it, and drive it for 14 days. I don't know how that would work if you got pulled over, so I only did it for 2 days (was a weekend when I bought it).

There is NO 14 days, you have to have insurance on that car from the minute you drive it off@

Zero102
05-19-2004, 03:53 PM
i know, your insurance company is required to cover it for 14 days. I am NOT saying you don't need insurance for 14 days!

93PGT
05-19-2004, 03:56 PM
When I brought my Probe home, I just put my Jeep plate on it, haha...good thing I didn't get pulled over! :tongue:

fcuk_it
05-19-2004, 04:45 PM
i got pulled over and ticketed 170 for having my current plates on a car i just bought that day and was transporting it home... even if your plate is insured they will still give you a ticket cuz the plates dont match the car...
lesson learnt

93PGT
05-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I was only taking the car about 10km and I drove so safe, lol....making sure I completely stopped at intersections and shit. Haha, so cautious.

Zero102
05-23-2004, 06:36 PM
fcuk_it, if you got that ticket, the cop is full of shit.
You have 14 days to update your registration from when you buy a car. Feel free to call a registry on that one.

Roadrage
05-23-2004, 07:53 PM
fcuk_it, if you got that ticket, the cop is full of shit.
You have 14 days to update your registration from when you buy a car. Feel free to call a registry on that one.

Perhaps on registration but not on insurance. You need to have that car insured as soon as you drive off. Your insurance company is NOT obligated to cover your new car just because you have all your other cars with them. Yes you can legally put the plates from another one of your vehicles onto your new one but you have to let the insurance company know your transferring plates or they can technically say your violating your insurance agreement if you are involved in an accident.

Happened to a co-worker of mine a year or so ago. She bought a car and transferred her plates from a car she had to drive home but didn't let the insurance company know. She got into a fender bender and her insurance company refused to pay out because she didn't insure the new car. She thought she had the "14 days to get insurance switched over."

Zero102
05-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Yes you do have to notify your insurance company, but it is law in Alberta that your insurance company (providing you only have one, otherwise this could lead to fraud) has to cover any vehicle you have just bought for 14 days from the date of purchase.

I wish I could find something written to back this up right now, but I am on my way to bed, it is too late.

joseph
05-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys, but I don't need it anymore. chibi_chas is gonna drive the car to calgary for me. I'm just gonna leave outside my house for a week till i can pay the insurance. Primmium wants like close to 500 for my first payment.

3G
05-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes you do have to notify your insurance company, but it is law in Alberta that your insurance company (providing you only have one, otherwise this could lead to fraud) has to cover any vehicle you have just bought for 14 days from the date of purchase.

I wish I could find something written to back this up right now, but I am on my way to bed, it is too late.

Can you find something ?

Euro_Trash
05-26-2004, 12:22 AM
I heard that if you have a bill of sale, you have a full day from that purchase day of that bill of sale to drive it to where ever, and then insure it from there.... not 100% on that one tho

Akagi Redsuns
05-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks for adding more misinformation into the mix.